1997 Lexus LS 400 4.0L V8 4-speed Automatic Consumer Reviews

1997 Lexus Ls-400 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific LS 400 model:

1997 LS 400 Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Rating
Tuxedo Look, Limo Ride, Bulletproof Engine!
By telluride1

1997 Lexus LS 400 Coach 4dr Sedan

I bought a 1997 Black Onyx with Black Leather, the Coach Edition with 120K that was driven about 7,000 miles a year. The Coach leather feels like a brand new leather couch and the paint has a mirror shine. It drives far better than any 2014 car we recently test drove. I plan to keep it showroom quality and drive it until it reaches 300K. While the premium gas isn't fun to buy, it's worth giving this limo quality Lexus the best fuel that money can buy since it will return to you a smooth ride and miles of enjoyment. My only regret is not buying one sooner. I was a Toyota fan but now I'm hooked on Lexus and while I'm young to be driving an LS400 it's a ride everyone is missing!

very happy lady
By lexusgirl01

1997 Lexus LS 400 Coach 4dr Sedan

ok this is something very diffrent than i have ever have. I love how my car rides I just bought it a day ago I have been reading the reviews and been very pleased with what I have read. Anything i need to know please feel free to share with me, enjoy reading your commets.

closing in on 200k
By mike

1997 Lexus LS 400 Coach 4dr Sedan

this car looks as good is it does from the day I bought it back in 2002. I must admit I don't wash it every day but I do garage it. This car runs great and is a dream to drive. One knock I have on the car is it is not a car you drive in the winter, even with the snows on. But I will put up with that because there are so many positives to this car. I have a brand new American made car and the Lexus is so more of a car than the new ones. I will be driving this car until the wheels fall off

Favorite Features

Radio, this car has great sound

Suggested Improvements

none

A Legend...
By LS 400

1997 Lexus LS 400 Coach 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car from my brother 3 years ago. It's got 200k miles and every time I put it on the highway, it has already paid for itself. I got 500miles from a full tank! This car is classic. I only hate I didn't get a 99 with the xenon headlights. Still is so quiet and smooth you think it's not even running. Someone is constantly trying to buy it from me. I can't wait to try the LS430 or LS460l

Great road car
By Jack

1997 Lexus LS 400 Coach 4dr Sedan

Bought this '97 on eBay for less than $8500 -- only had 81,000 miles at time of purchase. I've made two road trips of 1,000+ miles round trip and it is the most pleasant vehicle I've ever driven. Smooth ride, comfortable seats (seats same leather as Coach purses). Didn't realize it required premium fuel until after purchasing it, but it gets 25+ on the road. I plan to drive it at least 9 or 10 years.

Favorite Features

Multi-adjustable seats, classic lines.

Suggested Improvements

Larger cup holders.

TOP WORK/FAMILY CAR VALUE
By Phil57

1997 Lexus LS 400 Coach 4dr Sedan

For reliability, performance, comfort, impressing clients and safe transportation for children (son & buddies are now 7) my 97 LS 400 is unsurpassed in value and stress-free driving despite the premium you pay for driving and servicing the best car on the road. I purchased it used for $35K with 45,000 miles, qualified for a new car 5 year loan with my insurance company, now has 97,000 miles, would not hesitate to buy a used 97 model. Expect typical parts turnover as car ages, my experience so far is 1) new starter $1,600; 2) replacement valve for power steering $1,000. Lexus service is excellent, expensive, you get another Lexus for loaner, worth every penny!

Favorite Features

Comfort, reliability, predictable driving, easy to operate.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger trunk, better mileage, both addressed in 2001 model

Nicest 8-yr old car you can buy
By NC girl

1997 Lexus LS 400 Coach 4dr Sedan

Bought this car for the wife to drive for errands/soccer carpools (Her other car is a Jaguar XJS convertible). LS rides quietly & smoothly, absorbing every bump and curve. The quality stands out in this car, surpassing other models of vehicles several years newer. Paint is perfect, leather comfy, stereo crisp. It is apparent this car will go another 10 years if maintained. Consider this car over a 2-3 yr old Camry/Accord for the $ any day.

Favorite Features

Comfort and quiet ride. HUGH back seat for high school aged children/adults. This car is a pleasure to take to dinner on a double- date.

Suggested Improvements

Newer models addressed improvements like auto close sunroof and windows, and steering wheel audio controls. Also wish cruise control had indicator light when activated, not just on.

LS400
By Anetha

1997 Lexus LS 400 Coach 4dr Sedan

I have owned several fancy cars and this is the second Lexus I have owned and I have loved both of them. The first was a GS300 and it was wonderful. A little smaller then the LS 400 but still a great car to drive. I will continue to drive them. Couldn't ask for a more great looking and driving car.

Favorite Features

I like everything about them.

Suggested Improvements

A little better stero system

My First Lexus, I Had No Idea
By rickster81

1997 Lexus LS 400 Coach 4dr Sedan

I wasn't really looking at the LS400 when searching for another used car after a major car accident where my 97 Camry was crushed. But after one test drive, I knew the LS400 was it. Being only 29 years old, my wife still chides me that I'm driving an 'old man' car. But the fact of the matter is, the LS400 is a feature rich luxury machine that was affordable for me and at the same time offered some prestige with a long list of standard features. I hope to drive this car up to 250K miles and then i'll be another Lexus... why pay for a Benz when you get all that luxury and comfort in a Lexus for half the price?

Favorite Features

The Coach leather is exceptional, the wood grain is also quite nice. My favorite aspect of this car is the total ISOLATION from the road.

Suggested Improvements

The stereo on *any* car these days should be able to play MP3s, but since my Lexus is a 1997 I can't fault it. A compass would be nice. The trunk is smaller than my old 97 Camry which was a surprise but it's still adequate. Overall, these are minor things-- it's an excellent car.

Best car I have ever owned
By k.cruikshank

1997 Lexus LS 400 Coach 4dr Sedan

Best car I have ever owned! I have owned a Lincoln, Mercedes, Cadillac and they do not compare to the Lexus.

Favorite Features

The ride is so quiet, everything about the car is perfect

Suggested Improvements

None...