Used 1998 Lexus LS 400 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Lexus Ls-400 - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.0L V8 5-speed Automatic - (40 reviews )

My second Lexus
By Barney

1998 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

I bought my first an ES 300 in 2000 for my wife to be, she loved it but I loved it more. I sold it to my brother in law after we were married and got my wife a Mercedes and almost a divorce. Needless to say I bought her a 1998 LS 400 from original owner that was impeccable and I found my true love. This is the best motor car for price, comfort, reliability in its class. This is as good as it gets! Classic styling, smooth riding and dependability. I love this car almost as much as my wife!!

Favorite Features

Power when you need it and comfort all the time. I'm always looking for a new road trip!

Suggested Improvements

This is a 1998, they have done what needs to be done.

Wife's car
By ronjenkinsdc

1998 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

Great car. purchased used in 2003 with 120K and has been the best car I have owned.

Favorite Features

Ride comfort and interior sound levels.

Suggested Improvements

Premium fuel is not cheap.

Best Car Ever
By R Smalls

1998 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for 3 weeks and it is hard for me not to make excuses to drive somewhere. The comfort and quality is unmatched. I also enjoy the power of 290 HP which will sprint from a traffic light as fast as a sports car. All this and it is 8 years old!! I get so many stares and compliments that it makes me want to blush!This is definitely a car that I will keep for years to come. Oh yeah I was a little disappointed that I did not get the Nakamichi Stereo. No need to be the Lexus Premier system is also incredible. I compared the MB E430 and the GS 400 which I almost bought. But after driving the LS 400 it was the best of both worlds. Speed. Power. Luxury. Can you tell how much I like this car!!!!

Favorite Features

290 HP, 300 Torque. Overall Comfort

Suggested Improvements

None. I think that Lexus nailed it on this one and they are trying to hit the mark again!

The Best Car Ever
By Midprof

1998 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

Let me begin by telling you that I've owned many different cars...American..Never again, German...great cars but high maintanence...Japanese Lexus...the BEST ride ever...maybe doesn't handle as well as a Beemer...but reliability, Quality and plushness....this car has it all....

Favorite Features

The whole car is unbelievable... smooth ride, sleek look, GPS, Low maintenance.

Suggested Improvements

None....The best family car ever built!

A Dream Automobile
By Dr. J

1998 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

The LS 400 is unbelievably comfortable and quiet. Trips of 3 or more hours are a piece of cake. It handles well for a luxury sedan and gets surprisingly good gas mileage for a V8. As others have said, the workmanship is unparalleled. This is far and away the finest automobile I have owned. My wife has an Infiniti that I thought was top shelf until I bought the Lexus LS 400 - there is no comparison.

Favorite Features

Reliability and workmanship. The car has required absolutely no maintenance other than regularly scheduled oil changes.

Suggested Improvements

I agree that the accelerator can be a bit tricky. I expected the trunk to be larger for a full-sixed car. My wife's I-30 has a larger trunk than the Lexus.