2003 Lexus LS 430 Base Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Lexus Ls-430 - Consumer Reviews

2003 LS 430 Consumer Reviews

Base 4.3L V8 5-speed Automatic - (107 reviews )

Sort Reviews by

no need to buy the warranty
By eazege

2003 Lexus LS 430 Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

My son was born and after much research i bought my wife an 03 LS430 with 90k.Purchased a two year warranty from the dealership which i never used.I have had the car for 3yrs now..not even a mere check engine light.This is the best luxury car for the money period.We love it and compared to benz or a bmw(which i still own )he makes them look like Divas that are all bark no bite.

Favorite Features

reliable,gives you a feeling of confidence on the street or on the freeway.

Suggested Improvements

brakes pads seem to go out rather quickly.

Never satisfied
By never happy

2003 Lexus LS 430 Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

Bought well maintained LS430 with 66,000 miles 9/2009. Smooth, powerful responsive engine and transmission with good control via transmission alternative choices. Nice style, good mileage for size and power. Nice suspension, glad I did not choose harder Euro suspension. Steering too light, too much power assist for my taste.Excellent climate control ( no NAV) layout and function. Standard sound OK but nothing great. Seats look nice but lack lateral and thigh support. Passenger seat too short. NO SECONDARY SUN VISOR? Are you kidding Lexus? Gas pedal and brake too far to left, getting foot in middle of brake takes odd motion. Nice car but wish I had looked more at MB and DTS.

Favorite Features

Engine, transmission, climate controls and function, seat controls (not seats), body fit and finish, nice suspension but a lot of road noise with Nokian tires now on car, soon to be replaced. I never will get another wood steering wheel if I can avoid it; cold, hard, slippery.

Suggested Improvements

Move gas pedal at least one inch to right and brake two inches. Better, more supportive seats, less like LaZBoy. Make remote lock honk horn instead of beep that old folks like me can't hear ( yes, it's turned up all the way) Can't believe Lexus made with no secondary backup sun visor.

Lexus at its best!!
By jakemt

2003 Lexus LS 430 Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I recently purchased this car used. Out of all the series of the LS, this is probably the best. Also, if buying used, make sure the previous owner(s) maintained it properly as this will have a huge bearing on the current condition of the car. I had a 2000 LS400 that was poorly maintained previously and the transmission started slipping on me. I also test drove a used LS460 but did not feel as comfortable as the 430. It felt too stiff for my taste as I live in pot- holed NYC. Surprisingly, I'm getting almost 20 mpg in city driving. So far, great car!

Favorite Features

Mark Levinson Audio, Comfort, Quiet

Suggested Improvements

Exterior looks do not match interior & general quality & status of the car.

Certified Pre-Owned Purchase
By Certified Pre-Owned

2003 Lexus LS 430 Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

This car was a great for my luxury driving experience. The ride is so smooth as if I was riding on air. The cost for ownership was far better than other luxury cars. The extending warranty work just wonderfully. I love my certified pre-owned Lexus.

Favorite Features

power trunk opener,

Suggested Improvements

radiator coolant bottle

Brake replacement needed every 40,000
By lexygirl

2003 Lexus LS 430 Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I absolutely adore the LS 430. I owned an Explorer pre LS and I will never go back. Maintenance on my LS 430 is less than I paid on my Ford! It drives like a dream in town & the hwy. The gas mileage is pretty good for the wt of the vehicle and everyone is always comfortable. I feel very safe and secure & do not worry about being stranded. I put a set of brakes on front and rear at 34,000 and now at 76,500 they are telling me I need front and rear brakes again. Leaves me wondering-shouldn't brakes last longer. I am not a 2 ft driver nor do I slam the brakes at stops.The other issue I have is the trunk will not stay open on its own. Other than these two issues I am SOLD on this brand.

Favorite Features

Handling, heated seats, controls on steering wheel

Buy again.. after 200k more mile
By Great car!

2003 Lexus LS 430 Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

The only thing this car needs is 4 wheel drive. Otherwise, this car has everything you could possibly want. This is my second Lexus (LS 400). I bought both used. This one I bought for 22k and 60,000 miles. It will easily last to 200k and only go into shop for routine maintance.

Favorite Features

Navigation, AC, seats, trunk, comfort, room, cooled and heated seats, quiet.

Suggested Improvements

4 wheel drive.

An awesome car
By Second LS

2003 Lexus LS 430 Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I have had a 96 LS, 2000 RX, and a 2003 GS. This is by far my favorite Lexus. I am 6'2 and about 300 lbs and this car has an abundant amt of room. Navigation is awesome. My son won't stop playing with it! My only issue is paint chips on the front. This is a great car!

Favorite Features

Power, room, comfort, reliability.

Suggested Improvements

All wheel drive.

Ultra lex.
By Ultra Lex.

2003 Lexus LS 430 Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

The look, the feel you get when you drive this car. The ultra luxury Lexus has all the gadgets. Heated/cooled seats front and back, massages, reclining back seats. And don't forget the cooler in the back for your drinks. Wow, this is just the beginning.

Favorite Features

All the gadgets you get with a great price!

Suggested Improvements

All-wheel drive instead of trac-control.

Luxury at a reasonable price
By Ed Howard

2003 Lexus LS 430 Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

This is the most quiet vehicle I have ever been in. Not good in snow because of the rear wheel drive. Other than snow the handling is excellent. The controls should be simplified. My wife hates the confusion which is OK with me as she prefers to drive the Ford Explorer! I just replaced the brakes, rotors and tires. This is the first money spent in the 2 years I owned the car.

Favorite Features

GPS

Suggested Improvements

Simplify the controls. Get rid of rear wheel drive.

Saved my life
By Carolyn

2003 Lexus LS 430 Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

Over all a good vehicle Saved my life Had an accident and all personnel at scene said I should have been dead. I rolled down a 20 foot embankment and took out 25 feet of concrete fence. I broke a finger nail and have bruises and a deep laceration on my right arm. A large animal ran out in front of me at night on a rural road. Instead of hitting it I swerved.

Favorite Features

Heated and air contioned seata

Suggested Improvements

I would like to see a cell phone plug be put in place in order that you do not have to keep ashtray open.