Used 2001 Lexus IS 300 Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Lexus Is-300 - Consumer Reviews

2001 Lexus IS 300

Base 3.0L 6-cyl. 5-speed Automatic - (70 reviews )

Most Helpful|
Best car ever!
By Jake Class

2001 Lexus IS 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my IS300 in July of 2005 and have had it for 3 years this month. It is great I love everything about the car, nothing has broken down on me. It had 69k on it when I bought it and now its 112k and still runs effortlessly. I have done a lot of modifications on it and they have all been great upgrades. I plan on trading this one in for a 2004 or 2005 with less miles so I can keep driving it for a long time. But everything about this car is great and a great value!

Favorite Features

Love the body style and design of the interior. Stock wheels look great and with little done to the engine you can get a lot more power. I like the suede in this one with the leather better than later years with just leather.

Suggested Improvements

Should have come with armrest (fixed in 02+) and I like the brushed aluminum in the newer years for the interior accents. But if those are my only complaints, you can see what kind of car this is.

Like A Fine Swiss Watch
By zed-er

2001 Lexus IS 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the car brand new. It was one of the first available in Southern California. The car now has about 202,000 miles on it, with regular service by the local dealership. The car has never had a single costly repair. There are no squeaks or rattles. Even with such high mileage, I wouldn't hesitate to jump in the car and drive cross country right now. This is truly a worry free car. I've owned cars from Porsche, Mercedes Benz, Jaguar, Saab, Ford, Chevrolet, Pontiac, Toyota, VW and Honda. This Lexus has been the best car I've EVER owned, bar none. Like a fine Swiss watch, it runs forever. And Lexus provides the best car buying experience anywhere in this galaxy.

Favorite Features

Lexus reliability

Suggested Improvements

None

Great Car
By Lexus Owner

2001 Lexus IS 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this car used, couldn't be happier. Nice to know how reliable it is. Have had for over 3 years now, not a single problem. Want something reliable? This is it. Fun to drive, good on gas.

Favorite Features

Handling, reliability, gas mileage is great.

Suggested Improvements

More horsepower, but I'm used to Mustang GTs and Corvettes, but to be fair, this is still good.

BEST CAR EVER!
By jbneurotech

2001 Lexus IS 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased the car with 19,000 miles in 2002 i commute over 100 miles a day to work and back and the car now has 243000 miles on it and has never given me any problems all i have done has chaged the oil and filters still has original timing belt and plugs have them checked often and mechanic states they still look fine this inline six motor is unstoppable my wife drives an 07 is250 and it has been in for repair atleast 5 times and only has 70000 miles the V6 motor in the 250 is no comparison to the inline 6 in the 300, also my car doesnt use one drop of oil and still has the same torquey power as the day i bought i would by another in a heartbeat this is truly a rare gem.

Favorite Features

everything!!!!

Suggested Improvements

cd changer.

As good as it gets
By Jade300

2001 Lexus IS 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Since the day I first saw this car on a Japanese website back in 2000 I have been in love with it. I picked up my '01 with 60k on the clock and have loved every minute. I performed my basic 60k maintenance and regular oil changes since and it has been problem free. It is a blast to drive but still keeps all the refinements you would expect from a Lexus. And with a Toyota powerplant under the hood, you never have to worry about reliabilty. Fun to drive, decent on gas, great looks and a wonderful engine that takes to modification very well. Highly recommended to anyone looking for a sport luxury sedan that doesnt want to be another faceless BMW driver.

Favorite Features

Spectacular engine (2JZ-GE), fantastic brakes and wonderful suspension. Also gotta love the chronograph gauges.

Suggested Improvements

A little more grunt from the factory, all other complaints (LSD, 5-speed, armrest) fixed in later models.