Used 1991 Lexus LS 400 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1991 Lexus LS 400 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.0L V8 4-speed Automatic - (30 reviews )

I love my 91 Lexus Ls 400
By Bmore Lexus Lover

1991 Lexus LS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

The car is built like a tank with 4wheels. Can't wait to buy the Lexus lx 470 when I can afford.

the quite ride, car style

bigger wheels and better fuel economy and power steering

Amazed for a 20yr old car
By 1st time Lexus

1991 Lexus LS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

First time even driving a Lexus. I was hesitant due to the fact that I thought it was going to be an overrated Toyota. Night and day difference, and totally different from a Toyota. Even at 20yrs young, this car looks and drives like new (Yes the previous owner took very good care of her)Don't like the sound system, but can easily be upgraded and brought up to the 21st century. Car rides super smooth, makes you feel the luxury. Only piece I was disappointed in the stereo, but otherwise fabulous car. V8 power is decent. Looking to add performance mods and get a little more. Hope this helps

Holograms in the dash, unique. Comfort, luxury, auto tilt wheel, how quiet the ride is. Really a steal for the money.

AUDIO QUALITY! Must admit, I've never been happy with any stock audio though and have always upgraded my car stereo to competition levels. Does it really need to have premium gas? Performance isn't that great.

Amazing car
By happyowner

1991 Lexus LS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

This is the best car I have ever owned. I bought it off a friend of my father's. It runs like new even at 240K+ miles!! Haven't had any problems with it other than a faulty sensor but that is common for this model and year. I plan to keep it well into the 300K range. Reliable and powerful, never call my car an expensive Toyota. This is a luxury car through and through with power like a sports car!

163K & still running
By Rich T.

1991 Lexus LS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

Garage kept 91 LS400. Paint is flawless with the interior being just as nice. 16 year old vehicles usually find the scrapyard by now but not this one! I have had the A/C compressor go out, and a couple leaks (power steering pump & manifold gasket) of which I've not invested the funds to fix. Dealership quoted me $1900 for the A/C compressor. "I'll do without". Friends have mentioned how comfortable a ride it is, and I'm not one to argue. Gas gauge is funny as the vehicle seems to run as if it were out of gas although the gauge is still showing 1/4 tank?? All in all, this vehicle "hooked me" into becoming a future Lexus owner. It will definitely be hard to drive anything else now.

Dash gauges, "light saber" needles, quiet ride. Nice powerful powerplant of a motor. Feels like I have a car around me.

Fog lights keep burning out. At $27 each, you would think they'd last a while. I've gone through three sets in 6 months and they are only used "maybe" 1 hour per week total? Seems as if the A/C compressor and steering pump are common issues for the first parts to fail. Not cheap to fix.

very happy owner
By very happy user

1991 Lexus LS 400 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I have been totally happy with this car from day one. I've had virtually no major problems in 17 years, just routine maintenance (and inexpensive rear light bulbs going out regularly). It has been incredibly quiet ride from day one, unbelievably so. It seems like it'll last another 5-10 years! I'm passing it on to my teenage child, but only since after 17 years, it's time to move on (the car, not the kid!), e.g. to get a CD player!

incredible quiet ride.