Used 1990 Lexus LS 400 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Lexus Ls-400 - Consumer Reviews

1990 Lexus LS 400

Base 4.0L V8 4-speed Automatic - (26 reviews )

Most Helpful|
Lexus LS400 Original Owner
By JimLexus

1990 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

My 1990 LS400 is an exceptional vehicle. Very reliable, smooth as silk, it still feals good after 13 years. I've done most of the maintenance myself, including brakes and oil. The wiring harness for the trunk lid brake lights failed and I repaired with solder and heat shrink tubing. The brakes were acting weird with the broken wire. Great vehicle!

Favorite Features

Build quality, reliability and luxury ride.

Suggested Improvements

Choose tires to suit your driving style.

LS 400
By Gary

1990 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

Had my LS400 for 1 year now. Odometer said 118,00 but after I bought I did a car fax and it said 212,000. Whatever the case is, it is a beautiful car. No problems, runs great. I invested in rebuilding ac that cost me $1300. Other than that routine oil changes, had no problem with rwd in new york snow it has traction control.

Favorite Features

Sport suspension, engine power, roominess, reliabilty.

Suggested Improvements

19 yr old car - what can I complain about?

My 1st car and I'm in love
By 1988savala

1990 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

When at first I heard my friend was selling his car that was nearly 20 yrs old I almost turned down the offer but now I am glad I haven't. Even after 20 yrs this car runs better then my friends' cars that are 10+yrs younger than it! I was amazed! It's quiet and powerful - I have to always double check my speed because it's easy not to realize how fast you are going. Smooth ride - the suspension is just great. My mechanic was impressed too at how it looks (I took it to get a check up :D ). I'm impressed with the manufacturing of this Lexus and how after 20 yrs it could still run so well. Toyota, you have won yourself a customer for life.

Favorite Features

The pure power and speed - it feels nice to leave newer cars in the dust.

Suggested Improvements

I suppose the seats could be a little more comfortable?

Don't Sell!
By Bobo Daclown

1990 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

These cars have excellent accident survivability. I was broadsided two years ago by a Saab running a red light at 64 mph, and there was no penetration into the cabin and no injuries to myself. The poor Saab was severly mangled. The funniest part was that my car was still driveable (yes the rear axle was completely lopsided but it moved). My car is 14 years old and it still outshines most new mid size sedans in style, in performance, and even durability. My best friend purchased a Buick Regal only to have it break down on the freeway 41,000 miles!

Favorite Features

4.0L v8 engine delivers plenty of power while still maintaining fuel economy. The car easily handles cruising speeds in the 100-120mph range. Top speed is actually 160 mph!

Suggested Improvements

The brakes were upgraded on newer years. If you hit 160, make sure you have several miles to stop. Repairs are costly, however infrequent.

Great Buy
By 34424

1990 Lexus LS 400 4dr Sedan

My car, though 14 years old and with 95,000 miles on it, drives better than most sedans out there. Very smooth ride, good power, and great power steering. Comfy on all roads, but best on the highway where its power and loose suspension are best put to use.

Favorite Features

All options still working, comfortable seats, good power and steering.

Suggested Improvements

Braking this heavy of a car is hard, and the brakes are adequate but not great. For whatever reason, minor engine problems can result in a shop having to remove the entire engine for a relatively easy to fix problem on another car. My starter broke and it cost me 900.