1996 Lexus LS 400 - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.0L V8 4-speed Automatic - (0 review )
cup holder still too small !!
By dgeert on 08/30/12 18:57 PM (PDT)

1996 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

218k now and going strong now im doing the timing belt and water pump by choice because of a small water leak.. all the problems ive had w this car are very typical to any high mileage car such as alternator p steering pump,semi clogged radiator timing belt cost about 900.00 from small shop,so expect twice from a dealer, its a major job... even though i read this motor doesnt self destruct if it breaks. this car is /was one of the most reliable ever with all the comforts of a luxury car. still quiet at all speeds . THIS JUST IN... ive been researching smaller cars for the mpg's and this car beats most of them at 20 to 27 highway

What a car!!
By tigerbone on 07/20/11 05:09 AM (PDT)

1996 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

I have a 96 ls400 with 160,000 miles on it. This car is amazing. I just took it from ohio to cali, and this era of Lexus quality and build is unmatched. I have a friend that has a 05 bmw 3 series, and he had to put a new trans. in his car, he is now wanting a Lexus ls:)

Bullet Proof!
By shejean7 on 08/20/10 06:37 AM (PDT)

1996 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

I bought this car over a year and 1/2 ago with around 130K on it. I test drove different cars at the time, but when I drove the LS400 I was in love. I can't believe how silky smooth it glides down the road. I use Regular gas in it, due to high gas prices, and it has not missed a beat. Sometimes I'll use premium fuel, but it does fine with regular, so why pay more? As far as expenses, it's been the cheapest car to own because nothing ever goes wrong with it. I've only done a front end alignment ($60), a new batter recently ($100), and regular oil changes with tire rotations. The tires do not seem to wear down either. Purchased for less than $6,000! Now in the market for an RX330!

Very well made old classic car
By david on 05/04/10 18:09 PM (PDT)

1996 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

Damn cup holders, too small for my giant big gulp! That is my only complaint on a 14 year old car with 173k miles. Drives like new, well done Toyota/Lexus.

My dream car
By curt on 12/25/09 20:57 PM (PST)

1996 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

I purchased a '96 LS 400 a few months ago. I have always wanted one but could not justify a new one at 50K+. I drive a diesel truck and wanted a luxury second car. This car is amazing on the highway. It floats but still handles well. It is a joy to drive and has 144K. I have had it on several 16 hour trips and it felt solid at 90+mph. Almost 15 years old and it feels new. Keep in mind that maintenance is expensive and it needs premium fuel. I plan to keep this 5 years and upgrade to an '05 LS 430 w/ 5 speed and black leather. Every time I drive it I can't believe it is 14 years old. I have driven several newer cars around 30K and this '96 is way more comfortable. Paid under $7K. Love it!!

1st Lexus and Loved it... will buy again
By Jason on 07/18/09 23:53 PM (PDT)

1996 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

I bought a 96 LS400 white/tan at 156k miles and I did have to put about $4000 into it for new a/c, timing belt, water pump, front end, all fluids & filters, complete tune up. No paper work was purchased with the car, so I took a gamble. After the expenses, I put a set of LS430 wheels on it and WOW much better looking. It's been the best car ever. We drove it more than my wife's 04 ES330, but sadly it was totaled out and we are now looking for a 98-00 LS400. Love these cars!

Great vehicle, the LS!!
By LS is the BEST!! on 12/07/08 05:55 AM (PST)

1996 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

I've only have this vehicle for about 4 months, but I'm just amazed every time I ride in it. I did the 90,000 tuneup at 126,000 (cost about $1200), but the car rides like a champ. Just had to change the tires, as far as parts, now the car literally floats on the highway. You don't even notice when you're doing 90 mph. Everyone who drives in it fall asleep cause of the comfort. Shoot, sometimes I have to watch myself when it's late cause I tend to wanna sleep as well. lol..BEST CAR I'VE EVER OWNED IN MY LIFE!!! Would recommend to anyone.

1996 Lexus LS 400
By legendof lexus on 11/16/08 08:21 AM (PST)

1996 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

In late 90s til present I have had ES 300, 3 LS400, GS 300 and Avalon. In between those I had Caddys, Volvos, Audi and Acuras. Bottom line Lexus is it! I had to fix something on every car I owned except when I had a Lexus, just start and go! I don't like being in a car for more than 7-9 months, but this time I'm sticking to the 96 LS 400 till I can get the LS 430!

'96 LS400
By oldblue on 10/03/08 07:21 AM (PDT)

1996 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

This is my second Lexus I am really pleased. The ride, the power and the overall design is outstanding. If you want luxury and power I recommend a Lexus, you will not disappointed. I have 120,000 and I believe it will go 300,000 without a problem if you follow the dealer maintenance schedule.

Good Old Reliable Car
By Steve on 01/24/08 22:15 PM (PST)

1996 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

This LS 400 was available with only 52,000 miles on it. So I bought it and updated to Pioneer Avic-3 with navigation, Bluetooth, backup camera, DVD and put in a new timing belt, water pump and new tires and this car is alive again and start like new. It's already over 11 years old, but still like new since the previous owner only drove 4500 miles per year and kept it garaged.