2002 Lexus IS 300 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific IS 300 model:
Great Car
By CB on 07/11/09 20:51 PM (PDT)

2002 Lexus IS 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Mechanically robust. Silky smooth engine. Manual Transmission. Enough aftermarket parts to turn the car into the real sports sedan it is supposed to be. Rare.

Unstoppable
By RJ on 06/15/09 09:50 AM (PDT)

2002 Lexus IS 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

In 7 years I've driven 160K+ fun, yet trouble-free miles. Replaced clutch & timing belt @ 100K. Other than that, just tires, brakes & fluids. Still looks & drives like new. I get 24 mpg on the highway @ 80mph. This car handles crisply and has a nice, broad powerband. I read Edmunds reviews on the '02 BMW 3-series & I can't believe it has a similar review score to the IS when every other review complains about excessive repairs & costs. I put more faith in the reviews of people who've owned the car for a while than those who post a review right after purchase. Reliability is the 2nd most important factor in my buying decision. Fun to drive is #1. IS doesn't disappoint in either category!

One of the best cars on the road
By engfant on 05/27/09 11:29 AM (PDT)

2002 Lexus IS 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Everything about this car is 5 Star quality. Never have a problem with 65K miles. You cannot get a better small sedan than this car. The end.

Great Car
By DnA on 05/18/09 13:30 PM (PDT)

2002 Lexus IS 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Except for the lame gas mileage and soft paint, this car has been a pleasure. Super fun with the 5-speed and very comfortable on long trips.

Great Daily Driver
By soulman on 01/30/09 13:22 PM (PST)

2002 Lexus IS 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this IS used just recently with over 100k miles. Great car so far, overall build quality is impeccable. However, there are some cheap interior pieces that have no business in a Lexus. Interior room is snug, but not entirely uncomfortable (I'm only 5'9" and 160 lbs). My R32 probably shares the same interior volume, but feels more open and luxurious (for a VW of course). The combination of an I6 and RWD just works wonders for handling and stability. Don't know why the automakers are abandoning this concept, save BMW. The 5 speed manual works great, clutch work is buttery smooth. This car serves as a great performance substitute to my 08 R32.

Oooh la la!!
By paul on 12/23/08 23:03 PM (PST)

2002 Lexus IS 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought it new and still love it like crazy. After 150K miles, the leather looks great, the engine, tranny, and suspension feel better than the day I bought it, and I haven't had an unscheduled repair yet. All I have done, besides driving it like I stole it every day, is changed the fluids regularly, replaced several sets of brakes & tires, the clutch at 110K miles, and replaced the timing belt w/water pump at 100K miles. If this car ever gets stolen, I'm buying another one. It is the most fun car to drive that I have ever owned. And I've owned Supras, Camaros, Talon TSIs, a 911, a 280Z, a Celica All-trac Turbo, an SC 400 and a Suzuki Swift GT.

Best car I have ever owned.
By NJ LAWYER on 11/19/08 18:42 PM (PST)

2002 Lexus IS 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Hands down the most fun I have had owning a car. Drive it 100+ miles daily, for 6 years and still loving it. Other than normal maintenance no problems. I have never kept a car this long, usually 4 years and out, but I am looking forward to 4 more years with this one.

The perfect most styled sedan
By Eddie on 07/31/08 13:21 PM (PDT)

2002 Lexus IS 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

this car is near perfect. it looks as good as it drives. the inside very well done. all leather. the controls for A/C is great nothing too confusing. the snow mode is way cool up in the mtns. gauges are well designed and very accurate. and let me tell you this car moves for an inline 6. i got it up to 120 no problem on the freeway. if you're looking for something thats top of the line luxary but is fast and fun to drive and handles similar to an EVO, hook it up with this car. it will not dissapoint.

Best purch I ever made
By bob on 06/28/08 20:08 PM (PDT)

2002 Lexus IS 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought it new. Have put on 135K miles so far with no problems other than normal wear items. Runs like a top. Still love to drive this car. Wonderfully crisp handling, great powerband. No probs w/fuel economy. I get the mfr's rating of 25 mpg on the highway with 70mph cruising. One of Toyota's finest creations.

Nice all around
By dmoney on 06/23/08 08:56 AM (PDT)

2002 Lexus IS 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car used with 76k miles on it. Traded in a Mitsu SUV and I was on a budget. I found this car for under $11k. Car is very fun to drive with quick acceleration and great handling. Ride is a little stiffer than what I'm used to, but hey I went from an SUV to a compact sport sedan. Auto tranny shifts nicely, the interior is nice and has an easy layout.