Used 2000 Lexus LS 400 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Lexus Ls-400 - Consumer Reviews

2000 Lexus LS 400

Base 4.0L V8 5-speed Automatic - (29 reviews )

Most Helpful|
Expected more
By Jim

2000 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

I did not expect to have to have a valve adjustment done at 70,000 miles that cost $850. Nor did I expect climate control and steering components, as well a clock to stop functioning. I had none of these problems with our Camry.

Favorite Features

Smooth ride

Suggested Improvements

Needs better fuel economy

Over hyped
By Gramps42

2000 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

Am finding this vehicle transmits road noise into the cabin (not a quite or particular smooth ride). Ride is so/so and not as good as the Rivera we owned before we bought this car. Handling is ok not stellar. Transmision is the best and smoothest I have ever driven. Engine is great. Would not purchase another Lexus as I feel that they are not worth the $ for a pre-owned. The certified pre-owned is not worth the extra $ either.

Favorite Features

Transmision and engine.

Suggested Improvements

Better ride.

SUPER RELIABILITY & COMFORT
By Steve C.

2000 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

Bought pre-owned @ 3 yr. old but with only 6800 miles. Have since pumped up to 56k. Now 9 yrs. old and have not put a single penny into it beyond maintenance. Drive is uninspiring around town but a champ on the highway. Cruises with uncanny smoothness. A true luxury ride with exceptional quietness. Blah, grandpa-like exterior (and who designed the ugliest alloy wheels ever?) but interior is attractive and plush. I probably won't but could keep car for another 15 years and it would still be an enjoyable ride. A bit jumpy off the mark. Even if you try to moderate throttle it tends to leap off line. Surprisingly fuel efficient on hwy (up to 28 mph) but premium a must. Mileage suffers otherwise.

Favorite Features

Touch screen controls. Memo-adjust seat/mirrors/wheel (I am 6'3", my wife a foot shorter!). Like ability to easily downshift to 4/3 gears. Best on long highway trips where it is like a mobile living room. Exceptionally quiet.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders too small. Oddity: when below 30 degrees exterior temp, the interior temperature control and display don't work--until car warms and you re-start. Weird. Truck too small for such a big vehicle.

Best Car Ever
By Sadie Benning

2000 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

I've driven many cars over the years and this Lexus is by far the best. My previous was a Toyota Celica Convertible, which was also as reliable, but after 12 years I wanted more comfort. I found it!

Favorite Features

Ease of driving

Suggested Improvements

Improve the drink holder

Great, But Not Exciting
By cecurr

2000 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

This is an excellent car. The LS 400 is all a luxury car should be. It's quiet, comfortable and powerful. The fit and finish is unmatched. I'm still amazed with the car power and acceleration, yet how quiet it is at all speeds. The tranny shifts so smoothly you can barely feel it. Great gas mileage for car size @ 18/25 city and highway. The car is so good to ride and drive, it's almost boring.

Favorite Features

Styling, engine / tranny performance and interior comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Improve steering feel and feedback. Standard sound system is weak. Improve lower front bumper paint from so easily eroding away from road salt. Make steering wheel audio controls standard.