Used 2001 Lexus IS 300 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Lexus Is-300 - Consumer Reviews

2001 Lexus IS 300 Sedan

Base 3.0L 6-cyl. 5-speed Automatic - (70 reviews )

Excellent
By Ruth Mc CARTHY

2001 Lexus IS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Fun to drive and comfort on a trip. Get thumbs up on style and just a good looking car and I love my car.

Favorite Features

Easy access to dash board equipment. Nice size trunk. Nice interior fabric/leather

Suggested Improvements

Add mud guards front and rear to prevent sand, dirt and rocks pitting the paint.

Great Used Car
By ISDriver

2001 Lexus IS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought In '05 with 80,000 miles. It runs great and is lots of fun to drive. I get a lot of compliments on the style of the car. I drive it daily to work and get about 18 mpg and have driven the car to South Dakota and to Florida and if I kept the speed around 75 I got about 27 mpg. I can't complain about that. If I average closer to 85 it drops to 23. I don't mind the miles since it is a Lexus.

Favorite Features

This car looks great and is fun to drive! It is rare to see other people with the same car. BMW's are everywhere.

Suggested Improvements

Auto window buttons are loose. CD player is jammed but I did buy it with 80,000 on it so I knew it would not be perfect. My wife would love to have an arm rest. (Fixed on newer models)

***Transmission Review ***
By Billy Thomas

2001 Lexus IS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Ignore the cons about the transmission of this vehicle. The transmission is the best setup ever thought of. its manual, true slap shift, and digital triptonic on the steering wheel with no delay in it. I think the 3 options of shifting this car is what makes it so unique and amazing to drive. Hands down its the stand out option of this vehicle. you honestly must drive it to understand how talented this car is

Favorite Features

transmission

Suggested Improvements

FRONT WHEEL DRIVE. that is the only down fall this car has, it has no front wheel or all wheel drive

Best handling car in its category
By Don-corleone

2001 Lexus IS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Well, the Is 300 is a pure blast to drive, thanks to great steering feedback, wonderful braking components, and strong handling. The 2Jz-Ge is unfortunatly underpowered compared to the comptetition (G35, 330) but nothing that a Turbo can't fix. Yes it is the same engine as the Supra. Car was over engineered from day 1, thus quality is 0 to none...01'models as mine don't have some of the better refinement as 02'+ like armrest, monochromatic rearview mirror, memory seats, Gps, manual tranny...well I had to go aftermarket.

Favorite Features

Enormous potential as the engine is the infamous 2Jz-Ge as seen in Sc 300, Gs 300 and Supra. Slae a Turbo on that babay and you'll have from 300 up to 800 Hp. Handles like no other, only 330 i sport packages beat it but at 10,000$ more. Sport design edition is incredible to.

Suggested Improvements

Car was improved along the years. Only - is LSD being removed mid of 04' on manual tranny. People think it is FWD/4 banger engine when it is RWD/6 inline beauty. Also too many young ricers wannabe are getting this car used and killing the true sporty image it has by turning it into Fast and Furious!

Couldn't be happier
By Branden

2001 Lexus IS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

This car was actually my first and I couldn't have asked for a better car. I absolutely love driving it and enjoy every aspect of the car itself. Really is a true sport sedan that allows for good functionality.

Favorite Features

Inline 6, e-shift, sharp styling, the drive

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders, 6th gear or at least overdrive for highway driving