Used 1992 Lexus LS 400 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Lexus LS 400 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.0L V8 4-speed Automatic - (20 reviews )

Classy design and dependable car.
By Tadashi Davis

1992 Lexus LS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

After reading the reviews on the Lexus LS400, we found one with 97K miles in good condition. The car run smoother than many new vehicle I have driven! The car if maintained well is very dependable and will last for 300k miles I am sure. I will say this: if you are buying a used one especially the 1992, make sure the timing belt service has been done to it (think it is the 60K or 100K service) it is pretty pricey. I have had it since Feb 10 and it looks brand new. The cars lines are ahead of its time, straight and classy. The interior it nice and comfortable, The factory sound system is very nice. I do suggest tinting the windows cause the leather gets hot during the summer.

My favorite feature is the sooth ride. The car is 18 years old and it drives like it is brand new. The classy straight lines is also one of my favorite features. Many of today's cars no longer have the sleek lines (in my opinion)

For a 1992, there aren't any improvements I would recommend, some of the amenities in this car new luxury models still don't have today.

Sadly, a lemon
By Lance M.

1992 Lexus LS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

Nice car, big $$$ problems (I am 2nd owner). Brakes need fixing every year. Power steering pump replaced 2x. A/C died, and fix required engine removal (big $). Imbalance in the drive shaft caused vibration at hwy speeds - 5 dealerships could not find cause until Heffner Toyota did - fix would have cost thousands and fault was factory caused but dealerships never noticed or fixed for original owner (little old rich lady family friend - honest!). 5 of 7 dealers not very ethical or reliable, with one of the two good ones susceptible of "bad days". Every repair is big $. Nice drive, comfortable yet responsive. Quiet. Handles snow well for RW drive. Stick with regular Toyota in future.

Stereo - Nakamichi dream, dashboard is way cool, body paint and exterior look is snazzy; seats nice, excellent rear view mirror, handles minor front-end crashes well, stainless steel exhaust

Brakes need major improving, interior parts not always well assembled, MUST HAVE better reliability, lower cost parts and repairs, dealers I could trust. Little old lady who owned car 1st bought a later model (yr. 2000) LS and was NOT happy, but switched to SUV model later and was happier.

Good Choice
By JHenry

1992 Lexus LS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

Purchased in 2001 with 87,000 miles for $12,500 in spring of '01. Should have waited a few months - I would have learned that AC did not work. Never bothered to fix the AC, but shelled out around $5,000 over the last 9 years for brakes, front end parts, water pump, timing belt and power steering pump. Engine and tranny have never been a problem. Love the smooth ride and premier sound system. I believe the vehicle would match up very well against a Caddie or Lincoln of the same year. It's going up for sale soon and for $1,000 someone will get a darn good used car.

smooth, powerful, quiet and relatively economical 4.0 liter V8 engine and reliable transmission

too much lateral leg room was sacrificed in front to join the dash with the console

Maybe I just lucked out?
By DrPhil_Fan

1992 Lexus LS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car for next to nothing with 160k miles on it. The exterior has a few minor dings, chips and scrapes, but the paint is still glossy and, while a late model, the design still feels modern. The interior is worn, but clean and comfortable. This car was made in 1992 and other than the power antenna (doesn't extend, I disconnected myself), and the dead LCD display for the climate/clock (a known flaw) all of the accessories function as they should. This is a great thing because this car is absolutely loaded. Way ahead of its time. In the 1.5 years I have owned this car, I've put <$500 of maintenance toward it. Doesn't get great mileage, but hey, V8. HELLO! 20 on the HWY.

Comfort, reliability. This car's drivetrain seems bulletproof.

None.

No Clunker!
By Bill

1992 Lexus LS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

Great car and a real workhorse. Nothing made can compare to the all around utility of the LS. No rattles, great ride, good MPG, and great paint.

Keep making parts. So far I have not needed parts but when I do...I want to use new Lexus parts.