Used 1995 Lexus LS 400 Base Sedan Consumer Reviews - 28 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Lexus LS 400 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

1995 Lexus LS 400 Sedan

Base 4.0L V8 4-speed Automatic - (28 reviews )

Sensational Value for a Used Car
By cason234

1995 Lexus LS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I've long admired the LS400's from Lexus..... "someday, I'm going to get me one of those...", I always said. They have such a good reputation. Also, a family we know and respect apparently has a whole fleet of LS400's because of their excellent reliability. 6 months ago, my brother bought a 1997 LS400 with 240,000 miles in sensational condition for $2000 (this is in the Pacific Northwest)..... I was blown away by the condition and the magnificent ride of this almost 20 year old car. About a month later, my brother emailed me a link to a 1995 LS400 with 135,000 miles, and the obligatory NAKAMICHI sound system! I bought it for $3700 and am very impressed by the value I got for my money. The paint and interior are superb - I feel like a king when I pull up in my Lexus. I replaced the tires and changed all fluids immediately (just regular maintenance). I replaced one sensor on the air suspension (it was leaning on one corner), and that's it! It runs like a dream. There was a complete service history with the car, including timing belt replacement at 80,000 miles. Coming from a series of performance cars (Mustang GT, etc), the performance could be described as "understated" or "elegant", but not passion inspiring. But that's OK.... that's not what I was expecting. The buttery smooth and whisper quiet ride hearken back to a different era..... of gentlemanly motoring. This experience is not about epic handling or punchy acceleration (although the car does alright). This car is a pleasure to own. I particularly like the Nakamichi sound system. Even on a 21 year old stereo, you can hear musical detail you've never heard before. I'll be making my own "AUX" input jack on the dash shortly (lots of tutorials for this on YOUTUBE) so I can plug my iPhone in, but you can achieve much of the same thing with a cassette adapter. I really like the sound when it starts. That buried starter is quite quiet, and sounds very "mechanically precise", if I can call it that. I like the fact that it sits so comfortably.... these are not overstuffed sofa cushions, but firm leather supports you sit on. I expect I'll become bored of the car before it "wears out"..... but I should be able to pass this gem onto another fortunate buyer at some point (perhaps one of my own kids will want it?)...... I highly recommend the LS400 as excellent value in the used car market.

The definition of reliability
By nick k

1995 Lexus LS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I picked up my Lexus LS 400 for 500 dollars, It has 400+ thousand miles but still runs strong. My original plan for the car was to use the drivetrain to swap into my custom 1976 Toyota p.u. I might be switching gears as it seems people really love this car as a complete package. Obviously the reliability of this car speaks foritself. I have read several forums with everybody saying the Toyota 1uzfe motor is more reliable than the classic 20r and 22r /22re, also mentioning you really cant kill this motor. If your looking for a good car that wont leave you stranded and you can count on for years to come, then pick up a Lexus. I dont think you have to worry that they will soon be all gone, the only ones that are no longer in use are the ones that have been totaled in accidents. The cars that have been maintained are still on the road, and will be long after many of the new cars sold now are sitting in wrecking yards being picked of their parts.

Best all around car ever
By Scott medlin

1995 Lexus LS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought a 98 ls400 in 2003. It had 65,000 miles on it. I kept it for 10 years and put another 200,000 miles. I sold my 15 year old car for $3200 with 265,000 miles. I told my mechanic and I couldn't believe his response. He said why did you sell it? It would easily go another 150,000 miles. If not, more. Two months later i found a 95 ls400 with 125,000 miles. I will keep this car forever. So smooth, plenty of power and good mileage. No doubt... Best car ever !!

1995 Lexus LS400
By John

1995 Lexus LS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

Even though it's 20 years old, it's the best car I have ever owned. Looks and rides like it's new. Ours is decked out with all the options and everything works great. The premium stereo sounds awesome. Rides like a cloud. Very solid, no rattles or bangs. With only 140,000 miles I'm looking forward to driving this thing for years, maybe even decades. The only thing I can complain about is the gas millage could b better, but with all the great things about the car more then make up for it.

great car
By happ400

1995 Lexus LS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

bought car from aunt 3 months ago(stole for 1000$)loaded with i think all options,have had several Volvos in the past .their is no way to compair,with a 188 thousands miles,runs and drives like a dream,have nothing bad to say,,,,Brad

phone,doesant work but so cool to have,mem seats,cd player,great sound system,plenty of power,rides on a cloud,alos safety kit under drivers seat,