Excellent, comfortable car
By micahberry on
1999 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan
Excels on the interstate, where it absorbs pavement irregularities superbly. It is a comfortable traveling car for my family. This is not a back road burner – the LS400 features a lot of body roll, which is to be expected as part of the design. You will be hard pressed to find a more comfortable long-range cruising car. I purchased this car with 113k miles. As of this writing, it has 140k. I have had to replace the starter, which I have learned through owner’s forums is a wearable item. In addition, rubber suspension bushings on the car should be replaced to keep the incredible Lexus ride. Thankfully, they don’t need to be replaced but once every 10 years or so!
Favorite Features
Classic exterior design has aged well. Interior in my car has also held up very well for the age and mileage. My car features the stock stereo. It sounds great! Radio reception is less than stellar. I use my iPhone connected to the stereo via a cassette adapter almost exclusively now. Sounds great! CDs through the 6 disc changer still sound just a bit better, but I'm happy. HID headlights are self adjusting and very bright. Dual climate zones keep my wife and I happy - and the heated seats also help. Quiet and smooth ride. Excellent fuel economy for a V8 (getting 29 mpg on the interstate at 70 mph). In town at 22 mpg average economy.
Suggested Improvements
The trunk is smaller than I expected considering the size of the car. This design was improved with the LS430 beginning in 2001. Clear coat over the wood portion of the steering wheel is prone to thin cracks. The LCD display of the radio is prone to fade out. This a relatively inexpensive fix, more of an inconvenience. Cup holders could be larger. They're large enough for a medium soda, which means they're not large enough for insulated coffee mugs.