Used 2004 Lexus LS 430 Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Lexus Ls-430 - Consumer Reviews

2004 Lexus LS 430

Base 4.3L V8 6-speed Automatic - (169 reviews )

Absolute Perfection
By buckeye30

2004 Lexus LS 430 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 6A)

After I paid of the student loans, I wanted to treat myself with something very special. Though some people called me an old man for choosing LS-430, I didn't care, and WOW. I am mean WOW. This car exceeds all my high engineering expectations, and redefines the definitions of luxury, reliability, fit & finish, and high quality. I don't even know where to start from, but all I can say I am very lucky to be owner of such a magnificent car. It is truly an engineering masterpiece. It takes awhile to understand what a special car it is, and after driving it for some time, you forget how special it is until you drive other cars, or people compliment you.

Favorite Features

1) Powerful, yet smooth and quiet engine. 2) Superb choice of material. 3) Excellent stereo system 4) Full of technology 5) Reliability 6) Gas mileage 7) Safety features 8) Beautifully made interior. 9) Everlasting exterior 10) Headlights 11) Smooth and serene transmission The list goes on and on.

Suggested Improvements

This is a gentlemen's car with ample of horsepower, but not meant to be sporty. It has no problem taking you out of hurry, and the acceleration from 60 to 120 mph is heart pounding. Having said that, I would have liked to have more lower end torque. Give me 50 more horsepower and torque, and it becomes a beast.

From Japan to Germany and back again!
By lexdog71

2004 Lexus LS 430 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 6A)

I had a 1990 LS 400 back when the car first came out, late '89 to 1992. I dropped it, put sweet fat 5-star chrome rims on it and triple-limo tinted all the windows -- burgundy metallic on burgundy leather. That car was 240hp of undeniable quality and perfection. I got a comment everywhere I went; everyone loved that car. I'd take it to Vegas at 130mph like it was nothing! Put 70,000 miles on it in three years and seven years later, I took one in on trade (I was a dealer then) with 280,000 on it -- a black one -- and it started up without a puff and drove like a brand new car!! I've driven an Audi TT quattro cabriolet, a Mercedes S420, 300 SEL, and BMW 540i -- nothing compares to a Lexus LS!

Favorite Features

I hadn't driven a Lex in 20 years but my grandmother got rid of her Q45 for a 2006 LS 430 around her 82nd birthday! I'd driven the car several times and simply loved it! It was everything the 400 was and MORE! Didn't handle like the LS 400, though. The first LS was more like an early 2000s 528i, softer steering. The 430 is like riding on a cloud with effortless thrust and, insulated from the outside world as you are, the car responds to every command without hesitation! The interior puts the German brands to shame, the sheer quality of the leather added to the comfort, is light years beyond what they're doing. Six-speed, Mark Levinson, Navigation, power rear sunshade -- WAY cool!!!

Suggested Improvements

None. Maybe a second 18" chrome wheel option.

Initial Impressions with Used LS430
By new2lexus2

2004 Lexus LS 430 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 6A)

Finally decided to treat ourselves to some luxury and research led us to the Lexus LS...test driving lead us to the 2004 LS430 we recently purchased. At 92,500 miles, and timing belt service just done, we felt this was a bargain luxury vehicle. Initial driving impression has been WoW! Car does have the often reported passenger side-view mirror problem, but that is easily worked around. We opted for the base model with some extras as opposed to the luxury model (we did test drive one). Since our desire was for a vacation and special occasion road car (instead of our 2001 RX300), we wanted the larger trunk. Still plenty of amenities to make it a true pleasure to drive and ride thus far.

Favorite Features

Simply smooth and quite and comfortable and powerful and nice, etc, etc. Did a short trip to the coast and back (about 150 miles) and trip computer showed 27mpg (drove 55-65). Will need more driving to know if this kind of mileage holds up.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing as yet, but still getting acquainted with it. I will say that I have found myself driving way faster than intended, but that is my problem, not the car's.

Land Yacht
By impressive

2004 Lexus LS 430 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 6A)

Bought a 2004 LS 430 used. BEST car I've ever driven, PERIOD. the engine is smooth, the ride is effortless and getting over 28 mpg on the highway with power to spare. Could not be any happier with this car.

Favorite Features

Active headlights that move while cornering.

Suggested Improvements

Bring back the LS 430 look in today's models.

"Conservative, Reliable Luxury"
By Murphy 2010

2004 Lexus LS 430 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 6A)

I have owned and driven many cars in my life from cheap to expensive and I can honestly say that the 2004 Lexus LS430 that I currently have surpasses them all. The car is big but it handles very well and it is very quiet and luxurious and unlike other expensive cars like BMW and Mercedes the Lexus is very reliable so you are not constantly in the shop getting things repaired. The car also is not bad on gas when you compare it to other V-8's and even some V-6's. I also like the fact that although the car is very luxurious it is not ostentatious(flashy)because I am conservative and do not like a lot of attention. Lastly I had heard that Lexus Customer service was outstanding and it is.

Favorite Features

Ride, quality, reliability and the fact that it is conservative looking and does not keep me going back to the shop for repairs. I also like Lexus Customer Service because when I take my car in for routine maintenance they are very attentive, which also contributes to why I like the car.

Suggested Improvements

Have the car run on regular unleaded gasoline and not require premium because gas prices are never going to be low again and premium unleaded gasoline unnecessarily adds to the cost of owning the car especially when most cars nowadays run on regular gasoline (87 octane).