Used 1999 Lexus LS 400 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Lexus Ls-400 - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.0L V8 5-speed Automatic - (31 reviews )

Most Helpful|
99 LS400
By Richard Corder

1999 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

My 3rd Lexus, the most reliable brand I have even owned. Zero problems with the car, strong performance, highway mileage is in excess of 27 mpg. Dealer service is outstanding, follow up from the manufacturer is excellent.

Favorite Features

Power, comfort, nav system and stereo.

Suggested Improvements

Remote control buttons on the steering wheel for control of sound system.

Mercedes S Class vs LS 400
By james r

1999 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

The Mercedes seats are bigger.You can't get the Lexus seat to go parallel like the mercedes seat.The Lexus will reach 130 like you are going 90 but the mercedes feels safer and you don't feel a detached from the road. I like the Mercedes larger steering wheel which makes a real difference at hgh speeds. the LS 400 is virtually maintenance free The interior of S class is much nicer.The cheap sun visors of the LS 400 and head linner are pretty sorry when you look at Merceds even 20yrs.ago The fuel economy in the Lexus is averaging 18-19mpg/city 24-26.9 hwy @75- 85mph The omputer of the Lexus is always off 1-1.5mpg. I still want a newer S class class

Favorite Features

I like the quiet ride, good fuel economy on the hwy.and very inexpensive repairs and maintenance.

Suggested Improvements

The seats are too small compared to the Mercedes ie the bottom seat needs to be a couple inches longer. The lumbar support is not adjustable ie up and down like Mercedes The rear windows don't go all the way down the way down. The rear leg room needs at least 3-6 more inches

Excellent, comfortable car
By micahberry

1999 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

Excels on the interstate, where it absorbs pavement irregularities superbly. It is a comfortable traveling car for my family. This is not a back road burner – the LS400 features a lot of body roll, which is to be expected as part of the design. You will be hard pressed to find a more comfortable long-range cruising car. I purchased this car with 113k miles. As of this writing, it has 140k. I have had to replace the starter, which I have learned through owner’s forums is a wearable item. In addition, rubber suspension bushings on the car should be replaced to keep the incredible Lexus ride. Thankfully, they don’t need to be replaced but once every 10 years or so!

Favorite Features

Classic exterior design has aged well. Interior in my car has also held up very well for the age and mileage. My car features the stock stereo. It sounds great! Radio reception is less than stellar. I use my iPhone connected to the stereo via a cassette adapter almost exclusively now. Sounds great! CDs through the 6 disc changer still sound just a bit better, but I'm happy. HID headlights are self adjusting and very bright. Dual climate zones keep my wife and I happy - and the heated seats also help. Quiet and smooth ride. Excellent fuel economy for a V8 (getting 29 mpg on the interstate at 70 mph). In town at 22 mpg average economy.

Suggested Improvements

The trunk is smaller than I expected considering the size of the car. This design was improved with the LS430 beginning in 2001. Clear coat over the wood portion of the steering wheel is prone to thin cracks. The LCD display of the radio is prone to fade out. This a relatively inexpensive fix, more of an inconvenience. Cup holders could be larger. They're large enough for a medium soda, which means they're not large enough for insulated coffee mugs.

Quality,quality and boring
By mid-lifer

1999 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

The quality of this car is outstanding. In many ways better than it's German rivals. I have had no problems at all with car. The dealer is the best I have come across. The down side is it is a bore to drive. After a drive up the Oregon coast I turned to my wife and said I'm selling the car.

Favorite Features

Interior quality.

Suggested Improvements

Needs a bit more horsepower, a new design and better cornering. Perhaps a high performance option like Audi etc.

Super Car
By Mike

1999 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

I bought the LS 400 certified pre-owned. The car is now almost 8 years old and it rides beautifully to this day. I had one minor mechanical issue early on fixed under warranty. Overall I am very happy.

Favorite Features

Ride, styling, reliability.