Used 1997 Lexus LS 400 Base Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific LS 400 model:

Waste of money
By buckmarley

1997 Lexus LS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

Brought mine and one week later needed o2 sensors.then one month later brakes all the way around.two days later the trams went out.today I realized I needed motor mounts and I have developed a oil leak.i have spent 3000 and only had it 3 months and driven it maybe 30 times

Car is comfortable.space.power.classic

Gas mileage

All I have to say is WOW!!!!!
By deezeer55

1997 Lexus LS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

This car is absolutely amazing. I have owned it since 2003 and the most major problem we ever had was replacing the fuel pump ($350). We got it with 25k miles and now it has 125k. We also have a 2010 TL and I still love driving my classic around. The LS is sooo smooth and so comfortable that I havent drove many like it. She still runs like a beast and I hope she runs for years to come. Really a great and reliable car. Thanks Lexus!!!

Comfort comfort comfort!!!!

None the car is great for the year it was built. Still a monster

Well Built Car, Never broken down, Reliable.
By happy59

1997 Lexus LS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

Purchased car in January of 2011 for $3800. It is very reliable. If you don't want to worry about being stranded or expensive repairs, this car is for you. You must be ready to pay for premium fuel but other than that it is a great car. Better to buy used than new and better to buy used from a rich person than from a poor person. Good luck.

Cabin noise is minimal.

own one of the best cars in the world
By ondro1977

1997 Lexus LS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I purchased My 1997 Lexus LS400 with 150 000miles for 4000,-$ in February 2011. But I can assure you, that this car is more reliable than any German car of those years or newer. Sure '97 BMW 740,is more powerful and is a bit more fun to drive and MB-S430 is more luxurious and even a bit more spacious, but in overall performance/reliability/luxury.... this car outperform any of them by a long shot. Previous owners did not took care of it properly and didn't use premium fuel and use some shady trans fluid, but car is still awesome. Do yourself a favor and change transmission filter ,gasket and toyota t-IV ATF. keep your regular oil change and always use premium fuel.

Power ECT-switch between more economy(lower rpm) and power (higher rpm) transmission shift. Powerful reliable engine and transmission. Durable paint. Classic look. Comfortable suspension.

Newer models got better cup holders , more powerful, yet fuel efficient engines. in 1998 5spd tranny and vvt-i 290Hp engine, wood inlay steering wheel and xenon lights, 2001 and third gen got new body 4,3l engine and Mark- Levinson stereo.. there is nothing to improve.. 4th gen in 2006 new body... 4,6 l motor and too much to list improvements that includes first commercial 8spd transmission. Lexus cotinuously improves their cars beyond belief...

Just passed 250K Miles
By James

1997 Lexus LS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

Well i just passed the 250K miles goal. I looked at my comments from 2007, so I am driving about 50K miles every 3 years. The car is holding up well. My air suspension failed on the front and rear in the last 18 months but those are the only real problems. It cost about $1100 each to fix but seeing that I have owned the car 13 years, that is minor, considering I have had other no major repairs. My next goal is 300K. I will write back again

the car is holding up like a champ. I make sure I have oil changes every 2500 miles and I change out all the fluids every 12 months

Lexus needs to throw in perks for owners who reach certain mileage goals