Used 2003 Lexus IS 300 SportCross Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific IS 300 model:

Long time owner
By nyjeff

2003 Lexus IS 300 SportCross 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought the car new in 03, 1st car I've ever put on 100K + miles. The car has been great - limited repairs (brakes); fun to drive, sporty; very practical, folded down split rear and front seat to carry home 8' lumber. Mostly commuting, but also long trips. Ride a bit harsh on seamed or rough roads.

Favorite Features

Interior style more sophisticated than others; Flat fold down of frt and rear seats; engine

Suggested Improvements

driver seat memory; higher profile, less performance tires

Gram's fun car
By Unique in Omaha

2003 Lexus IS 300 SportCross 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Since purchasing this car 18 mos. ago with 7000 mi on it, it has been one of the most fun, reliable cars I have ever owned. My grandchildren love riding in it and I can haul my plants and flowers with seats folded down. I get so many compliments on the looks, even from total strangers.

Favorite Features

Great handling, fabulous look.

Suggested Improvements

A little small for my friends over 6 feet.

lexus is
By matt pickett

2003 Lexus IS 300 SportCross 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

love the look handling and performance of the car

Road trip
By KJsIS

2003 Lexus IS 300 SportCross 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I took a road trip from Texas to NY and back about 3 weeks after buying this Sportcross. I found that I had to use cruise control on long drives, otherwise the seat would become very uncomfortable for my gas pedal leg. I've taken this trip before in a GTI VR6 and didn't experience any discomfort. Of course, this problem wouldn't be noticed during day to day driving, only on 600+ mile cruises. Besides that, the paint chipped much more than I expected for a premium car (GTI fared better). Other than those issues, I've truly enjoyed the 2 months with this car.

Favorite Features

Great stereo, very good handling, and the Sportcross' looks are unique. I did not see another on the road during the 4000 mile trip (only sedan versions). I got many 'thumbs up' from passing motorists and have had a lot of positive comments from people checking out the car.

Suggested Improvements

Driver's seat front adjustment similar to BMW 330 because the seats seem a little short and become uncomfortable on long drives. A few more horses would be nice and/or a 6-speed transmission.

Lexus Sport Cross
By kokomokid

2003 Lexus IS 300 SportCross 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

What I wanted in a car when I bought the IS 300 Sport Cross was a car that would drive like a sports car, but transport R/C model planes easily. It fills the bill, except that a manual tranmission is not available in the Sport Cross.

Favorite Features

Smooth, nice sounding inline 6 engine Excellent auto trans in "normal" mode Excellent handling Comfortable accomodations for two Perfect reliability so far

Suggested Improvements

Make manual trans available, and make "manual" mode on automatic do what you tell it to, i.e. no automatic downshifts and no automatic upshifts except to avoid over-reving engine. Reduce road and wind noise a little. There is more of both than seems proper for a Lexus.