1991 Lexus LS 400 - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.0L V8 4-speed Automatic - (0 review )
I love my 91 Lexus Ls 400
By Bmore Lexus Lover on 07/09/10 17:41 PM (PDT)

1991 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

The car is built like a tank with 4wheels. Can't wait to buy the Lexus lx 470 when I can afford.

Amazed for a 20yr old car
By 1st time Lexus on 04/20/10 11:10 AM (PDT)

1991 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

First time even driving a Lexus. I was hesitant due to the fact that I thought it was going to be an overrated Toyota. Night and day difference, and totally different from a Toyota. Even at 20yrs young, this car looks and drives like new (Yes the previous owner took very good care of her)Don't like the sound system, but can easily be upgraded and brought up to the 21st century. Car rides super smooth, makes you feel the luxury. Only piece I was disappointed in the stereo, but otherwise fabulous car. V8 power is decent. Looking to add performance mods and get a little more. Hope this helps

Amazing car
By happyowner on 06/09/09 07:45 AM (PDT)

1991 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

This is the best car I have ever owned. I bought it off a friend of my father's. It runs like new even at 240K+ miles!! Haven't had any problems with it other than a faulty sensor but that is common for this model and year. I plan to keep it well into the 300K range. Reliable and powerful, never call my car an expensive Toyota. This is a luxury car through and through with power like a sports car!

163K & still running
By Rich T. on 07/07/08 10:22 AM (PDT)

1991 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

Garage kept 91 LS400. Paint is flawless with the interior being just as nice. 16 year old vehicles usually find the scrapyard by now but not this one! I have had the A/C compressor go out, and a couple leaks (power steering pump & manifold gasket) of which I've not invested the funds to fix. Dealership quoted me $1900 for the A/C compressor. "I'll do without". Friends have mentioned how comfortable a ride it is, and I'm not one to argue. Gas gauge is funny as the vehicle seems to run as if it were out of gas although the gauge is still showing 1/4 tank?? All in all, this vehicle "hooked me" into becoming a future Lexus owner. It will definitely be hard to drive anything else now.

very happy owner
By very happy user on 07/03/08 21:15 PM (PDT)

1991 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

I have been totally happy with this car from day one. I've had virtually no major problems in 17 years, just routine maintenance (and inexpensive rear light bulbs going out regularly). It has been incredibly quiet ride from day one, unbelievably so. It seems like it'll last another 5-10 years! I'm passing it on to my teenage child, but only since after 17 years, it's time to move on (the car, not the kid!), e.g. to get a CD player!

My 17 yr old car feels like it's 10 yrs.
By seabow2 on 12/21/07 09:36 AM (PST)

1991 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

I just recently purchased a well-cared for LS 400 that was pampered and garaged its entire life by the same owner. The car came with a stack of receipts which verified all of the maintenance done. I empathize with those who purchased an LS400 needing repairs. I noticed that it can be costly. For example, my rack and pinion/power steering has been replaced twice!! The AC system has also been replaced. Just these three items alone total more than I paid for the car. However, the previous owner did take the car to the dealership so that makes a big difference. Yes, I would definitely buy this car even if I had to make repairs. I would just go a cheaper route. This car is very smooth.

My LS
By naw on 11/15/07 22:45 PM (PST)

1991 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

I bought this car as my first car and for $2,500... it is the best $2,500 I have spent. I should be doing a little bit more maintenece but so far this car has been rock solid to me, even as a young driver. Everything is very smooth and people get in my car and tell me how nice and spacious it is. Price of parts is killing me as I am on a very limited budget but it is definitely worth the money knowing that 214,000 miles is still just the beginning of its' long life. Even my dad loves when we drive in my car even with also having a Benz. I am proud to drive my Lexus because its more reliable than many cars out there.I plan to drive this car for many more years, because it really is that great.

Wish I bought a Lexus sooner
By CAWB1617 on 07/24/06 13:07 PM (PDT)

1991 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

I have to admit after my mother's ES 300 hit 190k I started taking notice how reliable these cars could be with proper maint. I was a Honda/Acura buyer for 5+ years but when I drove my friends LS 400 I knew I had to get one. I found a 91 with 130,000 miles that was almost flawless, interior looks new if you can believe it. Car drives like a dream,very, very, very powerful 250 HP engine but it takes the premium gas. Would buy another in a heartbeat.

380,000 miles and going strong!
By BMV26 on 08/17/05 10:29 AM (PDT)

1991 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

Up to 380,000 miles now. Have had it repainted and have had a leather interior kit installed. Still think it's the best luxury sedan ever made. No problems, no issues. It just starts and runs like new. Normal repairs only: brake pads, tune-ups, etc.

My LS400
By Eromero on 03/21/05 19:50 PM (PST)

1991 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

Had this car for almost 5 years now. It has been the dream car and I had no complaints. I've driven this car all over the country. This car has been reliable. I've put over 100k in 5 years. Parts are outrageous. The last year has been a nightmare. It started wearing down. One thing brakes after another. AC Compressor $1200, Power steering pump & Alternator $800, 2 rear calipers $348, new brakes, rotors $900. Over $3,000 in the last year. needs new struts and shocks. $1200. Don't get me wrong I'm in love with the car. For the year it's a great value. And the quality of materials. Interior looks great, no wear no tear. I know it will give me another 100K if I fix it, But is it worth fixing?