1998 Lexus LS 400 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.0L V8 5-speed Automatic - (38 reviews )
sweet chariot
By nseversole95 on 05/03/14 14:24 PM (PDT)

1998 Lexus LS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I baught this car new in January of 1998. I paid $62500 for it and it has been worth every penny. I love it. it rides like a cloud and it will out run any Camaro or mustang on the road. I would recommend this car to anyone . repairs are a bit pricey but it is a luxery car. this car has probably the best sound system I have ever heard. 16 years later it now has 170,000 miles on it and it run and drives like brand new.

Perfection
By map64 on 08/08/13 11:10 AM (PDT)

1998 Lexus LS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

Bought a 1998LS 400 with 140K miles on it 4 months ago. I am amazed by the performance and reliability of a 15 year old car by the way it puts many of the new cars on the road to shame, particularly luxury sedans of the same age. The best compliment for this car happened when my 15 years said she wants one too because the ride is so smooth, quiet and fast (when needed)!!

Great Luxury Flagship
By 90lsguy on 10/27/12 16:00 PM (PDT)

1998 Lexus LS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

After my 250k miles 1990 LS400 got trashed in a hail storm, I had to find a suitable replacement. After extensive research the 1998-2000 LS400 models fit the bill-40 more hp(290), 5 speed transmission, VSC and V8vvti engine. I bought online a one-owner, dealer-serviced, full records 1998 in mint condition that sold new for $59k. My test drive was the 1400 mile effortless drive back to Denver. Got 30mpg hwy doing 80mph with A/C on. The car absolutely looks and performs as new. The service history consists only of factory-recommended maintenance; nothing ever broke. A full dealer inspection after my trip revealed no issues. Spectacular vehicle for one-tenth cost new.

Best Used Car Purchase EVER!
By jt821 on 07/12/12 08:07 AM (PDT)

1998 Lexus LS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought the car three years ago w/ 80k. I now have a bit over 140. Absolutely no problems whatsoever. I did the 90k maintenance which was about $1000, but was very extensive. The car is comfortable, quick, and surprisingly economical. Every once in a while I get the itch to buy a new car, but think what could I replace this with that would come close. The answer is nothing. I have two other Lexus's that I bought used, a '92 SC300, and a '95 ES 300 and have been just as fortunate with those. My daughter now has the ES at college with 260k, and my SC is my weekend car with 180k.

I miss my Lexus!
By drblptq on 03/26/11 10:29 AM (PDT)

1998 Lexus LS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I once told my close friends if I ever sell this car to please take me out and shoot me! I did sell it, and to my dismay, few cars could come close to the refinement, ride quality and overall durability of this fine automobile. I bought it used with 32,000 miles on the clock, it was a one owner car. I kept it for 4 years as a second car ( I also have a company car), and traded it when I thought I needed a larger (silly me). It would avage 29 mpg, in mixed drive from a 290hp 4 litre V8, simply amazing! The sound deadening is superb. If you ever have the opportunity to own one, do it, but hold on to it, they last forever.

Unbelievable!
By Allen on 11/24/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Lexus LS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

It is unbelievable that Lexus can put up so many contradictory characteristics into the same car: Luxury to the extreme yet economical with high reliability and best in class MPG. With "Pulse and Glide" technique, I get 37 MPG on freeway. Using cruise control, I get 30 MPG; Top performance yet quiet and smooth as silk. Acceleration start at 30+ is breath taking. I challenge any sports car on the road. Feel like "Speak softly and carry a big stick" I call it the world class economical luxury sports cruiser.

Rusting and peeling paint
By Lexus owner on 07/24/10 11:53 AM (PDT)

1998 Lexus LS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

2 inch rust bubble at the driver's side roof meets the windshield. The paint is peeling at two places on top of the rear bumper. I have to check if these items are covered by warranty but I doubt it. I never expected these items to happen to a Lexus. I live in California. The air conditioner is also weak even though it has been recharged and checked. I had to cut the factory floor mat as it was too close to the accelerator even with the tabs. The floor mat would depress the accelerator. The engine gunned once and I saw the floor mat against the accelerator. I sent in a complaint but got nowhere. Check your mat. Bad gas pedal design as the mat cannot slide under the pedal.

dream car...
By james medlin on 04/28/10 10:20 AM (PDT)

1998 Lexus LS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

i bought this car in 2003 with 70,ooo miles on it...I now have 224,000 and have had 0 problems!!I keep thinking i want to trade it in but then i always end up asking why..great ride,great realiability and unreal gas mileage from an 8 cylinder...I get 26 plus on long trips...you cant go wrong with this car..!!

Perfection
By LoveLex on 08/07/09 08:48 AM (PDT)

1998 Lexus LS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 2008 with 100k miles on it. I traded a 2003 Saab 9-3 and at first was concerned with "stepping back." Not anymore, this car offers comfort, power and convenience that even the newest Saab's can't touch. Have driven the car from NC to Key West Florida twice with no problems. Recently had to have the drivers side door lock actuator replaced, but that is minor for an 11 year old car and the warranty that I purchased for the car covered that. My Saab spent more time in the shop than in my garage. I have spent a lot more time with Lexie. You will never regret owning this car even though it is 11 years old. Lexus Rocks!

1998 Lexus LS400
By ChrstFltch on 05/27/08 17:50 PM (PDT)

1998 Lexus LS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

This is an excellent car. I purchased it used in 2003, and this was an excellent decision on my part. I will be purchasing a CLK 500 Mercedes next month (June 2008), I wanted something a little smaller. However, I refuse to get rid of this car, they could never give me enough to trade in my vehicle. The car still looks good inside and out (10 years old). I get so many stares. I guess I will need a bigger garage. This car rides smooth, and is extremely reliable. Since it is 10 years old, of course it requires routine maintenance,not too expensive. This is a fine machine, exceeds expectations!