Used 2004 Lexus IS 300 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Lexus Is-300 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific IS 300 model:

Most Helpful|
Terrible gas mileage, no back seat room
By slow_jim

2004 Lexus IS 300 E-Shift 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Surprisingly little room for a luxury car. My wife's 2010 Insight had more room. We bought this hoping that the gas mileage would be better than rated, as I had heard some owners were getting 30mpg highway. We did not find that to be the case. Even without the 'PWR' button on, we were only getting ~22mpg highway on premium. Simply unacceptable for such a small car. Also the dash on these has a chronic melting issue on the passenger side airbag cover. Interior really does not hold up well over time. My car was an 04 but felt more like it was 15-20 years old. Got rid of it in less than 6 months and gladly took a loss on the sale. Maintenance at Lexus dealerships is expensive, take it to Toyota

Favorite Features

Smooth ride and engine. Transmission shifts like butter as long as it has fresh fluid

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage. Very little space in the back for carseats or kids.

NEVER DO AGAIN!!
By WILSION

2004 Lexus IS 300 SportCross 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

This car proves Lexus cut corners, I have been in service 4 times for simple stuff that continues to go wrong, no power, I should have bought a G35 and now to trade I will loose $8500 in 2 months time..... very unhappy

Favorite Features

paddle shift

Suggested Improvements

quality

Not a Winter Car
By JasonW

2004 Lexus IS 300 E-Shift 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I must tell all that are interested in the IS300 to BEWARE if you live in even mild winter climates. I own this car and purchased the limited slip differential and thought that the snow button in the car would help but they do nothing at all in even mild snow conditions. I live in Louisville, KY. It is like driving a death trap. I almost got in a wreck the first week I bought it and actually wrecked this past Thanksgiving. I have to put 200lbs of salt bags in the small trunk to hopefully keep me from sliding and spinning my back tires. Don't buy this car unless you live in the SOUTH!

Favorite Features

6 CD changer and 17" alloy wheels

Suggested Improvements

SNOW HANDLING, BETTER MPG

Don't Do It!
By Linda G.

2004 Lexus IS 300 E-Shift 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I like driving this car. That being said: 1) tires. The car comes w/performance tires which means they are soft -- i had to replace them at 20,000 miles. there is only one replacement tire right now -- it cost over $1,000 for 4 tires. 2) reliability. a few weeks ago the car died in as i was accelerating in an intersection. it was towed to lexus who tried to fix it for 2 days to no avail. on the 3rd day the car miraculously started ... no explanation whatsoever. lexus customer service was not helpful and pitiful. i am thoroughly disappointed with this car.

Not impressed
By not impressed

2004 Lexus IS 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought new in 04, hated it so traded my mom for her Audi, she's got 49K on it now and likes it. The car doesn't have the driver/road connection like my Audi or Saab and doesn't feel expensive like other Lexus cars. Around town speed is good but above 60 mph has no power. Original suspension had so-so handling & comfort. Suspension was replaced 3X by dealer bc it kept squeaking, now has K&N suspension & handles & rides better. Other then that no problems, not even brakes. Interior materials & design are cheap. MPG is pathetic. Auto trans is overeager to upshift into 2nd gear which dulls acceleration unless you stay heavy on the throttle- which eats more gas. Manual mode is worthless.

Favorite Features

leather quality, seat comfort (other then no lumbar support), powerful Xenon lights, reliable (other then original suspension), no squeaks/rattles

Suggested Improvements

Better MPG, lumbar support, cheap interior plastics, cup holders, poor sound system. Could use some added features. But new IS addresses most of these issues very well.