Used 2003 Lexus IS 300 E-Shift Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Lexus IS 300 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific IS 300 model:

Bought it used, but it still had zero problems!
By gpokhare

2003 Lexus IS 300 E-Shift 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought it w/ 120,000 KMs and as a rebuilt title. Amazingly fun car to drive in the summer, and is extremely reliable. In 2 years owning it, outside of having to change the brake pad and battery, I only had to come in to the shop for oil changes and tire changes. However, the car is not good for heavy winter driving. Because its RWD and fairly light, you have to be extremely careful when driving it in heavy snow roads as it tends to slide. The stock stereo is unbelievable. I tried a 2014 BMW this year, and the stereo on that didn't even match the 03 Lexus IS stereo. Also, this car's safety features protected me very well when I was t-boned by another car. I would highly recommend this car.

- Stereo - RWD acceleration picks up quickly - Safety - Reliable and rarely had any issues outside of maintenance (despite me driving a rebuilt title) - The handling is amazing - very tight turns - Its a looker, especially from the back

- Winter driving is not that good - the car tends to slide, even with heavy winter tires on, so you'll have to drive carefully - Takes premium gas - cost me about $60-70 to fill up a tank (in Toronto, Canada) - Really bad at going up inclines - engine would audibly strain, and it drove much slower than other cars in that same setting - At least in my car, heating up the engine during the Canadian winter took about 6-10 minutes. If I did not heat up the engine and tried to drive, the engine would sometimes stall

Home-Run
By 03is

2003 Lexus IS 300 E-Shift 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Ready? Love the car, but since I just recently bought it, I've had to do some work getting it up to par as the prior owner didn't take great care. However, it's a Lexus, so a blind monkey could drive it into a lake and it'd be better than anything on the road. A few cosmetic issues inside and out, and 90k service hadn't been done. When something breaks on this car, it's costly. But if you take care of it, it'll take care of you. I wish they had that mentality! That said, It's a joy to drive. Slightly heavy and a bit sluggish, but with 200+hp, you don't lack for power. Finding low-mileage units is just about impossible, and when you purchase yours, you'll see why.

Good sounds system, great looks, wonderful power (especially w/ PWR ECU button). No problems w/ snow despite being RWD. Plenty of classy upgrades one can install to contribute to personality without it being one of those dumb looking cars younger folks try to make it into.

More engine noise! I love the driving experience, and this car does a great job to keep everything quite. Let me hear the horses in the stable at work!

Sold my IS 300 after Seven good years
By Aja1

2003 Lexus IS 300 E-Shift 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I just traded in my '03 IS after seven years and 161,000 miles (purchased new). During my ownership, I never replaced a light bulb, only replaced the brakes once and the tires twice. The car was a joy to drive and I would have kept it for another 100,000 if I didn't need a bigger car for a growing family. I wish I liked the new IS series as much, but I thought the styling dropped off and the inline-6 was special.

Styling, reliability, performance.

A 6th speed would have been nice and would have probably improved fuel economy.

IS 300 Superb!!!
By Carlos Dextre

I do love this machine.

everything

Maybe 280 HP to match the Infinity Line.

AWESOME CAR! HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT!
By REDD

2003 Lexus IS 300 E-Shift 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

THE REVIEW OF IT SAYS IT ALL. THE ONLY DRAWBACK IS THE GAS MILEAGE.