Used 2001 Lexus IS 300 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Lexus Is-300 - Consumer Reviews

2001 Lexus IS 300 Sedan

Base 3.0L 6-cyl. 5-speed Automatic - (70 reviews )

Sweet Car!
By KingLexBucket

2001 Lexus IS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is TOTALLY a sweet car.. 'cept for the MPG.. But it deffinately a head turner.. I've owned my since 2002. I have notice that it runs real hard when the engine is cold.. Plus the noice is loud fromt he outside..

Favorite Features

exterior design..

Suggested Improvements

better MPG...

Tight & Good
By smcfly

2001 Lexus IS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Great driving experience. Feels like you're a pilot locked in for flight - seats, instrumentation, position all put the driver in position to command the car. Intuitive steering and acceleration. Limited slip differential is a must have option.

Favorite Features

Very quiet and well-finished interior. Exterior - esp wheels and front end - look slick and fast.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage sig lower than rated. I got around 16.5 during the first year with a mix of hwy and city driving. It has improved slightly since then. Trunk space is tight and made worse with rollbars instead of shocks - cheeply engineered for a car at this price.

decent car, but........
By ugmike

2001 Lexus IS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Only 1 trip to the dealer for a plastic piece falling off under the car. The main problem I have had with this car, is that the transmission acts confused sometimes. Sometimes when you press the gas, nothing happens for a second! It's like the engine/transmission programming is wacked or something. I read a couple magazines that mention this also. WAKE UP LEXUS! Also, this car shared too many parts with the Corolla, just look at the steering wheel. Performance is not great, it's definitely no M3 by any means. For the price/performance, I'm going to look at one of the new Acuras, they are incredible. it go. But it has been a good car.

Favorite Features

Looks

Suggested Improvements

FIX the stupid transmission programs Lexus!

is300 is amazing
By 4churchill

2001 Lexus IS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

THE IS300 IS GREAT, COULD USE MAYBE A TAD BIT MORE POWER, AND AN ARM REST FOR SRONT PASSENGERS, OTHER THEN THAT THE CAR IS AWSOME

Favorite Features

THE STYLING IS SECOND TO NONE, AND THE AUTO LEVELING HID HEADLAMPS ARE GREAT

Suggested Improvements

I REALLY THINK THEY NEED A FRONT ARM REST, AND ABOUT 25 MORE HP

IS 300 is 3 years old
By 01isowner

2001 Lexus IS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought my IS 300 3 years ago. Looks brand new. Drives like it did on day 1. Zero problems. I made a very good decision to purchase it.

Favorite Features

Build Quality. Exterior Styling. Performance car that is as quiet and smooth on the road as most luxury vehicles.

Suggested Improvements

While I have gotten 28-30 mpg a few times while driving on the highway, I would like to see a regular ability to achieve high end mpg on highway. (28- 30 as opposed to current rating of 24 on highway.)