2009 Lexus IS 350 Base Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Lexus Is-350 - Consumer Reviews

2009 IS 350 Consumer Reviews

Base 3.5L V6 6-speed Automatic - (10 reviews )

Sort Reviews by

Hard to beat the whole package
By subdsgnr

2009 Lexus IS 350 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This car is the best I've ever owned overall. The only thing I would trade would be a BMW sport suspension, but it's not worth all the frustration I've had with my 535i ($20k more than the IS!). I've had both the 250 and 350. I stuck with the IS350 because I value the acceleration, but the IS250 is really great and sporty with good mileage. The rear wheel drive platform has very precise steering with a firm suspension that still soaks up bumps pretty well. If you like a cushy, quiet ride, go with the ES. BMW, Acura, and Infiniti don't hold a candle to the overall combination of performance, reliability, and dealer experience. There is no better service department than that of Lexus.

Favorite Features

Direct/port mixed injection engine is powerful and efficient. Ergonomics are unmatched--even by other Lexuses. Styling makes my mother-in-law "drool", so she says. The acceleration of this car is really more like 0-60 in 4.9s (see C&D), which makes it a real sleeper. Infiniti G's are no match. Lexus dealer service is bar-none the best. Then again, I never owned a Bentley :-)

Suggested Improvements

Stock suspension setup is better on the 250 than the 350. The 350 has more understeer (Google it). I installed the aftermarket F-Sport sway bars, which made the 350 handle great now. Like ALL sporty cars, the aggressive wheel camber wears tires out much faster. Probably 20k miles for a set of tires.

Best Bang for your Buck!
By Ray

2009 Lexus IS 350 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I switched from an 03 BMW 530i. Yes I gave up a lot of interior room; but thats it! I gained so much more when I purchased this vehicle. It's faster, more reliable, better looking, fit and finish is worlds apart from BMW. Did I mention more reliable; so long to numerous trips to the repair shop. I am really enjoying this ride!

Favorite Features

I like the park assist (no more guessing in the garage) the headlights. I also like the auto-dimming rearview mirror. I average about 23.5 MPG so far, which is not bad for the performance. The perforated leather seats are cool too, no pun intended. My passengers like the cool air on their bums.

Suggested Improvements

I think navigation and the mark levison upgrades should come standard on these vehicles. The suspension could be a tad stiffer as well. No real complaints!

Worth Every Penny
By steve

2009 Lexus IS 350 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I decided on the IS350 mainly because of the great experiences I had from my IS250 in Asia. It is not a BMW, but I know it's likely to give me less trouble. I upgraded the sway bar with the F-sports parts, and it is definitely worth every penny.

Favorite Features

luxury interior

Suggested Improvements

I wish Lexus offers stick shift on this car.

This Car Rocks!
By EbbyLexi

2009 Lexus IS 350 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Test drove MB C350, Caddy CTS, Infiniti G37, M35X, Jag XF. All great cars however for me the IS 350 had the most bang for the buck. It is very fast, (5.1 secs 0-60), handling and quality are awesome and Smokey Granite Mica paint with light gray interior is absolutely gorgeous IMO. The ride is a little harsher as the suspension was returned for 2009, however the handling makes up for it and is never too harsh. AND I’ve been averaging 25 MPG about 50/50% city/hwy driving. My Infiniti G35C only Avg 21 MPG... I made the right decision, a lot of car for the money!

Favorite Features

All the gizmos are cool too... adaptive HID headlights that steer with the car, paddle shifters, push button start/keyless entry (just touch the handle), 13 speaker stereo, air cooled seats, backup camera, park assist, voice activated commands…list goes on and on. Highly recommend!

Suggested Improvements

No memory seats and power telescoping wheel as standard features. The rear seat is also a bit tight for leg room (although my four year old fits fine back there). Nav is DVD based vs. hard drive based models on some of its competitors. AWD may have been a nice option for the 350.

It's a rocket
By mathiase70

2009 Lexus IS 350 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have owned the is350 for 14 days approx... Ok it's a fun car to drive, the paddle shifters are a bit slow, faster on the 335i beemer twin turbo. I test drove these vehicles, CTS, ISF, IS350, BMW335i, Audi S4, C 63 AMG. Like them all. Ended up with IS350 and it's a good practical choice. Fuel economy is above average, comfort is good. Fit n finish this car is an excellent value, picked up the 09' for 7k less than asking price, car is fully loaded, plus 3m invisible shield, tint, nav. No question about it, great value, fit n finish is...? Well let's just say it's a Lexus.

Suggested Improvements

Paddle shifter improvement, memory seats, the transmission flutters between 3-4k in third gear, manual setting. Dont know why? It's a bit annoying. It's like the car has a mind of its own... 0-60... Quickly!

The performance of Lexus IS350 2009
By Kiyoshi Manabe

2009 Lexus IS 350 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased a Lexus IS350 with fabric seats in 2008 autumn. I traded a 1992 Mercedes-Benz 260E for it. My IS350 has average fuel consumption of 23.5mpg, far better than that of 20.4mpg for the Mercedes 260E. The acceleration is very exhilarating, reaching 0-62mph times of 5.2sec, SS1/4miles is about 14.2sec (That's not far from the best data of 13.5sec, of an American media.). Namely, my IS350's level of performance is about the same level as that of the Mercedes E550,the BMW335i,and even a Maserati Quattroporte of 401 horsepower! Max speed of my Japanese version is electronically limited at 180km/h (112mph), but if the limiter removed, it has the potential of reaching 270-280km/h (170-175mph).

Favorite Features

Bazooka power! It's as fast as the Jaguar XJR of 400 horsepower. The shock absorption of its suspension is very well suppressed; namely its ride is very supple. Fuel economy is on very high level considering its performance.

Suggested Improvements

Back space is so-so, as wide as that of BMW 3-series. Mercedes C-Class offers much more rear legroom, IS's back space can be better. Skimpy luggage space. Not so good visibility.

So Nice
By CoolLJ

2009 Lexus IS 350 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This was my second IS 350 purchase. I leased a 2006 IS350 for three years and liked it so much I just bought a new one after looking at BMW, Acura and the GS350. Just can't find a car as nice with both style and performance. It may not be the best in class in one particular aspect but it really is the best all round luxury sports car, hands down.

Favorite Features

Don't waste your time on the 250. The 350 is Power & Luxury at a great price. Worth the upgrade.

Suggested Improvements

Sharp turns and a little more seat padding. Just a little nit-picking here.

sport :( or luxury :)
By lxhxr

2009 Lexus IS 350 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Coming from a 2002 BMW 330ci, the Lexus IS 350 leaves a lot to desire. My main concern is the transmission, first of all they don't even make a manual transmission for the car, second of all, the "manual" shifts with paddle shifters are horribly delayed, it's at least 1.5 seconds when I am driving hard, this defeats the purpose of a high performance car. Even the 02 bmw had faster steptronic shifts. I agree with the quick acceleration and engine smoothness. My second concern is the handling, the car feels heavy when taking turns at +/- 25mph speed. Suspension must be improved a little bit. Aside of those two things I think the car looks great and its got a really nice "classy" interior.

Favorite Features

Standard leather interior, heating/cooling seats, back up camera, nice standard sound, excellent headlight lamp illumination, engine feels powerful and quiet.

Suggested Improvements

SHIFTING TIMES! Handling (therefore suspension), navigation system must be improved a lot!! Integrate google maps, that would make it perfect! :), gas mileage is not that good and somehow more leg space is needed.

Great power, great comfort
By Brandon Polk

2009 Lexus IS 350 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Bought the 2009 Lexus IS 350 after considering the Infiniti G35, Acura TL, and Nissan Maxima. Loved the quick, agile Lexus and the smooth powertrain. Exterior is a beauty in the Tungston Pearl (silver). Interior has all the comfort of a luxury car with lots of performance and power. I never was much of a driving enthusiast but this car has me looking for windy roads to have some fun. I was on the verge of getting the new Acura but felt the Lexus was more fun to drive.

Favorite Features

Powerful engine with smooth acceleration, great handling, ride smooth but just firm enough to make driving a visceral experience.

Suggested Improvements

Voice activation is a drawback, esp. compared to the Acura's voice activation navigation system. Make voice activation more functional and make navigation system more intuitive.

Wow
By lexuslover

2009 Lexus IS 350 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Never thought that I would get a Lexus over a Bmw or Mercedes. Bmw has always ruled the market, but after driving the Lexus i have to ask why? The Lexus is EVERYTHING and more than the Bmw 335i and almost 12k less-loaded out. Performance is excellent, it's quiet, all the controls are where they should be - it's perfect. I would totally recommend this car if you are looking at a performance-luxury small sedan.

Favorite Features

Engine, Keyless access, the way the dials move when you turn on the car, basically just EVERYTHING

Suggested Improvements

2 cupholders instead of 1, louder exhaust - have to buy a lot of accessories to make it more than perfect.