1995 Lexus LS 400 - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.0L V8 4-speed Automatic - (23 reviews )
Awesome Car/Awesome value
By carfanatic9 on 06/06/12 10:16 AM (PDT)

1995 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

I bought this Lexus LS400 from a small lot. Wasn't in the best shape, but good enough. With a some TLC, i got her running like a top. A few small problems, one the a/c doesn't blow very hard, the trunk is smaller than what one would expect, the 6 disc changer. Other than that, there are no real problems to speak of. The 4.0L DOHC engine is a dream! Even at 240,000+ mi. Once you get on the highway, sustained triple digit speed is not a problem. Passing, also not a problem. Independent rear makes mountain passes a dream. All it takes is regular maintenance. I recommend Synthetic oil, for oil changes. Great car would def recommend. Would get another, but why? This ones gonna last forever!

Best used car value
By Clyde Bailey on 05/21/10 18:10 PM (PDT)

1995 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

This has been an amazing car. It has not given me the first problem, I have been a Lexus driver ever since. My daughter is still driving it today!

300,000 Miles!
By Jake on 02/10/10 12:49 PM (PST)

1995 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 336,000 miles only because every mechanic I took it to said I couldn't go wrong buying this car. The deal I got was amazing and this car feels brand new even with all these miles. Only regular maintenance done on the car, engine and tranny are original but run like new. Definitely recommend this car to anyone.

Great Luxury Car
By moshemm on 08/04/09 15:19 PM (PDT)

1995 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

I bought a well cared 95 LS400 with 100K km on it from a family member for my wife. Fantastic car, outstanding build quality (try the same age Benz or BMW, I did), rather boring drive, maybe because it was driven very leisurely before and it may have an adaptive transmission that remembers driving habits. No other car in that age will last. Very expensive dealer service.

Peace of Mind
By cojrpoet on 07/26/09 05:31 AM (PDT)

1995 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

In the 13 years I have had this car, I have spent only 2000 on repairs and that too in its 13th year. The car needs minimal maintenance and after 13 years of hard driving in heat and snow, it still feels like a new car.

You only live once!!!
By Karl on 06/27/09 13:43 PM (PDT)

1995 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

My brother in law had a new one and I drove it a couple of times and thought if I ever have the opportunity to own a luxury car, this will be it. Finally 10yrs later, we needed a car and had the cash. Mine has the factory sticker in the glove for $54k. I paid $10k from a private owner. After a 100 mile drive your body feels like you drove 5 miles. Driving 90mph in driving rain and feeling totally in control is what this car is all about. Mine has built in k40 radar detector and I feel like a new man every time I'm behind the wheel. My wife and I call her Christine (Possessed car movie). If you research the engine like I did, you're sold. Hands down, the finest luxury car engine (1UZFE) ever made.

Lexus LS400
By Klimek on 02/25/09 06:09 AM (PST)

1995 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

It all started in 83 when Toyota chief decided to compete with the best luxury cars like Mercedes and BMW, first LS400 came to market in 1990. The rest is history. I have owned several LSes in the past few years. Currently I have two LS 400s, one has 102k miles another one 229k miles(!) There is almost no difference between those to cars. Both run perfect without any problems. My mechanic (Lexus technician) told me, that those cars are: "bullet proof". We have 4 LS400 in my family all of them high mileage. two have over 200k miles and those are much more reliable than most new cars we had. Don't be afraid of high mileage LSes any year. Those cars were over engineered.

13 year old LS
By VILSON DUSHAJ on 12/05/07 21:03 PM (PST)

1995 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

Ijust got this car and I think it's best buy for the money. It drives like a new LS 460, it's amazing. What quality and comfort!

Bad luck with this VIN# and Bulletins
By Sherwood on 03/12/07 17:31 PM (PDT)

1995 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

I bought this 1995 LS 400 because of its high reliability ratings. The first owner (I was 2nd) had it serviced regularly at a Lexus dealer. The problem is my particular VIN# was in a range of cars manufactured using defective engineering designs. One problem was a vibration at about 35 mph. I had it fixed according to the bulletin for about $2500. They had to replace the axles (evidently manufactured out-of-round) and add a supporting brace! The other problem is a shift-shock which entails replacing the computer for $3500! I asked Lexus to help defray the cost for these but they said the car was too far out of warranty (even though these are most likely manufacturing defects).

Best Reliable Luxury Car
By HP on 09/28/06 09:36 AM (PDT)

1995 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

I bought a used Lexus LS 400 with 94000 miles from an auction 3 years ago thru a dealer friend for 11K. The car is now at 152000 miles and only work I have done on it is routine... brakes, timing belt/water pump, spark plugs, wires. This is the best ride you can ask for the money as it still rides and feels as if it is a brand new car. Every person who has driven my car has accepted the fact that this is a very smooth ride.