Best Balanced Car
By E. Griffith on
2001 Lexus IS 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)
I got married & was looking for a sedan to replace my Honda Prelude, but I didn't want to give up the quickness and great handling. The IS 300 weighs 300 lbs. more than the Prelude but certainly doesn't drive like it. I was not afraid to buy one with over 100,000 miles because my family has owned several Lexus models. They rarely need repairs. I had to replace a cracked wheel (previous owner abuse) and found $200 for a re-manufactured one much easier to swallow than $500 from Lexus. Someone installed metal brake pads and cheap Kuhmo tires. After switching to ceramic pads and Pirrelli P Zero tires, the car is back to it's surprising potential.
Favorite Features
1. Awesome balance between amazing handling, smooth ride and tranny, and practical spaces (nice trunk and back seat for a small car). 2. Unmatched reliability 3. 2JZ inline-6 engine like the non-turbo Supra 4. Driver experience: seat, steering, gauges, responsiveness... all wonderful.
Suggested Improvements
A lot of plastic in the interior (which Lexus improved with the new IS) but this car is biased toward sport more than luxury. Now if I could just put the 306 hp V6 from the new IS on my tighter suspension, we'd have a truely capable sports sedan!