2004 Lexus IS 300 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific IS 300 model:
Terrible gas mileage, no back seat room
By slow_jim on 08/28/12 07:13 AM (PDT)

2004 Lexus IS 300 Sedan E-Shift 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Surprisingly little room for a luxury car. My wife's 2010 Insight had more room. We bought this hoping that the gas mileage would be better than rated, as I had heard some owners were getting 30mpg highway. We did not find that to be the case. Even without the 'PWR' button on, we were only getting ~22mpg highway on premium. Simply unacceptable for such a small car. Also the dash on these has a chronic melting issue on the passenger side airbag cover. Interior really does not hold up well over time. My car was an 04 but felt more like it was 15-20 years old. Got rid of it in less than 6 months and gladly took a loss on the sale. Maintenance at Lexus dealerships is expensive, take it to Toyota

By RJ Rafael on 06/23/10 15:17 PM (PDT)

2004 Lexus IS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I know this sound generic but "I love my car!" this was my first new car and it is still my daily driver. I currently have 88,090 miles and I am still running on the original front brakes, clutch, belts & shocks! Driving stick really extends the life of your car. Only had to replace 1 bad shock, the battery, rear brakes and everything else is from 2004. About to change the timing belt, water pump, etc. but I'm almost at 90,000 miles so my is 300 has done me proud. You expect quality and reliability from Lexus/Toyota and they delivered. Mine is is so much fun to drive, it's quick around corners and the ride is very smooth. The transmission is the smoothest I have ever driven.

Not impressed
By not impressed on 07/01/09 23:02 PM (PDT)

2004 Lexus IS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought new in 04, hated it so traded my mom for her Audi, she's got 49K on it now and likes it. The car doesn't have the driver/road connection like my Audi or Saab and doesn't feel expensive like other Lexus cars. Around town speed is good but above 60 mph has no power. Original suspension had so-so handling & comfort. Suspension was replaced 3X by dealer bc it kept squeaking, now has K&N suspension & handles & rides better. Other then that no problems, not even brakes. Interior materials & design are cheap. MPG is pathetic. Auto trans is overeager to upshift into 2nd gear which dulls acceleration unless you stay heavy on the throttle- which eats more gas. Manual mode is worthless.

Nice!!
By Jon on 04/22/09 17:54 PM (PDT)

2004 Lexus IS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Drove BMW 3 series, G35, Volvo S60 and IS 300 just to be complete. Expected to buy the G35 but after driving the Lexus, I just loved driving it. It was by far the most engaging, quietest, and tightest ride. The G35 was faster in a straight line but I felt "one-with-the-car" driving the IS 300. Feels much faster than it really is. And it is not slow. Beautiful styling in and out and great build quality. Was also sold on the reliability record. Consumer Reports listed it as one of the top 3 most reliable cars for 2004. I hope that holds true with mine.

Just got it
By admanc on 03/05/09 21:34 PM (PST)

2004 Lexus IS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I test drove the 2004 IS300 against a beautiful 2004 BMW 328ci (that I really wanted to love and buy). After driving both cars, I realized the IS300 was the much better car across the boards. Mechanically, the Lexus ran smooth and sound, with a lot more get-up and go. The BMW was sluggish and seemed to hesitate a lot more, with some choppy shifting between gears. I had been told by many people that the BMW would have more problems than the Lexus and in test-driving both, I had to concede that they were right. I bought the Lexus.

WOW!
By jbdusf on 02/20/07 08:37 AM (PST)

2004 Lexus IS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I was looking to buy a new car and was thinking Nissan Maximas, BMW 325i, Infiniti G35. I actually stopped at a dealership looking to see if they had any of the above models. They didn't, however I saw a silver Lexus IS 300. I knew this was the car for me! I am in Real Estate so I needed a 4 door sedan. I had a 2001 Toyota Celica. This was the best of both worlds. Luxurious sedan as well as high performance sports car. The steering wheel shift buttons are awesome! 0-60 in 6.7 seconds which is on par with a Porsche Boxster! It handles like a dream! The ONLY complaint is that the gas mileage is poor for the size car it is. Overall, it is a great car and I highly recommend it!!

Want BMW performance with reliability?
By Tom on 01/23/07 12:30 PM (PST)

2004 Lexus IS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This car has superb handling as it almost begs to be thrown around. The fuel economy leaves much to be desired but if you cared about gas then you would have bought a Prius. Styling is very good, but the interior instrument panel could be sleeker. This car definitely turns heads, more so than a 325i. I wanted a sports sedan with actual reliability and you cannot go wrong here. This is my first Lexus purchase and I believe I will stick with them after being very satisfied with my IS 300.

Amazing Car
By Nickster on 12/17/05 12:25 PM (PST)

2004 Lexus IS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

After owning BMWs and Audis, the quality that goes into a Lexus is unmatched. I'm a new life-time customer.

good looking car
By cholodeperu on 11/13/05 16:39 PM (PST)

2004 Lexus IS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought the car brand new back in January 04. Got it in black and when I first saw it, I loved it. Now the paint is kind of dull and some scratches are starting to show. I say my favorite color now is the white one, the charcoal and red color is nice too. The car is fast every now and then and very uncomfortable in long trips. The mpg is not so bad if the gas prices stay low. If the car came with 18" or 19" wheels it would be a 10 in looks.

Second times the charm!
By Froman on 07/01/05 14:16 PM (PDT)

2004 Lexus IS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

After testdriving the IS a year ago I was talked into purchasing an SUV, big mistake and have regretted it ever since. Fed up with the SUV after only a year I listened to my gut and made a bee line for the IS and have fallen in love with the car!