2002 Lexus IS 300 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific IS 300 model:
Loaded 2002 IS300
By rslewis on 08/28/14 06:27 AM (PDT)

2002 Lexus IS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've had mine since 2012, after I bought it I changed ALL fluids and did the timing belt... haven't looked back. This site doesn't allow you to choose a model that has navigation for 2002 which mine has.. also has full blk leather interior, sunroof, 5 speed manual, LSD rear end, heated seats, power everything. Whoever bought this car initially ordered it from the dealer with all those options b/c I haven't seen one like it in person or online.. I love it. 5 speed is the way to go in this car, but finding one is getting hard, nice city power to get thorough traffic, not the best MPG, but i'm heavy footed and you get the trusty Toyota build quality. Great Car!

Absolutely red :) 5M
By oceanis361 on 02/09/14 07:38 AM (PST)

2002 Lexus IS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Have to agree on the fun-to-drive factor!! Whew! this car is a blast to drive! Love the orange interior lights at night! Guage package likened to a wrist watch face is an original touch. Shifting is solid quality feel. Love the sound of the engine. Handles like she's' on rails. Just bought a set of 18" rims (all black) with potenza s-04 pole positions, so the ride should be on fire soon. Im' driving a Subaru GT wagon in the winter but my life is changing so I'm selling Suby after 13 yrs of ownership. :( But Looking forward to buying a set of micheling Xi3, dedicated winters, to be mounted on the stock rims. Should handle the snow just fine and be a lot of fun in the drift too!

Call me IMPRESSED!
By elijahp on 03/12/12 12:35 PM (PDT)

2002 Lexus IS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Original owner here with over 200,000 very enthusiastically driven miles on my IS300. Still runs and looks great. Only unscheduled maintainence was swapping out all of the O2 sensors at about 120K. Bought Denso universals for about $60 ea and soldered them in myself. Did clutch at 100K with aftermarket parts and saved $$$ vs. OEM parts. Aftermarket clutch and flywheel holding up much longer than original, which started to slip a bit at 90K miles. Lots of great aftermarket support for this popular car due to its great driving dynamics, good looks, and wonderful inline 6 motor. Highly, highly recommended. Great driver's car, especially with the manual trans.

Solid as Gibraltar
By Thrilled owner on 11/18/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Lexus IS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought as a demo w/9k miles on it. Now has 188K and haven't had any unscheduled maintenance on it yet. Runs like new. Unbelievable reliability. Can't recommend enough. All the fun of a sports car in a sedan. 5-speed manual is a must for driving enthusiasts. My gas mileage is nearly identical to the window sticker rating, so I don't know why people gripe about the mileage. Besides, even though I might save $500/year in gas with a BMW 3-series, it would be offset by the several thousand per year extra I would have to spend on repairs. I'm willing to pay a tad extra for peace of mind.

Hats off to Lexus
By Driver8 on 06/28/10 15:41 PM (PDT)

2002 Lexus IS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I'm closing in on 200,000 trouble-free miles. Every mile has been a delight. Wish I could give a vehicle score of 11 for the reliability and fun-to-drive categories.

Fun car to drive
By Lindsay on 08/30/09 15:17 PM (PDT)

2002 Lexus IS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've had my IS for a little over a year now. Bought it used as a certified pre-owned with about 63k miles on it. It's an auto with the e- shift option which is fun but I don't use very much. I love my Lexus a little bit more every time that I sit in the front seat! It is a very fun car to drive, extremely reliable, handles great, accelerates quick, rides smoothly, and is very eye catching. Haven't had any problems with it and planning on keeping it for many years to come!

Great Car
By CB on 07/11/09 20:51 PM (PDT)

2002 Lexus IS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Mechanically robust. Silky smooth engine. Manual Transmission. Enough aftermarket parts to turn the car into the real sports sedan it is supposed to be. Rare.

Unstoppable
By RJ on 06/15/09 09:50 AM (PDT)

2002 Lexus IS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

In 7 years I've driven 160K+ fun, yet trouble-free miles. Replaced clutch & timing belt @ 100K. Other than that, just tires, brakes & fluids. Still looks & drives like new. I get 24 mpg on the highway @ 80mph. This car handles crisply and has a nice, broad powerband. I read Edmunds reviews on the '02 BMW 3-series & I can't believe it has a similar review score to the IS when every other review complains about excessive repairs & costs. I put more faith in the reviews of people who've owned the car for a while than those who post a review right after purchase. Reliability is the 2nd most important factor in my buying decision. Fun to drive is #1. IS doesn't disappoint in either category!

One of the best cars on the road
By engfant on 05/27/09 11:29 AM (PDT)

2002 Lexus IS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Everything about this car is 5 Star quality. Never have a problem with 65K miles. You cannot get a better small sedan than this car. The end.

Great Car
By DnA on 05/18/09 13:30 PM (PDT)

2002 Lexus IS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Except for the lame gas mileage and soft paint, this car has been a pleasure. Super fun with the 5-speed and very comfortable on long trips.