2003 Lexus IS 300 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific IS 300 model:
Understand what you're buying
By 03is300 on 04/21/11 11:57 AM (PDT)

2003 Lexus IS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Note: I am a car guy, I'm not even 30 and this is my seventh car (not an idiot, just an enthusiast with a few extra nickels to burn on car payments), this is not a worthless review where I talk about how I don't like the cupholders or the color..... Aside from a few minor issues, this vehicle is a great choice, especially now that the prices have dropped dramatically. This is not your grandfather's lexus, it does not ride like its on rails and a lot of the 'luxury' options are simply not included with this model. Previous vehicle: 2005 Audi A4 with every option imaginable, the two are not comparable on any level beyond purchase price. Overall a fantastic car, just understand what ur buying

2003 Lexus IS300 Sport Design
By Justin on 03/27/10 22:02 PM (PDT)

2003 Lexus IS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my 2003 black on black Lexus sport design in 2009 with 86k miles on it. The car drove and performed awesome the whole time i owned it. The interior is classy/sporty and stylish. Every girl I've taken on a drive loved the car. The car's chrome shift ball is F1 inspired i love the look. The door stiles have silver step plates. Car never fail me but the previous owner never changed the factory battery and it died on me twice. That's the only problem i had but the battery was 6 years old so go figure. Love the car had to sell it because i need money. The sport design is 300 is a great car. Get you one!

Love this car
By bosco on 02/07/09 14:54 PM (PST)

2003 Lexus IS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this car with 29,000 miles on it. Love the styling inside and out. Seats are very comfortable with high quality leather. Dash and instruments have a great design and cool orange color at night. Also love the 6-disc in-dash CD changer. Low profile tires look awesome, but the stock tires rode rough, so I switched to similar tires with lower speed rating which ride much smoother. I get compliments on this car all the time. Other than oil, tires, and brakes have had absolutely no issues. I did get a disc stuck in the changer - think I jammed it in there, my fault - but the dealer replaced the whole unit under warranty in 2 days. Engine rocks, especially around 3-4k RPM.

Reliable
By Reliable on 06/23/08 10:04 AM (PDT)

2003 Lexus IS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Love the car. Bought it with 15K on it and it's got just over 80K now. Sporty, handles great, looks great but most of all it's reliable. In 65K miles of driving, I have had to do squat to the car other than oil and change the tires. Obvious normal maintenance but still haven't needed brakes, belts are getting ready but no mechanical problems at all. Especially the A/C - works like a champ and still freezes me out.

A Different Breed of Lexus
By Modder on 03/25/07 18:56 PM (PDT)

2003 Lexus IS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I buy cars for their performance and moddability (and this car is very moddable having the Supra's 2jz and all), but I'll rate this car from a consumers point of view, since you are probably interested in buying this car. This is not your average type of Lexus. Lexus' are usually known for their comfort and amenities, but this car is different. The IS 300 was designed to compete with the 3 series, and that it does. This is a SPORT sedan, so it drives like one, do not buy this car expecting the usual laid back handling of the other cars in the Lexus fleet. This is definitely the car to buy, if you are looking for a RELIABLE car that will add some excitement to your daily commute to work.

Best car I have ever owned
By Dabrt on 03/23/07 10:46 AM (PDT)

2003 Lexus IS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have had my Lexus for a year and a half and its been wonderful. No problems at all. Driving it is so much fun and it handles great. The only downside about owning a Lexus is the upkeep is very expensive if you get it done at the dealership.

A Great Replacement
By astro403 on 02/04/07 15:37 PM (PST)

2003 Lexus IS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Decided it was time to upgrade from my 1999 Honda Prelude but was a little skeptical at first. I loved that car. Great handling, good power, unbelieveable reliability, the list goes on. After I bought the IS, all my skepticism was put to rest. Love the handling (although I had to get used to RWD again) performance, sexy styling and yes, even gas mileage. My IS gets about the same as my prelude. And we're talking about a 3.0L V6 compared to a 2.2L 4 banger. I was impressed. Traction is OK in the snow. Living up in Canada you need winter tires, but even with them and with both trac. control and snow mode on, the wheels still slip quite easily, but if you pay attention like you should, you'll be fine.

Fun and affordable
By David on 01/10/07 11:47 AM (PST)

2003 Lexus IS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

The IS 300 is fun to drive, it handles really well. I have the 5 speed so it's quicker than the automatic (I drove both). The interior is sleek and I love the exterior. All around I have been very pleased with this car. I have had a couple isolated issues that fell under warranty, but I've talked to other owners who didn't have the same issues.

Great deal
By LexusLover on 01/09/07 12:16 PM (PST)

2003 Lexus IS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have had this car a little over 2 years now, purchased senior year in HS. Have never had any problem other than battery replacement. My friends love to ride in it/drive it. Good for sporty design and driving but also the ability to put decent cargo in it. My friend built me a custom woofer box and I still have ample space in trunk. I plan on driving this car until it can't drive anymore, which, if it keeps up like it has, will be a long time from now.

IS 300 - none better in its class
By cvp7878 on 08/15/06 17:00 PM (PDT)

2003 Lexus IS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Excellent handling and great acceleration. The dash gauges are like no other car. Built solid and let's face it it's a Lexus. I have had for over a year and I love it. It can run with any car in its class.