2001 Lexus LS 430 Base Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Lexus Ls-430 - Consumer Reviews

2001 LS 430 Consumer Reviews

Base 4.3L V8 5-speed Automatic - (44 reviews )

Sort Reviews by

IM MARRIED TO LEXUS FOREVER!!
By leemz179

2001 Lexus LS 430 Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I bought this car after my 1999 LS got totaled. I also had a 93 LS, 98 GS, and 93 ES before. All great and reliable cars, with the ES being the least reliable if that even makes sense. I was in love with the 99, really loved that car, but after picking this one up in New Jersey at Lawrenceville Lexus, its just all around greatness. Purchased in December at 112k, it is now at 120k. Besides the 120k I just did, all I've changed was the front brakes, rotors. Very comfortable, economical(20-24 MPG HWY/CITY combined), fast when you need it to, and hugs the road pretty well. The only quirk I have is the Mark Levinson speakers. The front speakers have blown, and I replaced sub with Polk Audio

Favorite Features

Everything except Mark Levinson system, not much more greater than Pioneer in my opinion. Still sounds awesome

Suggested Improvements

Better Quality made speaker materials, better stock wheels

Still Going - Best Car Ever Built
By lexusls430

2001 Lexus LS 430 Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

Its 2012 and my 2001 LS430 is still running strong. For all who have the Levinson system, its great until the speaker rattles. Don't buy a new one, you can have it re-coned for $40.00 rather than $400.00 for a new one. I've done that twice and replaced an o2 sensor. Aside from regular maintenance those are the only issues I've ever really had. I have a buddy who racked up 280k on his and still going. I'm now at 160k and have no plans for a new car. Before this, I was a euro lux driver. I'll never go back.

Favorite Features

Interior build quality. All buttons and guages work perfectly and look new after 11 years in the Florida sun.

Suggested Improvements

None

Best there is!
By 01LS430

2001 Lexus LS 430 Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

Amazing. Currently have almost 130k on car. Owned for 3 years with no issues whatsoever. Great for trips. Get 25-30mpg on hwy. City is 14-18mpg. Wish I could have splurged for the 05-06 with the newer styling. Would def do it all over again.

Favorite Features

Smooth. Acceleration. Everything is lit (door handle, all buttons, floor, etc).

Suggested Improvements

Styling. Rain sense wipers need a little improvement.

Great luxury, Expensive parts!
By Roger

2001 Lexus LS 430 Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I bought this car used at auction when it had 65K miles. I now have 140K on it and it runs great. It is wonderfully luxurious, has a powerful engine, and very few things go wrong. But when they do, very few if any companies other than Lexus make parts (too few LS430's to make it worthwhile to them), and Lexus takes merciless advantage of their monopoly. Only Lexus sold the two catalytic converters I needed (budget about $1500 installed each), a pipe for the exhaust is $1200 uninstalled (mechanic told me it's $200 for other cars), even an extra key will set you back $200-$300!

Favorite Features

Luxury, lack of road noise, reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Not ripping off customers on parts. A premium is understandable, but just because I have a used Lexus doesn't mean I'm a millionaire, or don't mind being so obviously ripped off!

Total Comfort
By Tom

2001 Lexus LS 430 Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

Bought used with 18,000 miles, now have 77,000. Have replaced brake pads, air mass flow meter (because I broke it cleaning it), trunk struts, battery, tires and have serviced according to the owners manual. No major mechanical problems. Its like driving around in your living room. Silky smooth. No squeaks, rattles or wind noise. This is an extremely well built and designed car.

Favorite Features

lighting, horsepower and quietness. the power transmission option for more speed to merge w/ traffic.

Suggested Improvements

better trunk struts, regular fuel option,

Lexus LS430
By Lexus Driver

2001 Lexus LS 430 Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

Third Lexus, 2nd LS430, LS400 parents still driving. Regretted trading in 1st LS430. Have owned 3 Benz, 2 BMW, 1 BMW M Package, 300ZX, RX-7, Porsche 356C, Triumph etc. Current LS430 Ultra Luxury, Acceleration, handling, Wife likes it!, Unbelievable luxury, cooled seats, rear reclining/vibrator seats, rear cooler, radar dynamic cruise collision detection. Can raise height of car to avoid front bumper scrapes. Rides like silent luxurious limousine, then switch to sport mode adaptive air suspension, power mode and takes off, accelerates and corners like a much smaller sports car, grips better than expected, very difficult to reach limit when dynamic stability control engages. 27 MPG HWY.

Favorite Features

Too many features & they all work well. Reliability, build quality, Reclining, massaging, heated, air cooled seats, adaptive air suspension, dynamic cruise control. But most importantly, a silent luxurious car that can instantly transform into a growling, tossable, performance sedan. 27 MPG HWY.

Suggested Improvements

The exterior styling is not inspiring and does not match the rest of the car, but at this point in my life, I prefer to drive a car that does not attract attention. I like the LS400 exterior styling the best, I do not like the LS460 as much. I await the next Lexus LS rendition.

Our experience over 7.5 years
By bob

2001 Lexus LS 430 Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

We have never had a mechanical problem with this car since the day we purchased it. We did have to replace the stereo amp, but in 7.5 years we felt we couldn't complain. Great car, great dealership.

Favorite Features

performance and ride are exceptional

Love for Life
By Philly LS

2001 Lexus LS 430 Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I bought this used LS with Navi with 75,000 miles on it a year ago and now I have put 12,000 miles on it with no problems. The Navigation is very good the turning radius unbelievable. Drove from Phila to Raleigh NC with no problems. I will trade this for a newer model in a few years. I love this car over a 1997 740 I had and a 2000 S500.

Favorite Features

Navigation, turning radius, quietness, smooth ride

Suggested Improvements

I got the worst factory rims they are ugly!. I want to upgrade to 18" chrome

Unreal Automobile
By LS Ultra Lux

2001 Lexus LS 430 Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

This is by far the most exceptional car on the road. We have The Ultra Lux, blk/blk, with stock chrome 17" wheels and bordeaux wood trim. Every option possible except the phone. Bought the car with 58k miles and now have 78k. Unreal experience. I have never been into cars, but this has changed me for sure. My dad was a Benz guy and I would never buy one after having the total Lexus experience. We have put 20k miles on it and it is solid as rock and the fit and finish is as good as new. My wife drives it and loves her 60 mile daily commute in Atlanta traffic. We get comments/looks all the time. Very sharp car.

Favorite Features

There are so many, I don't know where to start. Maybe rear reclining seats and massagers! It is bullet proof with no real problems so far. Highway cruising is sweet at 90-100 mph and 26 mpg, too. All the luxury on the inside, deathly quiet, classic exterior look!

Suggested Improvements

The Mark Levinson has amazing separation and clarity, but it could have more power. Subwoofer blew which I hear is quite common. My only concern is what's next? Moving up to 2004 Generation or 460? I don't think either looks as sharp as the Gen III model. Maybe we'll just keep this one.

WOW, what a machine
By Wayne

2001 Lexus LS 430 Sedan 4dr Sedan (4.3L 8cyl 5A)

I have owned this car for seven years and have enjoyed every minute. We have owned some of the finest sedans and this car takes all honors! We just finished a 3000 mile road trip and averaged 24 miles per gallon and of course, had zero trouble. This Ultra cruise control makes long trips very enjoyable, nearly drives itself!

Favorite Features

Navigation and intuitive cruise control This car has features that the 2008s don't have, such as reclining, vibrating rear seats!!

Suggested Improvements

Back up camera which the newer models include.