Used 2002 Lexus IS 300 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific IS 300 model:

Great Car
By Great Car

2002 Lexus IS 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

It just does everything well. It's a blast to drive, and it cruises like a big car. Navigation system needs to be more intuitive, and fuel economy isn't great, but overall we're super happy with this little sedan!

Favorite Features

Five speed trans. and interior design.

Suggested Improvements

Navigation system & fuel economy

Terrific Car
By chippy

2002 Lexus IS 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Utterly reliable. Near supercar braking. Superb handling and ride with L-Tuned performance springs and swaybars that makes stock car seem too soft. Silky smooth engine. Crisp 5MT. Very comfortable driving position. Good controls layout.

Favorite Features

I like that it is a rare car. Sportier than the overpriced 3 Series. Safety.

Suggested Improvements

CD changer. Creak prone sunroof.

Fun, Reliable Car, Expensive to Maintain
By 2001isowner

2002 Lexus IS 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

It's a quick fun car to drive on dry surface. Worst car on the road in snow with high performance tires installed. Running into high maintenance cost down the road. I have a 2001 IS ... be prepared to drop $500+ at the dealership on the timing belt at 90k and $300 when the oxygen sensor goes. Rims and tires are a nightmare.

Favorite Features

Handles great on dry surface. Fun to drive. Easy access controls.

Suggested Improvements

Can never go wrong with more power. Lower lifetime ownership cost. Better handling in the snow.

Better Then BMW
By Better Then BMR

2002 Lexus IS 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I shopped around for some time before I decided on my IS 300. What brought me to it at first was the Lexus name and good looks of the car and once I drove it!! WOW!! This is a great car!! Fun to drive, smooth as hell and at times almost seems to know what you're going to do before you do it! Inside the car offers great comfort and you almost forget you're in a sports car. Every friend of mine that has sat in it has used the word WOW a few times! After having this car for a few months I'm so glad I didn't buy a BMW!

Favorite Features

Sound system is great. Controls are easy to use. My favorite feature??? THE GAS PEDAL!

Suggested Improvements

The only thing I really hate about the car is that the AC comes on by itself sometime...I hate that! The car is fast... but could be faster! A few more horses under hood sure wouldn't hurt.

Used Lexus
By pdiddy

2002 Lexus IS 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Got the Lexus used with 67k. Love the Nav system, leather, power seats. Car has plenty of power and handles perfectly, while the car is still smooth and quiet. Would have gotten a BMW but went with the Lexus quality. For 21.5K OTD, much better than a base model new accord and camry.

Favorite Features

Nav, heated seats, handling and SPEED. Very stable car, and comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

How can the mileage be so bad? It's about the same mileage as a LS 400, only lighter with a smaller engine. My only, but BIG complaint.