2002 Lexus LS 430 - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.3L V8 5-speed Automatic - (65 reviews )
LS and more
By lexx2 on 12/19/07 16:11 PM (PST)

2002 Lexus LS 430 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

The LS 430 was a step up from my ES 300. The features are abundant, yet fade away fairly quickly. The car is quiet and extremely comfortable. The front seat gives the feeling of driving a smaller car, but the rear seat passengers have all the room anyone could want. I enjoy the nav system and the Mark Levinson stereo is fantastic. Suprisingly, the car handles extremely well in the snow and slop of a Cleveland winter. The VSC and "snow" button do make a difference in the handling and performance. The gas mileage is something I should have paid a bit more attention to. I get about 17 - 19 in the city and 24 on the highway. My twin engine boat came a close 2nd in fuel burn!

From ES to LS
By John L on 10/23/07 19:49 PM (PDT)

2002 Lexus LS 430 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

After owning an ES 300, my next natural move was to an LS 430. I cannot imagine owning anything else but a Lexus.

Certified Buyer
By Eric L. on 05/30/07 07:53 AM (PDT)

2002 Lexus LS 430 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I bought this car as certified and received an extra 3 years or up to 100k miles on it so that makes me comfortable. I am 6'4" and weigh 240 lbs and I found this car to be quite comfortable and spacious for my size. The head room is plentiful as well the leg room in the front. I got out of the vehicle and sat in the rear passenger seat directly behind the driver and my legs did not touch the seat. The acceleration for a luxury sedan is great. On the open road I would accelerate to the low three digits and the car kept up with my demands. Also I found the drive to be very smooth, quiet, relaxing, fun and enjoyable.

Be reasonable in expectations
By Eriks on 02/09/07 10:27 AM (PST)

2002 Lexus LS 430 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

After following Edmunds reviews I finally decided to purchase the 2002 model with all options included. The car is reasonably well built but has its limits. The engine starting process is rather loud to compare with idle. Steering wheel leather deteriorated quickly. Instead of road noise, the wheels/tires seem to produce constant unpleasant hiss. Two separate thermometers show outside temperature while the driver has no idea what the inside temp levels are. Sound system is good but with very limited adjustment possibilities. Radio often loses station in city driving and this downgrades the overall sound. Change of gears from 2nd to 3rd is late for 1 sec driving normally without kick-down.

Driveable Livingroom
By D Norman on 01/30/07 06:46 AM (PST)

2002 Lexus LS 430 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

This is my second LS series. This is by far the most comfortable automobile I have ever driven and I have driven hundreds. I purchased the Ultra Luxury Package this time and the amenities and ride are absolutely unsurpassed. My wife and I drove to Florida last summer, 2700 miles in all and the level of comfort could not have been better. There are copiers, i.e. the 07 Big Mercedes and BMW's,but they don't quite compare the the ride, reliability and comfort of the LS 430 Ultra. Superb motorcar.

Best Luxury Car Value
By Scott on 12/15/06 18:12 PM (PST)

2002 Lexus LS 430 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

Doing my homework paid off. I wanted the best luxury vehicle for the money and I found it with the LS 430. Smooth, powerful, quiet and comfortable are all great words to describe this car. Sitting at a stop light, you won't know the engine is running. At 70+ mph, the LS 430 glides down the highway. For my money, there is no option. Lexus clearly makes the best full size luxury sedan.

KEH review of 2002 Lexus LS430
By Janice R. Heugel on 10/11/05 11:24 AM (PDT)

2002 Lexus LS 430 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

The best car we have owned. Fully adjustable to make passengers comfortrable. Only minor problems readily and easily corrected by regular maintenance and dealer service. Highly recommend.

Great car!
By lymanls2 on 09/23/05 15:51 PM (PDT)

2002 Lexus LS 430 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

The car does everything a luxury sedan should do, and does it well. It is dependable, good looking, smooth riding, powerful, spacious inside without being bulky outside, and has a big trunk for lots of cargo. I could not be happier with a car.

2002 Lexus LS430
By Eric on 09/13/05 10:08 AM (PDT)

2002 Lexus LS 430 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

This is my first luxury car and bought used to avoid sticker shock. The only item needing warranty replacement were the two gas-filled lifters for the trunk's lid. I bought as "like new" with 23K on the clock. The original owner replaced the Yoko 390's with Michelin XSE MXV4's as they wore out too soon. The ride is not super quiet over interstate pavement joints which may be exasperated by these new tires. I don't know. Also, the AC is so powerful that even in a Gulf Coast summer the fan speed on "Auto" has to be manually moderated. This involves using the Navigation touch screen. A nice problem to have though in Houston. I am 100% happy with this car even in our new era of $3/gallon gas.

Great car-----except for.....
By carbuff on 08/07/05 01:22 AM (PDT)

2002 Lexus LS 430 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I have owned every luxury car known to man. This is the best. This is the second LS that I have owned. It is dealer certified with 28,000 miles and was almost $20,000 less than a brand new one. You can't go wrong buying a certified car. I don't think that there is a better car made at any price -- including the Mercedes S model. You might find more features -- but not a better car.