2002 Lexus IS 300 Consumer Review: Unstoppable

2002 Lexus IS 300 - Consumer Review

Base Sedan (3.0L 6-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

By RJ on

2002 Lexus IS 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

In 7 years I've driven 160K+ fun, yet trouble-free miles. Replaced clutch & timing belt @ 100K. Other than that, just tires, brakes & fluids. Still looks & drives like new. I get 24 mpg on the highway @ 80mph. This car handles crisply and has a nice, broad powerband. I read Edmunds reviews on the '02 BMW 3-series & I can't believe it has a similar review score to the IS when every other review complains about excessive repairs & costs. I put more faith in the reviews of people who've owned the car for a while than those who post a review right after purchase. Reliability is the 2nd most important factor in my buying decision. Fun to drive is #1. IS doesn't disappoint in either category!

Inline 6 engine is wonderfully smooth & sounds great. Fine manual trans. Very good steering feel and handling, Steering compares well to BMW and is superior to all other Lexus models I've driven, even the new IS350 & IS-F. Pop-up nav screen is neat & is situated in a very good viewing position.

A clear cover for the Nav controls, which would prevent spills from drinks in cup holder seeping into control panel. I have to wedge napkins around my drinks. Fold down rear seats would be very nice too.