Used 2008 Lexus IS 250 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific IS 250 model:

Most Helpful|
IS250
By canderson3

2008 Lexus IS 250 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have had this car for three years, and I love most everything about it. It's a great car, and I hope to drive it for a long time. My only complaint is the decreased visibility when backing up or changing lanes.

Worst car I ever had
By RA

2008 Lexus IS 250 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 6cyl 6A)

This is without a doubt the worse car I ever had; can't wait until the lease is up. The visibility is horrible. I can't see where am going, specially if you are trying to back up. The low profile tires are horrible, I have spent over $1500 on tires and the car has less than 15,000 miles. You feel every bump on the road. Terrible ride.

Favorite Features

This is hard, I really don't have any.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the low profile tires, improve visibility, gas mileage .

2008 IS250 with manual transmission
By ardinos

2008 Lexus IS 250 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

Very good torque throught the manual gears, especial 1 thru 4; holds turns very well; easy to handle/steer - good wheel feel; powerful breaking; and still quite, espec. when touring; AND signif. more power to the rear wheels than the automatic. But ... nothing like the MT in my 1994 Lexus ES300. I had many problems with IS manual trans. After buying IS250 as CPO with only 2k miles, all kinds of MT came up: the worst being the flywheel was warped and I could get the car to move away in 1st from a stop -smoothly and with no jerkiness. It was maddening; had to argue and convince Lexus to take it seriously. Finally, 13,000 mi later, they replaced flywheel, which showed hot spots throughout.

Favorite Features

Handling, especially through fast turns. This, including good torque coming out of the turns and great breaks going into the turns. Even with the mediocre man. transmission, it's fun to drive and spunky. Compared to the auto. trans. IS250 (which I drove as a loaner car), the extra power to the rear wheels provided by a man. transmission is clearly noticeable in performance - espec. accelerating out of turns or just straight ahead or coming "off the mark."

Suggested Improvements

Lexus, please don't install a cheap transmission in an good car. (Note: I believe Lexus stopped making a model with manual transmission, starting in maybe 2012.)

Needs more power
By tim

2008 Lexus IS 250 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 6cyl 6A)

The car is a luxury cruiser more than a sports sedan. to me it just doesn't compare to anything European unfortunately. The technology and features however are great and it is definitely an extremely comfortable car. I recommend using the sportshift mode, the power mode and turning off traction to get the most fun out of this vehicle. If I had to choose again I'd save a little longer and get the 350 if I had the choice.

Favorite Features

Keyless entry sound system sport shift, paddle shifters

Suggested Improvements

USB connectivity, much more power needed, 250+ at least

expect better from Lexus
By yogidog00

2008 Lexus IS 250 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have a 2008,bought it with 75k. I now have with 99k miles. The navigation system went out, 1800 dollar repair. You need the screen to control A/c radio etc. Touchscreen just stopped responding one day. For a luxury vehicle electronics should not break after 6 years. At 99k started to overheat, mechanic said there was a crack in the engine head. this vehicle was babied. If this was a kia or lower end car I could understand, but this is a more expensive vehicle because we expect better build quality. If your going to use the same quality standards as a Ford or Kia then don't expect top dollar for your products. The dealership told me the nav system is very common to break.

Favorite Features

Comfortable, classy, good pick up

Suggested Improvements

Better build quality, I shouldn't have to replace internal engine parts with less than 100k or have to replace a whole nav system just to operate the a/c and radio. Build things that last and we will pay top dollar for them.