Used 2004 Lexus IS 300 E-Shift Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific IS 300 model:

2004 IS300 Automatic -
By zebani

2004 Lexus IS 300 E-Shift 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

My wife and I owned over 20 vehicles in the last 5 years, including IS250 & IS350, but I never wanted to get rid of my IS300. We have put 50K miles on this car over the last 3 years and it is THE MOST reliable car that I have ever owned. I always get 22-26 MPG mixed, 70% city and 30% highway, and the requires the absolute minimum maintenance such as brake pads, rotors and oil change. The timing belt had been just replaced when I bought the car and since then I only needed to replace the rotors, brake pads, spark plugs other than the regular oil change. I always use synthetic oil, premium gas and some fuel additives.

Favorite Features

Design

Suggested Improvements

I wish that the car had slightly bigger trunk but considering it is a midsize car, similar to E46 BMW or B6 Audi A4, the trunk size should not be a surprise. The melting dashboard can be an issue in certain cars, do your research and ask the seller if there are any scratches with the dash.

Terrible gas mileage, no back seat room
By slow_jim

2004 Lexus IS 300 E-Shift 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Surprisingly little room for a luxury car. My wife's 2010 Insight had more room. We bought this hoping that the gas mileage would be better than rated, as I had heard some owners were getting 30mpg highway. We did not find that to be the case. Even without the 'PWR' button on, we were only getting ~22mpg highway on premium. Simply unacceptable for such a small car. Also the dash on these has a chronic melting issue on the passenger side airbag cover. Interior really does not hold up well over time. My car was an 04 but felt more like it was 15-20 years old. Got rid of it in less than 6 months and gladly took a loss on the sale. Maintenance at Lexus dealerships is expensive, take it to Toyota

Favorite Features

Smooth ride and engine. Transmission shifts like butter as long as it has fresh fluid

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage. Very little space in the back for carseats or kids.

Hott
By Sonny D

2004 Lexus IS 300 E-Shift 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

The engine is the best part i found out that the engine is a toyota Supra Engine in it an its 215-hp with a addition of a booster increase the hp to 500-hp

Favorite Features

seating

Suggested Improvements

Change the body even though its still hot..an put new more horsepower instead of 215 which was great and fast when the car came out to like 300+ hp

Love our Lexus
By Jim&Michelle

2004 Lexus IS 300 E-Shift 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

We had a couple of BMW 3 series before this car and have been extremly pleased with the quality and conveniences of the Is300. I would suggest to those looking for an alternative to the BMW and Acura to test drive this car!! The reliabilty, along with the unreal pampering of Lexus has spoiled both my wife and I.

Reliability and fun
By DaveIS300

2004 Lexus IS 300 E-Shift 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Its been 4 months and I'm loving every second I'm in it. Luxury plus sporty features, its just great. Has great handling, looks great, and built to last with that Toyota quality. The only thing is gas mileage. Your better off driving leisurely with it to get better gas mileage. Driving it all city would hit you in the gas budget really fast. Otherwise, I love my full package deal all leather. Comfortable and has good speed not great, but something a modifaction of an exhaust and intake can help.

Favorite Features

Quietness and handling. Good pickup in 3rd and 4th gears.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage.