Used 2002 Lexus IS 300 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific IS 300 model:

IS 300 Outstanding
By lugbolt

2002 Lexus IS 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This has been a great car, with a fun driving experience. I test drove everything higher and lower in price, but I found nothing more exciting. Lexus quality is evident in ride and performance.

Favorite Features

Manual tranny is smooth and easy to work. The manual shift mode is much better than other cars I've driven. Lets you stay in manual mode with full auto control.

Worth every penny.
By Lemnkr8

2002 Lexus IS 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

IS 300 has great looks and great performance and with the five-speed transmission is is every reason I needed to never purchase the low quality , poorly conceived product offered by the "Big 3" automakers. Every detail has been addressed by Lexus engineers to make a high quality product that is fun to drive and easy to maintain. This car is worth every dollar you pay for it.

Favorite Features

5 speed transmission, compass in rear view mirror, great handling, great responsiveness.

Suggested Improvements

Chip-resistant exterior finish.

A Great Little Car
By Ace is300

2002 Lexus IS 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've had my IS for over 15 months and I can't even believe how drama-free and worry-free it's been. It's a sweet heart of a car. I love this car. It's got great handling, good acceleration (I've got the rare 5 spd/man.), awesome color (Solar Yellow), and adequate luxury (Nav.syster,heated seats, full leather, 6 disc cd). But it's the fun factor that keeps me smiling.

Favorite Features

Handling, looks, color, the rare straight 6 cylinder engine, sporty dash design

Suggested Improvements

More luxury, about 25-30 more horses, a 6 spd.man, more back seat space

IS 300 5spd
By ProfessorP

2002 Lexus IS 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought new in spring '03 & still love to drive it. Flawless reliability. Has 80K+ miles, but feels & looks new. Replaced two sets of tires & one set of brake pads. A blast to drive. Sold my SC 400 6 mos after buying this car, because I never drove the SC anymore. Handles better than most sports cars, turn-in is crisp and fast, steering is not overboosted. Could use a bit less body roll in stock form. Swapped in Eibach springs and handling is noticably improved. Power from the inline 6 is smooth & the sound of the engine is a wonderful purr. Interior layout is perfect, fits like a good racing glove. A true driver's car. I also enjoy the fine Nav System w/easy to use controls at my fingertips.

Favorite Features

Manual transmission, rear wheel drive, ability to fully disable traction control, great brakes, distinctive looks, suprisingly good stereo system, excellent Xenon headlamps, stylish 17" wheels.

Suggested Improvements

None. Anything else would ruin the simple purity of this 4-door sports car.

What I Expected
By Carolina Rocket

2002 Lexus IS 300 SportCross 4dr Wagon (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Car is exactly what I expected except the gas consumption. Tried to save money by using mid grade instead of the premium required. Have gone back to premium and expect mileage to improve. Sound system is fantastic. Steering is equal to the S2000. Room in the rear is much better than expected.

Favorite Features

Looks, Sound system, Different. Its a Lexus = reliable.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage.