2002 Lexus IS 300 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific IS 300 model:
Loaded 2002 IS300
By rslewis on 08/28/14 06:27 AM (PDT)

2002 Lexus IS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've had mine since 2012, after I bought it I changed ALL fluids and did the timing belt... haven't looked back. This site doesn't allow you to choose a model that has navigation for 2002 which mine has.. also has full blk leather interior, sunroof, 5 speed manual, LSD rear end, heated seats, power everything. Whoever bought this car initially ordered it from the dealer with all those options b/c I haven't seen one like it in person or online.. I love it. 5 speed is the way to go in this car, but finding one is getting hard, nice city power to get thorough traffic, not the best MPG, but i'm heavy footed and you get the trusty Toyota build quality. Great Car!

Second IS300
By cubsfanct on 04/08/14 10:47 AM (PDT)

2002 Lexus IS 300 Sedan E-Shift 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second IS300. I have owned 63 cars in my life (I am 33 and get bored easily). I have owned 12 BMW's and thought myself to be a lifelong BMW addict. The IS300 changed all that. The styling, the responsiveness and dependability won me over. I have never had an issue with either IS300 I have owned. They are the only cars I have kept longer than three months. My current one I am tastefully modifying. Owning a GS300 in between the IS300's I am now a Lexus (2JZ) convert. All around service all my have-to-haves. Sportiness, Luxury, Speed and Dependable. The IS300 is truly the complete package.

Absolutely red :) 5M
By oceanis361 on 02/09/14 07:38 AM (PST)

2002 Lexus IS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Have to agree on the fun-to-drive factor!! Whew! this car is a blast to drive! Love the orange interior lights at night! Guage package likened to a wrist watch face is an original touch. Shifting is solid quality feel. Love the sound of the engine. Handles like she's' on rails. Just bought a set of 18" rims (all black) with potenza s-04 pole positions, so the ride should be on fire soon. Im' driving a Subaru GT wagon in the winter but my life is changing so I'm selling Suby after 13 yrs of ownership. :( But Looking forward to buying a set of micheling Xi3, dedicated winters, to be mounted on the stock rims. Should handle the snow just fine and be a lot of fun in the drift too!

Excellent Vehicle
By jtork2 on 11/06/13 16:29 PM (PST)

2002 Lexus IS 300 Sedan E-Shift 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I was lucky enough to purchase my 2002 Lexus IS300 as my first car with my own money my junior year in high school. Car had 120k miles on it and I'm now in college and I've put almost 23k more on it because I just can't resist driving it. Smooth ride, smooth shifting, comfortable seating, love the alcantara! Drilled aluminum pedals are a nice touch. I actually get about 25 mpg when i drive long highway distances at 75 mph, but average right at about 23 mpg on a normal fill-up. Few complaints about this car. I have only had to take it in to the shop for regular maintenance (oil changes, new tires, etc..) Could not recommend this car enough.

Buyer's Remorse Gone Sweet!
By mead300 on 07/10/12 09:56 AM (PDT)

2002 Lexus IS 300 Sedan E-Shift 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car almost a month ago and was ripped off by a flipper who committed odometer fraud. After kicking myself in the butt for falling for it, I realized this is one amazing car. Great handling, lots of power, stylish, A REAL HEAD TURNER! I estimated it to be at about 171,000 miles at the moment but you could never tell because it still hauls better than my 05' Accord with 115K miles. Very comfortable. Can't wait to take a road trip in it. Stylish as it comes but the aftermarket parts are all over if you feel the need. I am putting on a K&N cold air intake to hear that engine purr nicer. Already has a nice soft roar. I plan to keep this car until it dies!

Everything and More
By dpant00 on 03/18/12 09:31 AM (PDT)

2002 Lexus IS 300 Sedan E-Shift 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought it new. It now has 110k hard driven miles. Never had an issue. The Eshift is awesome, I use it almost always. When it's in normal automatic, the shifts are super quick and clean- great for getting off fast and even. Interior is sweet with chrome details and comfortable leather. If I'm really nitpicking, the trunk is small, but it has a cool pass-through feature into the backseat that helps. I've never had a car this long, but I just can't bring myself to sell it because I feel that the value for this car is unsurpassed. Very satisfied, I highly recommend this car even if its used with alot of miles. I wish the rest of my life was this consistent...

Call me IMPRESSED!
By elijahp on 03/12/12 12:35 PM (PDT)

2002 Lexus IS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Original owner here with over 200,000 very enthusiastically driven miles on my IS300. Still runs and looks great. Only unscheduled maintainence was swapping out all of the O2 sensors at about 120K. Bought Denso universals for about $60 ea and soldered them in myself. Did clutch at 100K with aftermarket parts and saved $$$ vs. OEM parts. Aftermarket clutch and flywheel holding up much longer than original, which started to slip a bit at 90K miles. Lots of great aftermarket support for this popular car due to its great driving dynamics, good looks, and wonderful inline 6 motor. Highly, highly recommended. Great driver's car, especially with the manual trans.

Solid as Gibraltar
By Thrilled owner on 11/18/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Lexus IS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought as a demo w/9k miles on it. Now has 188K and haven't had any unscheduled maintenance on it yet. Runs like new. Unbelievable reliability. Can't recommend enough. All the fun of a sports car in a sedan. 5-speed manual is a must for driving enthusiasts. My gas mileage is nearly identical to the window sticker rating, so I don't know why people gripe about the mileage. Besides, even though I might save $500/year in gas with a BMW 3-series, it would be offset by the several thousand per year extra I would have to spend on repairs. I'm willing to pay a tad extra for peace of mind.

Amazing car. One of a kind!
By mike on 07/19/10 10:50 AM (PDT)

2002 Lexus IS 300 Sedan E-Shift 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

The Lexus IS300 is an absolutely amazing car. This car is the most solid-built, reliable car I have ever owned. My previous vehicles - an unreliable Volkswagen and cheaply made Civic - will never be missed. This car runs and drives so smooth you forget it's even running. I bought this gem at 98k miles and it still drives like brand new, I've NEVER done any repairs other than maintenance (tranny flush, timing belt, etc). Like many IS300 owners, I feel like I want go buy a new one when this one dies off. Too bad they don't make the IS300 any longer.

Hats off to Lexus
By Driver8 on 06/28/10 15:41 PM (PDT)

2002 Lexus IS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I'm closing in on 200,000 trouble-free miles. Every mile has been a delight. Wish I could give a vehicle score of 11 for the reliability and fun-to-drive categories.