1997 Lexus LS 400 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific LS 400 model:
Waste of money
By buckmarley on 10/16/14 18:46 PM (PDT)

1997 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

Brought mine and one week later needed o2 sensors.then one month later brakes all the way around.two days later the trams went out.today I realized I needed motor mounts and I have developed a oil leak.i have spent 3000 and only had it 3 months and driven it maybe 30 times

All I have to say is WOW!!!!!
By deezeer55 on 12/17/12 22:34 PM (PST)

1997 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

This car is absolutely amazing. I have owned it since 2003 and the most major problem we ever had was replacing the fuel pump ($350). We got it with 25k miles and now it has 125k. We also have a 2010 TL and I still love driving my classic around. The LS is sooo smooth and so comfortable that I havent drove many like it. She still runs like a beast and I hope she runs for years to come. Really a great and reliable car. Thanks Lexus!!!

Well Built Car, Never broken down, Reliable.
By happy59 on 06/07/12 13:57 PM (PDT)

1997 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

Purchased car in January of 2011 for $3800. It is very reliable. If you don't want to worry about being stranded or expensive repairs, this car is for you. You must be ready to pay for premium fuel but other than that it is a great car. Better to buy used than new and better to buy used from a rich person than from a poor person. Good luck.

own one of the best cars in the world
By ondro1977 on 05/18/11 10:26 AM (PDT)

1997 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

I purchased My 1997 Lexus LS400 with 150 000miles for 4000,-$ in February 2011. But I can assure you, that this car is more reliable than any German car of those years or newer. Sure '97 BMW 740,is more powerful and is a bit more fun to drive and MB-S430 is more luxurious and even a bit more spacious, but in overall performance/reliability/luxury.... this car outperform any of them by a long shot. Previous owners did not took care of it properly and didn't use premium fuel and use some shady trans fluid, but car is still awesome. Do yourself a favor and change transmission filter ,gasket and toyota t-IV ATF. keep your regular oil change and always use premium fuel.

Just passed 250K Miles
By James on 03/17/10 20:16 PM (PDT)

1997 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

Well i just passed the 250K miles goal. I looked at my comments from 2007, so I am driving about 50K miles every 3 years. The car is holding up well. My air suspension failed on the front and rear in the last 18 months but those are the only real problems. It cost about $1100 each to fix but seeing that I have owned the car 13 years, that is minor, considering I have had other no major repairs. My next goal is 300K. I will write back again

12 years old Original Owner
By CharlotteRealtor.com on 12/31/08 07:53 AM (PST)

1997 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

My car is a true champ. I have not had any problems with it and the dealer at the last service said that it was in great shape and will last another several years. My goal is to keep it until I reach at least 300,000 miles

Excellent Value - Great Car
By JayNRocky on 09/22/08 13:47 PM (PDT)

1997 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

I've had my LS 400 for 11 years and it runs like the day I bought it. I have 172,000 miles and it still runs strong. When my Mercedes was totalled in 2006, I was back to driving my old LS 400 full time. I was planning to sell it and buy another car, but I was so impressed how it still drives, that I just decided to clean it up and keep it. Don't be cheap about maintenance. I do all service at the dealer, and have no problems. It passes smog tests with flying colors and the gas mileage is not bad for a car this size. I plan to keep this car for as long as i can!

Best Vehicle Yet
By Manuel McKenzie on 04/03/08 11:02 AM (PDT)

1997 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

I was originaly looking to purchase a Q45T Infinity when I bought this car mainly for the additional horse power and rear spoiler. However when the availability of this vehicle was brought to my attention I didn't hesitate. I was well aware of its reputation and high ratings. It has lived up to all my expectations and beyond. It has been a pleasure both to drive and own. It has been cheap to repair though, but the cost comes with driving a 10 year old Lexus.

Just Passed 200,000 miles
By James on 04/26/07 08:35 AM (PDT)

1997 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

My car is still running like a true champ. Most people are amazed that I have 200,000+ miles and my car still looks great and performs awesomely. I don't think I will have any problems reaching 250,000 miles; my goal is 300,000. Lexus needs to reward long time car owners who have reached major milestones 200K, 250K and 300K+ miles.

The best car I've ever had
By Dennis on 06/09/06 18:23 PM (PDT)

1997 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

This must be the most well-built reliable car ever made. I've had this car for almost ten years and it drives almost as snappy as the first day I owned it. Solid it is!