2001 Lexus IS 300 Consumer Review: Best Balanced Car

2001 Lexus IS 300 Sedan - Consumer Review

Best Balanced Car
By E. Griffith on

2001 Lexus IS 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I got married & was looking for a sedan to replace my Honda Prelude, but I didn't want to give up the quickness and great handling. The IS 300 weighs 300 lbs. more than the Prelude but certainly doesn't drive like it. I was not afraid to buy one with over 100,000 miles because my family has owned several Lexus models. They rarely need repairs. I had to replace a cracked wheel (previous owner abuse) and found $200 for a re-manufactured one much easier to swallow than $500 from Lexus. Someone installed metal brake pads and cheap Kuhmo tires. After switching to ceramic pads and Pirrelli P Zero tires, the car is back to it's surprising potential.

1. Awesome balance between amazing handling, smooth ride and tranny, and practical spaces (nice trunk and back seat for a small car). 2. Unmatched reliability 3. 2JZ inline-6 engine like the non-turbo Supra 4. Driver experience: seat, steering, gauges, responsiveness... all wonderful.

A lot of plastic in the interior (which Lexus improved with the new IS) but this car is biased toward sport more than luxury. Now if I could just put the 306 hp V6 from the new IS on my tighter suspension, we'd have a truely capable sports sedan!