2001 Lexus IS 300 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Base 3.0L 6-cyl. 5-speed Automatic - (70 reviews )
IS LOVER
By ndr71 on 07/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Lexus IS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Owned for a little over 3 years and very satisfied. Had a BMW325 before and is very comparable with performance and handling. Should've waited for the manual tranny. The only problem is the CD player which had to be fixed/replaced three times. I live in the Midwest and I need Snow tires if it's over 3/4" of snow.

Cant go wrong with a Lexus.
By Chinese Guy on 07/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Lexus IS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my IS300 used with 22K miles, about 6 months ago and so far I've havent had any problems with it. I used to drive a Honda Prelude with massive modifications so the IS cannot compare to that car. Off the line the IS is slooooow but the V6 will catch up to any other car. I really wish it had a center arm rest, that would help alot. Also bigger cup holders. Forget about getting Big Gulps from 7- 11. I considered a BMW 3 series but read awful ratings about it. Im glad I chose the IS300 over the 3-series. Fin!

Nice car
By Nice IS300 on 03/27/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Lexus IS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have the car for 3 year with 16,000 miles on it. Is nice car but it have a few complaint such fuel economy I got about 16 mpg in the city. So far this car have replaced driver side power window motor because when I pull the up position the window go up but it go back right away bring back to dealer for warranty repair. Last month I have to bring the car in to check front brake because when I go on freeway over 55mph and try top step on the brake a little and the steering have lot of vibration. Bring back to the dealer and they have to replace the front brake pad and rotor.

BMW look out!
By spyderman4774 on 03/21/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Lexus IS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the IS used four months ago and must say I am completely satisfied. I moved up from a Miata and feared I might be sacrificing some of the superior hadling of the roadster in exchange for some additional interior/cargo space. I was wrong! The IS 300 handles wonderfully with the 17" wheels. The torque of the inline 6 is unbelievable. Dealer service has been excellent. The downside to the 2001, is the lack of a front armrest and no folding backseat.

Proven faster than an M3
By Max SPek on 03/17/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Lexus IS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

No regrets other than not holding out for the manual transmission. with no upgrades 0-60 is 6.35 on mine, which edges out my friends stick M3 from 1999 by about a second. The best part is, it goes way faster than the Beemer, 165 MPH and the doors start opening up with vacuum pressure so i didnt try to go any faster. The A/C is automatic contrary to the editors beliefs and if anything feels like a corolla its the little twitchy German crap buttons on the M that require you to carry a set of pencils to press accurately.

Good first sports sedan
By shifted on 03/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Lexus IS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Ended up leasing the IS and have had it 3 years and 33000 miles. Still on original tires and brakes. I have had it up to 148 MPH. Exterior and interior are stylish, the instrument cluster makes the interior. The low profiles cause the car to pull to the right every now and then. When stepping on the gas it will sometimes hesitate, has less low end power than expected. Once you hit about 110mph it kicks into O\D, simply incredible at high speeds. Handles beutifully, will pull 90 deg turns at 30+ mph with little back end swing around. Nice car, but planning on stepping up to the bmw 540i or a gs400.

Good first sports sedan
By shifted phase on 03/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Lexus IS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Lexus IS 300 --Impressed!
By jajeep on 02/27/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Lexus IS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car in 2001 brand new and it has been an awesome car. It is fast and sporty while still having the luxury. It is a car that gets looks all over town and people remarking how nice it looks. The fuel economy is good for it being a sports car, but it does drink more than I expected. The engine is great, one that Toyota has been using for the past 20 years in other models like the Supra. I would highly recommend this car, it is a car that has class and will still run great in ten years due to the high quality Lexus has put into it.

Done right, but missing things
By Biggy B on 02/03/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Lexus IS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Have had for almost 3 years, and wanted to give a lease end review. The 2001 model didn't have armrest!! Biggest complaint, by far!!!!!!! Fuel economy is horrid. Experienced alot of paint chips? Not sure...maybe bad luck, but only have 25k miles, over 3 years...not too much highway driving...I think the paint is suspect. Overall, car is very fun to drive, gas mileage isn't great, but turns heads like you wouldn't believe. P.s. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DRIVE IN THE SNOW, with the 17inch wheels....and please don't opt for the 16inch wheels!! Buy an Accord or civic if that is what you want.

nice whip
By gsxR on 01/31/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Lexus IS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

very nice car factory wheels are awsome stylish looks good in black handles well