The 2nd Lexus ....
By steve397 on
1999 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan
This is my second Lexus. First was a 2001 ES 300 and I still think it is an excellent vehicle. But the 400 is truly the embodiment of comfort. At 63, fun driving is being able to drive for 6 hours to the mountains and arrive relaxed and able to enjoy the football game; Or drive to the formal New Year's Eve gala in comfort and style. The gas mileage is excellent, 29.5 on the highway trips (I use the ES300 around town). The back seat is so relaxing, our guests usually fall asleep on the trip. The CD/stereo is very fine. Terrific car.
Favorite Features
Lexus cars are incredibly durable, reliable, comfortable and quick. They cruise for hours so easily and comfortably. In the long run, they are very cheap to own due to their durability. My mechanic loves the car. He says the inner workings are "art, pure art". He said that after changing the timing belt and water pump at 53,000 miles just last month. (I know, 13 years old, only 53,000 miles). Looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor. Even the leather still looks and feels great.
Suggested Improvements
My 400 doesn't have heated front seats, but hopefully they can be added. The cupholders are a constant source of amusement... Surprise, it won't run with a Ferrari around the turns. Actually, the 98, 99 and 00s are very hard to fault, being the very best evolutions of the original LS400. Try one of these in excellent condition. You wont be disappointed.
By steve397
on 12/27/11 15:55 PM (PST)

The highway mileage is driving on 460 west from the coast of Virginia to the mountains. The speed limit there varies from 45 to 65, but most of it is 55. I drove 62 most of the way and at 68 when the limit went to 65. I use BP 93 octane and synthetic oil and differential fluid. The car was serviced just before the trip. It actually averaged 29.6 on the round trip (a little more than 600 miles). Since then, I've done the trip at 28.6, addling a little to the speed (5mph). If you can get one of these in good shape, DO IT. It is the very best car I've ever owned (Healey, Jaguar, Hondas, Camrys, Galant, Buick, etc.) and frankly, it isn't a close contest.

By steve397
on 12/27/11 16:02 PM (PST)

One other thing about the mileage: I did put a coat of Maguir's cleaner wax followed by a coat of Maguir's Gold Class paste wax on the car. It was super slick for the trip. I strongly believe that a recent coat of wax adds at least 1 or 2 mpg to the result for most cars. I know I get the same phenomenon on my Lexus ES 300 (better gas mileage with a recent wax job).