Used 2002 Lexus IS 300 E-Shift Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific IS 300 model:

Best Car I've Had
By mchad001

2002 Lexus IS 300 E-Shift 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Been driving it since it had 81k miles, it now has 124k miles - all of which were driven quite enthusiastically. Not a single issue. I put a few mods into the car (coilovers, headers, intake, tune, exhaust, chassis braces) and it really wakes the car up! Adds to the already nimble handling of this car. Exterior has aged amazingly, and people are surprised that mine is 13 years old. The engine bay is very easy to work on as well.

The comfort of a lexus with a great sporty touch. Smooth and quick-shifting automatic transmission with steering wheel controls. The steering wheel!! Concise, feels sexy, and no un necessary buttons to distract you. A very pure and connected driving experience. Handling is top notch, but a bit harsh even when I was on stock suspension.

While the seats are extremely comfortable, they get dirty easily. I have the beige interior option and it is high maintenance for sure. Replacing them with recaro bucket seats soon. Dash gets sticky and nasty in warm climates.

The best car I've ever owned.
By macvill

2002 Lexus IS 300 E-Shift 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

The Is300 is a great but rare mixture of sport, luxury, and reliability. I bought this car 2 years ago and the only maintenance performed was scheduled oil changes ($26 btw) and basic system flushes. The engine is smooth and the exhaust note is oh so pleasing to the ear especially in a parking garage. I found that the body aged well and I got compliments often. It's a "higher end" Toyota, but I'd definitely put it on the top of the list for a great used car.

The exhaust note is sex to the ears and much like the waters of the Caribbean, the stereo system is clear,crisp, and deep. I liked the ECT mode which made the transmission hold gears longer for optimized acceleration. There is a full size spare tire with tools (pliers, screwdrivers etc) that come stock with the car which is easily overlooked. It's the little things, friends.

If only it had about 50 or 60 more horsies and pounds of torque, I'd scream with joy. The rears seats did not fold which isn't terrible if you're an eligible bachelor/bachelorette. The 02 had a cheap velvet-like clothe on the doors and seats that got dirty easily and would break down over time. As you can probably guess, replacement parts are a bit expensive.

Dont buy
By bulld

2002 Lexus IS 300 E-Shift 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

If you have about 6k to spend in parts this car is perfect for you, if you dont have that dont get this car, parts are expensive, very hard car to work on. But maybe you get lucky I had alot of bad luck with mine. Also dont try to drive when roads are bad outside.

Steering

Second IS300
By cubsfanct

2002 Lexus IS 300 E-Shift 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second IS300. I have owned 63 cars in my life (I am 33 and get bored easily). I have owned 12 BMW's and thought myself to be a lifelong BMW addict. The IS300 changed all that. The styling, the responsiveness and dependability won me over. I have never had an issue with either IS300 I have owned. They are the only cars I have kept longer than three months. My current one I am tastefully modifying. Owning a GS300 in between the IS300's I am now a Lexus (2JZ) convert. All around service all my have-to-haves. Sportiness, Luxury, Speed and Dependable. The IS300 is truly the complete package.

Styling, Quickness, Dependability

Fold down rear seats would be nice. Other than that no complaints.

Excellent Vehicle
By jtork2

2002 Lexus IS 300 E-Shift 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I was lucky enough to purchase my 2002 Lexus IS300 as my first car with my own money my junior year in high school. Car had 120k miles on it and I'm now in college and I've put almost 23k more on it because I just can't resist driving it. Smooth ride, smooth shifting, comfortable seating, love the alcantara! Drilled aluminum pedals are a nice touch. I actually get about 25 mpg when i drive long highway distances at 75 mph, but average right at about 23 mpg on a normal fill-up. Few complaints about this car. I have only had to take it in to the shop for regular maintenance (oil changes, new tires, etc..) Could not recommend this car enough.

RELIABILITY, smooth I6 engine, quiet engine, quiet exhaust, plenty of "get up and go," stock 17" rims

Partly do to my driving, the tires wear fairly quickly. That's all though