Used 2001 Lexus IS 300 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Lexus IS 300 - Consumer Reviews

Base 3.0L 6-cyl. 5-speed Automatic - (71 reviews )

Overall, best bang for the buck!
By HIGHAUDIO

2001 Lexus IS 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my third lexus; had an ES300 then went to the GS400 -- AWESOME!!, and now stepped down to the IS300 because I wanted a stiffer, smaller car. It's been EXCELLENT and with it's track record, i'd recommend nothing else in the price range (except for an older GS -- i love them.)

Interior and Exterior designing -- it's a sports car with all the luxuries.

i'm going to buy an attachment for the center console to rest my arm.

IS LOVER
By ndr71

2001 Lexus IS 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Owned for a little over 3 years and very satisfied. Had a BMW325 before and is very comparable with performance and handling. Should've waited for the manual tranny. The only problem is the CD player which had to be fixed/replaced three times. I live in the Midwest and I need Snow tires if it's over 3/4" of snow.

Controls are driver friendly. Ecsaine leather is way better than regular leather. E-shift coupled with the power button great when passing other vehicles. Very low interior noise. Integrated remote in key is cool.

Speaker system lacks bass. Better with split fold down rear seat. Fuel efficiency should be improved. Needs more rear leg room.

Cant go wrong with a Lexus.
By Chinese Guy

2001 Lexus IS 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my IS300 used with 22K miles, about 6 months ago and so far I've havent had any problems with it. I used to drive a Honda Prelude with massive modifications so the IS cannot compare to that car. Off the line the IS is slooooow but the V6 will catch up to any other car. I really wish it had a center arm rest, that would help alot. Also bigger cup holders. Forget about getting Big Gulps from 7- 11. I considered a BMW 3 series but read awful ratings about it. Im glad I chose the IS300 over the 3-series. Fin!

Its a Lexus! I love the stares I get at intersections. The CD changer is nice. HIDs are standard.

More power from a gas guzzling V6. Center arm rest. Bigger cup holders. More dealers in SoCal...theres only one in my area and oil changes take 2 hours! Thats it!

Nice car
By Nice IS300

2001 Lexus IS 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have the car for 3 year with 16,000 miles on it. Is nice car but it have a few complaint such fuel economy I got about 16 mpg in the city. So far this car have replaced driver side power window motor because when I pull the up position the window go up but it go back right away bring back to dealer for warranty repair. Last month I have to bring the car in to check front brake because when I go on freeway over 55mph and try top step on the brake a little and the steering have lot of vibration. Bring back to the dealer and they have to replace the front brake pad and rotor.

E-shift.

Need a wider front fender because when the rain stop and the road still have water the front tire kick the water up to the side mirror a lot in the front.

BMW look out!
By spyderman4774

2001 Lexus IS 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the IS used four months ago and must say I am completely satisfied. I moved up from a Miata and feared I might be sacrificing some of the superior hadling of the roadster in exchange for some additional interior/cargo space. I was wrong! The IS 300 handles wonderfully with the 17" wheels. The torque of the inline 6 is unbelievable. Dealer service has been excellent. The downside to the 2001, is the lack of a front armrest and no folding backseat.

Smooth, quiet, torquey I-6. Luxurious interior, nice factory stereo, and comfortable seats. Great handling and styling.

The armrest issue has been adressed (buy an '02 if you aren't up to retrofitting one). Fuel economy is poor especially in city driving.