Hard to beat the whole package
By subdsgnr on
2009 Lexus IS 350 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)
This car is the best I've ever owned overall. The only thing I would trade would be a BMW sport suspension, but it's not worth all the frustration I've had with my 535i ($20k more than the IS!). I've had both the 250 and 350. I stuck with the IS350 because I value the acceleration, but the IS250 is really great and sporty with good mileage. The rear wheel drive platform has very precise steering with a firm suspension that still soaks up bumps pretty well. If you like a cushy, quiet ride, go with the ES. BMW, Acura, and Infiniti don't hold a candle to the overall combination of performance, reliability, and dealer experience. There is no better service department than that of Lexus.
Favorite Features
Direct/port mixed injection engine is powerful and efficient. Ergonomics are unmatched--even by other Lexuses. Styling makes my mother-in-law "drool", so she says. The acceleration of this car is really more like 0-60 in 4.9s (see C&D), which makes it a real sleeper. Infiniti G's are no match. Lexus dealer service is bar-none the best. Then again, I never owned a Bentley :-)
Suggested Improvements
Stock suspension setup is better on the 250 than the 350. The 350 has more understeer (Google it). I installed the aftermarket F-Sport sway bars, which made the 350 handle great now. Like ALL sporty cars, the aggressive wheel camber wears tires out much faster. Probably 20k miles for a set of tires.