Used 2004 Lexus IS 300 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Most Helpful|
Nice car
By slotmaker

2004 Lexus IS 300 E-Shift 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Great car with smooth inline 6, as smooth as a Honda or a BMW. Edgeier looks for a younger audience.

Favorite Features

Chronograph gauges, Chrome on shift knob, clear (smoked?) lens tail lights, nice xenon/foglight combo. Ultra smooth/quiet car

Suggested Improvements

More Frenetic engine, like Honda/Acura Type S models or BMW M series.

Reliability and fun
By DaveIS300

2004 Lexus IS 300 E-Shift 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Its been 4 months and I'm loving every second I'm in it. Luxury plus sporty features, its just great. Has great handling, looks great, and built to last with that Toyota quality. The only thing is gas mileage. Your better off driving leisurely with it to get better gas mileage. Driving it all city would hit you in the gas budget really fast. Otherwise, I love my full package deal all leather. Comfortable and has good speed not great, but something a modifaction of an exhaust and intake can help.

Favorite Features

Quietness and handling. Good pickup in 3rd and 4th gears.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage.

Want BMW performance with reliability?
By Tom

2004 Lexus IS 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This car has superb handling as it almost begs to be thrown around. The fuel economy leaves much to be desired but if you cared about gas then you would have bought a Prius. Styling is very good, but the interior instrument panel could be sleeker. This car definitely turns heads, more so than a 325i. I wanted a sports sedan with actual reliability and you cannot go wrong here. This is my first Lexus purchase and I believe I will stick with them after being very satisfied with my IS 300.

Favorite Features

Handling, acceleration, exterior styling, chrome E-shift knob, Xenons, mechanical reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Better instrument panel layout, more bass from the Lexus Premium sound system, better fuel economy.

Not impressed
By not impressed

2004 Lexus IS 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought new in 04, hated it so traded my mom for her Audi, she's got 49K on it now and likes it. The car doesn't have the driver/road connection like my Audi or Saab and doesn't feel expensive like other Lexus cars. Around town speed is good but above 60 mph has no power. Original suspension had so-so handling & comfort. Suspension was replaced 3X by dealer bc it kept squeaking, now has K&N suspension & handles & rides better. Other then that no problems, not even brakes. Interior materials & design are cheap. MPG is pathetic. Auto trans is overeager to upshift into 2nd gear which dulls acceleration unless you stay heavy on the throttle- which eats more gas. Manual mode is worthless.

Favorite Features

leather quality, seat comfort (other then no lumbar support), powerful Xenon lights, reliable (other then original suspension), no squeaks/rattles

Suggested Improvements

Better MPG, lumbar support, cheap interior plastics, cup holders, poor sound system. Could use some added features. But new IS addresses most of these issues very well.

Terrible gas mileage, no back seat room
By slow_jim

2004 Lexus IS 300 E-Shift 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Surprisingly little room for a luxury car. My wife's 2010 Insight had more room. We bought this hoping that the gas mileage would be better than rated, as I had heard some owners were getting 30mpg highway. We did not find that to be the case. Even without the 'PWR' button on, we were only getting ~22mpg highway on premium. Simply unacceptable for such a small car. Also the dash on these has a chronic melting issue on the passenger side airbag cover. Interior really does not hold up well over time. My car was an 04 but felt more like it was 15-20 years old. Got rid of it in less than 6 months and gladly took a loss on the sale. Maintenance at Lexus dealerships is expensive, take it to Toyota

Favorite Features

Smooth ride and engine. Transmission shifts like butter as long as it has fresh fluid

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage. Very little space in the back for carseats or kids.