2003 Lexus IS 300 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific IS 300 model:
Bought it used, but it still had zero problems!
By gpokhare on 12/09/14 07:48 AM (PST)

2003 Lexus IS 300 E-Shift 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought it w/ 120,000 KMs and as a rebuilt title. Amazingly fun car to drive in the summer, and is extremely reliable. In 2 years owning it, outside of having to change the brake pad and battery, I only had to come in to the shop for oil changes and tire changes. However, the car is not good for heavy winter driving. Because its RWD and fairly light, you have to be extremely careful when driving it in heavy snow roads as it tends to slide. The stock stereo is unbelievable. I tried a 2014 BMW this year, and the stereo on that didn't even match the 03 Lexus IS stereo. Also, this car's safety features protected me very well when I was t-boned by another car. I would highly recommend this car.

Long time owner
By nyjeff on 01/20/13 10:20 AM (PST)

2003 Lexus IS 300 SportCross 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought the car new in 03, 1st car I've ever put on 100K + miles. The car has been great - limited repairs (brakes); fun to drive, sporty; very practical, folded down split rear and front seat to carry home 8' lumber. Mostly commuting, but also long trips. Ride a bit harsh on seamed or rough roads.

Home-Run
By 03is on 07/11/11 17:28 PM (PDT)

2003 Lexus IS 300 E-Shift 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Ready? Love the car, but since I just recently bought it, I've had to do some work getting it up to par as the prior owner didn't take great care. However, it's a Lexus, so a blind monkey could drive it into a lake and it'd be better than anything on the road. A few cosmetic issues inside and out, and 90k service hadn't been done. When something breaks on this car, it's costly. But if you take care of it, it'll take care of you. I wish they had that mentality! That said, It's a joy to drive. Slightly heavy and a bit sluggish, but with 200+hp, you don't lack for power. Finding low-mileage units is just about impossible, and when you purchase yours, you'll see why.

Understand what you're buying
By 03is300 on 04/21/11 11:57 AM (PDT)

2003 Lexus IS 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Note: I am a car guy, I'm not even 30 and this is my seventh car (not an idiot, just an enthusiast with a few extra nickels to burn on car payments), this is not a worthless review where I talk about how I don't like the cupholders or the color..... Aside from a few minor issues, this vehicle is a great choice, especially now that the prices have dropped dramatically. This is not your grandfather's lexus, it does not ride like its on rails and a lot of the 'luxury' options are simply not included with this model. Previous vehicle: 2005 Audi A4 with every option imaginable, the two are not comparable on any level beyond purchase price. Overall a fantastic car, just understand what ur buying

Sold my IS 300 after Seven good years
By Aja1 on 07/27/10 11:11 AM (PDT)

2003 Lexus IS 300 E-Shift 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I just traded in my '03 IS after seven years and 161,000 miles (purchased new). During my ownership, I never replaced a light bulb, only replaced the brakes once and the tires twice. The car was a joy to drive and I would have kept it for another 100,000 if I didn't need a bigger car for a growing family. I wish I liked the new IS series as much, but I thought the styling dropped off and the inline-6 was special.

2003 Lexus IS300 Sport Design
By Justin on 03/27/10 22:02 PM (PDT)

2003 Lexus IS 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my 2003 black on black Lexus sport design in 2009 with 86k miles on it. The car drove and performed awesome the whole time i owned it. The interior is classy/sporty and stylish. Every girl I've taken on a drive loved the car. The car's chrome shift ball is F1 inspired i love the look. The door stiles have silver step plates. Car never fail me but the previous owner never changed the factory battery and it died on me twice. That's the only problem i had but the battery was 6 years old so go figure. Love the car had to sell it because i need money. The sport design is 300 is a great car. Get you one!

Love this car
By bosco on 02/07/09 14:54 PM (PST)

2003 Lexus IS 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this car with 29,000 miles on it. Love the styling inside and out. Seats are very comfortable with high quality leather. Dash and instruments have a great design and cool orange color at night. Also love the 6-disc in-dash CD changer. Low profile tires look awesome, but the stock tires rode rough, so I switched to similar tires with lower speed rating which ride much smoother. I get compliments on this car all the time. Other than oil, tires, and brakes have had absolutely no issues. I did get a disc stuck in the changer - think I jammed it in there, my fault - but the dealer replaced the whole unit under warranty in 2 days. Engine rocks, especially around 3-4k RPM.

Reliable
By Reliable on 06/23/08 10:04 AM (PDT)

2003 Lexus IS 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Love the car. Bought it with 15K on it and it's got just over 80K now. Sporty, handles great, looks great but most of all it's reliable. In 65K miles of driving, I have had to do squat to the car other than oil and change the tires. Obvious normal maintenance but still haven't needed brakes, belts are getting ready but no mechanical problems at all. Especially the A/C - works like a champ and still freezes me out.

A Different Breed of Lexus
By Modder on 03/25/07 18:56 PM (PDT)

2003 Lexus IS 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I buy cars for their performance and moddability (and this car is very moddable having the Supra's 2jz and all), but I'll rate this car from a consumers point of view, since you are probably interested in buying this car. This is not your average type of Lexus. Lexus' are usually known for their comfort and amenities, but this car is different. The IS 300 was designed to compete with the 3 series, and that it does. This is a SPORT sedan, so it drives like one, do not buy this car expecting the usual laid back handling of the other cars in the Lexus fleet. This is definitely the car to buy, if you are looking for a RELIABLE car that will add some excitement to your daily commute to work.

Best car I have ever owned
By Dabrt on 03/23/07 10:46 AM (PDT)

2003 Lexus IS 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have had my Lexus for a year and a half and its been wonderful. No problems at all. Driving it is so much fun and it handles great. The only downside about owning a Lexus is the upkeep is very expensive if you get it done at the dealership.