Used 1998 Lexus LS 400 Base Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Lexus LS 400 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.0L V8 5-speed Automatic - (40 reviews )

Dont buy this car.
By turbochris15u

1998 Lexus LS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

Do not buy this car if you're not prepared to be awed into wondering why you considered buying anything else. I purchased my 98 model from a local dealership owned by a friend for just under 6k with 262k miles on it from the original owner. The same day of the purchase I changed the oil and front brake pads and rotors as a precaution then proceeded to drive the car 2000+ miles down the west coast. I maintained no less than 28.6mpg average at 80+mph in supreme comfort. The car has lots of power and the 5 speed auto keeps the car in its sweet spot when maximum performance is required. I love every aspect of this car.

The presidential and commanding presence the car maintains after all these years, my vehicle is in exceptionally good shape and still gets looks. The interior is incredibly comfortable, the engine makes lots of power and has surprised many "sports" cars from red light to red light. The reliability is second to none, the biggest job Ive had to do on my 260k+ vehicle is change out the original 98 starter with another OEM starter. Other than that its oil changes and brake pads.

Be sure that the starter has been serviced, also on previous LS models the fan pulley would start to wear out on high mileage examples which requires quite an operation to replace. Other than that, keep oil in it and enjoy.

Great Luxury Car
By svimburg1

1998 Lexus LS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

Smooth, quiet and powerful. Drive 400 miles on a tank of gas in serene comfort. My three young children prefer taking the LS 400 where they must sit side by side in the back versus taking our van where two of them can ride in captains seats while the third has the back row to himself. The car amazingly seems to promote family harmony. I bought my car in January 2014 with 133K on the odometer and it has run flawlessly for 8,000 miles over the past seven months. The original owner took excellent care of this car after he paid 60 grand for it. Although it cost much less as a used car, I am still maintaining it and treating it like new. Love this car!!

Quiet. Powerful. Comfortable. Reliable. Giant sunroof makes it feel like a convertible. The stereo delivers crisp sound even at high volume and the six disc cd player in the second glove box is easy to use. You actually feel like you are gliding along on a magic carpet the ride is so smooth. The vehicle is understated. No one is looking with envy at my big V8 powered Camry with rear wheel drive. Perfect ventilation system that gently increases in volume instead of blasting you with air. Satisfying growl of the V8 when you turn the key. The headlights appear to roll open on start up and flawlessly bathe the road ahead of you with light.

The LS 400 has buttons to adjuster the temperature and tune the radio. I prefer dials.

sweet chariot
By nseversole95

1998 Lexus LS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I baught this car new in January of 1998. I paid $62500 for it and it has been worth every penny. I love it. it rides like a cloud and it will out run any Camaro or mustang on the road. I would recommend this car to anyone . repairs are a bit pricey but it is a luxery car. this car has probably the best sound system I have ever heard. 16 years later it now has 170,000 miles on it and it run and drives like brand new.

Perfection
By map64

1998 Lexus LS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

Bought a 1998LS 400 with 140K miles on it 4 months ago. I am amazed by the performance and reliability of a 15 year old car by the way it puts many of the new cars on the road to shame, particularly luxury sedans of the same age. The best compliment for this car happened when my 15 years said she wants one too because the ride is so smooth, quiet and fast (when needed)!!

Everything...ride, quietness, fuel economy, stereo, HVAC and interior comfort

More leg room for driver and front passengers

Great Luxury Flagship
By 90lsguy

1998 Lexus LS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

After my 250k miles 1990 LS400 got trashed in a hail storm, I had to find a suitable replacement. After extensive research the 1998-2000 LS400 models fit the bill-40 more hp(290), 5 speed transmission, VSC and V8vvti engine. I bought online a one-owner, dealer-serviced, full records 1998 in mint condition that sold new for $59k. My test drive was the 1400 mile effortless drive back to Denver. Got 30mpg hwy doing 80mph with A/C on. The car absolutely looks and performs as new. The service history consists only of factory-recommended maintenance; nothing ever broke. A full dealer inspection after my trip revealed no issues. Spectacular vehicle for one-tenth cost new.

Quiet ride, sound system, breath-taking acceleration (0-60 in 6.2), high mpg (21/30), high quality of paint and interior, cavernous glove box, in-dash CD changer, integrated key/remote, low maintenance cost, size of moonroof, dateless style, visibility

Bigger rear view mirrors, trunk pass-through, aviation-style reading lights, slicker-looking trip computer, louder turn-signal blinker, owner-replaceable headlamp bulbs, more accurate climate control (my Highlander is better), more effective fog lights