Used 2002 Lexus IS 300 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific IS 300 model:

Best car I ever owned
By Golfkat

2002 Lexus IS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is by far the best car I have ever owned (and I have owned 7). The car is fun to drive, it handles great and beats most around. There are only a few minor things I would change about this car and none of which are performance. Lexus hit the money on this one.

Comfort, fast, fun, I love the design of the car. I would only have this car in a 5 speed (but I would only have any car in a 5 speed. The manual is so much fun to drive. The best feature is probably the price for what you get.

Really would like volume controls on the steering wheel. Want more power outlets (my S-10 truck had three, and this has two). A little better gas milage (although it is pretty close to competition). Those are the only things on my wish list for this car. I LOVE IT.

I like it more today than when I bought
By griffmac

2002 Lexus IS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I love this car! This car doesn't get the respect it deserves from auto journalists - it's like they didn't want to belive Lexus could build such a great sports sedan on its first try. I have several 3-series in my family and this car is more communicative and fun to drive than any of them (even the 330i w/sport package). When you compare this to the 325i (same price), I can't give the nod to BMW in any area other than maybe the dash design.

Great handling feel. The car feels 200- 300 lbs lighter than it is. Smooth straight 6. Great manual gearbox.

Like everyone says, this car could really use another 30hp. I would like a slightly stiffer suspension and less roll but that's just me. The ride/handling balance is really pretty darn good.

Love the 5 speed
By Matt 2

2002 Lexus IS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This has been a great car. I bought it for my 30th Bday present to myself. Handles great, looks great and is bullet proof.

Love the exterior looks and shifter.

Definitly needs more power. What about an M3 fighter with the 4.3 liter engine? I would buy one in a second. I am about to buy something else, but they may lose me to a BMW M3, if one does not come out with more power.

It's been over a year - no regrets
By joeyzasa

2002 Lexus IS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've had my 2002 IS300 for over a year now. I still love it. Sure, it's not the fastest of the bunch (still pretty quick) and has clear taillights (like every souped up civic out there). However, it makes up for it in so many ways. The car fits me like a glove. It's also nice to be one of only a few IS owners in my area vs the hoards of BMW owners. Overall, I have no regrets with my purchase. The only thing I might change would be to get a 5spd. But the e-shift provides a good compromise between performance and sitting in traffic.

Exterior styling (with exception of the taillights), handling, "fun to drive" factor.

Better gas mileage! I would expect at least 25mpg for a small sports sedan. My 4Runner got roughly the same mpg! Get rid of the clear tailights. Now everyone has them and they're anything BUT "hip." Up the horsepower to contend with others in this segment.

Good Car
By ste

2002 Lexus IS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I love this car, handling is super, and it very fun to drive and always great to look at. However, even family cars like Altima and Accord already have 240hp, Lexus should give some more horsepower to the next generation IS(around 260-280 would be good enough)... Performance aside, this car is very reliable, I had this car for more than two years and no find problem at all..

Both Exterior and Interior, handling, reliability, good price

more horsepower is needed, interior material could use some improvement (although I have no complains about it)