1997 Lexus LS 400 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific LS 400 model:
Tuxedo Look, Limo Ride, Bulletproof Engine!
By telluride1 on 08/06/14 15:04 PM (PDT)

1997 Lexus LS 400 Coach 4dr Sedan

I bought a 1997 Black Onyx with Black Leather, the Coach Edition with 120K that was driven about 7,000 miles a year. The Coach leather feels like a brand new leather couch and the paint has a mirror shine. It drives far better than any 2014 car we recently test drove. I plan to keep it showroom quality and drive it until it reaches 300K. While the premium gas isn't fun to buy, it's worth giving this limo quality Lexus the best fuel that money can buy since it will return to you a smooth ride and miles of enjoyment. My only regret is not buying one sooner. I was a Toyota fan but now I'm hooked on Lexus and while I'm young to be driving an LS400 it's a ride everyone is missing!

All I have to say is WOW!!!!!
By deezeer55 on 12/17/12 22:34 PM (PST)

1997 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

This car is absolutely amazing. I have owned it since 2003 and the most major problem we ever had was replacing the fuel pump ($350). We got it with 25k miles and now it has 125k. We also have a 2010 TL and I still love driving my classic around. The LS is sooo smooth and so comfortable that I havent drove many like it. She still runs like a beast and I hope she runs for years to come. Really a great and reliable car. Thanks Lexus!!!

Well Built Car, Never broken down, Reliable.
By happy59 on 06/07/12 13:57 PM (PDT)

1997 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

Purchased car in January of 2011 for $3800. It is very reliable. If you don't want to worry about being stranded or expensive repairs, this car is for you. You must be ready to pay for premium fuel but other than that it is a great car. Better to buy used than new and better to buy used from a rich person than from a poor person. Good luck.

very happy lady
By lexusgirl01 on 07/09/11 18:29 PM (PDT)

1997 Lexus LS 400 Coach 4dr Sedan

ok this is something very diffrent than i have ever have. I love how my car rides I just bought it a day ago I have been reading the reviews and been very pleased with what I have read. Anything i need to know please feel free to share with me, enjoy reading your commets.

own one of the best cars in the world
By ondro1977 on 05/18/11 10:26 AM (PDT)

1997 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

I purchased My 1997 Lexus LS400 with 150 000miles for 4000,-$ in February 2011. But I can assure you, that this car is more reliable than any German car of those years or newer. Sure '97 BMW 740,is more powerful and is a bit more fun to drive and MB-S430 is more luxurious and even a bit more spacious, but in overall performance/reliability/luxury.... this car outperform any of them by a long shot. Previous owners did not took care of it properly and didn't use premium fuel and use some shady trans fluid, but car is still awesome. Do yourself a favor and change transmission filter ,gasket and toyota t-IV ATF. keep your regular oil change and always use premium fuel.

Just passed 250K Miles
By James on 03/17/10 20:16 PM (PDT)

1997 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

Well i just passed the 250K miles goal. I looked at my comments from 2007, so I am driving about 50K miles every 3 years. The car is holding up well. My air suspension failed on the front and rear in the last 18 months but those are the only real problems. It cost about $1100 each to fix but seeing that I have owned the car 13 years, that is minor, considering I have had other no major repairs. My next goal is 300K. I will write back again

closing in on 200k
By mike on 03/16/10 12:18 PM (PDT)

1997 Lexus LS 400 Coach 4dr Sedan

this car looks as good is it does from the day I bought it back in 2002. I must admit I don't wash it every day but I do garage it. This car runs great and is a dream to drive. One knock I have on the car is it is not a car you drive in the winter, even with the snows on. But I will put up with that because there are so many positives to this car. I have a brand new American made car and the Lexus is so more of a car than the new ones. I will be driving this car until the wheels fall off

A Legend...
By LS 400 on 04/30/09 09:49 AM (PDT)

1997 Lexus LS 400 Coach 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car from my brother 3 years ago. It's got 200k miles and every time I put it on the highway, it has already paid for itself. I got 500miles from a full tank! This car is classic. I only hate I didn't get a 99 with the xenon headlights. Still is so quiet and smooth you think it's not even running. Someone is constantly trying to buy it from me. I can't wait to try the LS430 or LS460l

12 years old Original Owner
By CharlotteRealtor.com on 12/31/08 07:53 AM (PST)

1997 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

My car is a true champ. I have not had any problems with it and the dealer at the last service said that it was in great shape and will last another several years. My goal is to keep it until I reach at least 300,000 miles

Excellent Value - Great Car
By JayNRocky on 09/22/08 13:47 PM (PDT)

1997 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

I've had my LS 400 for 11 years and it runs like the day I bought it. I have 172,000 miles and it still runs strong. When my Mercedes was totalled in 2006, I was back to driving my old LS 400 full time. I was planning to sell it and buy another car, but I was so impressed how it still drives, that I just decided to clean it up and keep it. Don't be cheap about maintenance. I do all service at the dealer, and have no problems. It passes smog tests with flying colors and the gas mileage is not bad for a car this size. I plan to keep this car for as long as i can!