1999 Lexus LS 400 - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.0L V8 5-speed Automatic - (31 reviews )
The most reliable & comfortable car in the world!
By afriend4life on 08/31/13 22:27 PM (PDT)

1999 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

I've owned a dozen cars in the past: 2 Cadillac's, Jaguar, 3 BMW's, Infiniti, Corvette - most I've owned for 12-15 months and had to invest $1700-$3300 per year on maintenance. I've owned '99 LS400 for 3+ years & it has been the most reliable car I've ever owned - my ex, Lexus SC430 was just as good, & they both have the "world's most reliable engine" award. I do a safety inspection once a year & surprised to hear that all is good, no problems with suspension, engine or transmission. I'm only changing oil every 10K miles (using Amsoil), brakes last long & tires are good for 70K miles. Besides better handling that my ex-BMW 540i had - this Lexus has been such a pleasure to own & joy to ride!

Excellent, comfortable car
By micahberry on 03/05/12 10:47 AM (PST)

1999 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

Excels on the interstate, where it absorbs pavement irregularities superbly. It is a comfortable traveling car for my family. This is not a back road burner – the LS400 features a lot of body roll, which is to be expected as part of the design. You will be hard pressed to find a more comfortable long-range cruising car. I purchased this car with 113k miles. As of this writing, it has 140k. I have had to replace the starter, which I have learned through owner’s forums is a wearable item. In addition, rubber suspension bushings on the car should be replaced to keep the incredible Lexus ride. Thankfully, they don’t need to be replaced but once every 10 years or so!

the legend lives on !
By rockinbaz on 02/05/12 11:45 AM (PST)

1999 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

hi this is the 6th lexus ls400 i have owned and they really are the best kept secret , its so so quiet , its the "sound of silence " the one i have now is a late 1999 model with cream/beige soft leather, its got more toys than toys r us...i did have a 430 but i like the 400 better its done 152 k i paid £2000 for it its just fantastic i would like to have one of the last 100 built in 2000 , and before i pop my clogs i will have one, i am 69 and i live in bolto ... oh and the dealers are simply the best a lexus owner can get !

It's True, the BEST Sedan Made
By MrPino on 11/19/11 19:32 PM (PST)

1999 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

I've owned over 50 cars in my old age and the 99 LS400 is one of the best. I also have a LS430 but find myself driving the LS400 the most. These cars are powerful, quiet, extremely relaxing to drive and get very good gas mileage. With proper maintenance, the LS400 will go 400,000 miles without a problem. I've owned 21 different Lexus cars and still consider the 1998-2000 year models to be the best.

The 2nd Lexus ....
By steve397 on 11/05/11 17:32 PM (PDT)

1999 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

This is my second Lexus. First was a 2001 ES 300 and I still think it is an excellent vehicle. But the 400 is truly the embodiment of comfort. At 63, fun driving is being able to drive for 6 hours to the mountains and arrive relaxed and able to enjoy the football game; Or drive to the formal New Year's Eve gala in comfort and style. The gas mileage is excellent, 29.5 on the highway trips (I use the ES300 around town). The back seat is so relaxing, our guests usually fall asleep on the trip. The CD/stereo is very fine. Terrific car.

The envy of all other manufacturers...
By CloudNine on 10/21/09 21:27 PM (PDT)

1999 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

This is my second LS-400. Prior car was a '92 model. '98-00 version has many improvements over earlier models. VVTi, 5-speed trans, far more European 'feel' overall. Nakamichi audio is only bested by newer Mark Levinson system. Seats are quite firm but offer excellent support. Onboard trip computer is fun to toy with. Excellent fuel economy for a 3900-lb. vehicle, ranging as high as 33mpg on straight highway runs. Averaging 23 overall (mostly city). Only use genuine Toyota T-IV fluid when servicing the trans! Keep the oil clean and the 1UZ-FE engine should last forever. Styling has aged very gracefully. Still attracts attention even though 10 years old. HID headlamps excel. Pleased overall.

Best Lexus ever made
By anna on 04/11/09 20:29 PM (PDT)

1999 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

Best Lexus ever mAde. Best car money can buy you, no mechanical problems, no oil leaks. It mind bubling that germans can't make qualiy cars. I never see BMW, MB, VW or AUDI with 100000 miles and no leaks. But Lexus can go no problem to 300,000 miles without any issues. It is a tank-comfy one, looking good, very fast. If you're willing to pay a speeding ticket just hit the accelerator and in a heartbeat you get 155 mph. I did update my wheels to 18", that got me big improvement in handling and cornering, it was worth it. Car that you could trust, will not get you stuck.

An Experience
By Harold on 10/11/07 01:06 AM (PDT)

1999 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

Simply the absolute best car I have ever owned out of 15 vehicles. What more can one say except hearty congratulations to all the engineers, technicians and stylists who did the outstanding work on ths car. As someone has already so aptly said in describing this vehicle, "Cocooned tranquility".

Super Car
By Mike on 03/18/07 15:18 PM (PDT)

1999 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

I bought the LS 400 certified pre-owned. The car is now almost 8 years old and it rides beautifully to this day. I had one minor mechanical issue early on fixed under warranty. Overall I am very happy.

A wonderful car
By JC on 01/25/07 12:27 PM (PST)

1999 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

I've now owned my 99 LS for about 2.5 years. I've driven the car about 20K per year since I got it and it's really a remarkable riding and driving car. It's not a car of feeling as your almost numbly fixed to your seat. Once you drive other cars, you'll really notice the exceptional quality of ride, solidity, and performance. This big car handles good too. This car is superlative when it comes to being practical. It costs a third less than a Jag, it has comfy room for 5, rides like a Lincoln, fast as a Mustang, a teen sound system, great gas mileage, looks great and half the cost of a Benz to maintain - still a bit pricey.