2008 Lexus IS 250 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific IS 250 model:
expect better from Lexus
By yogidog00 on 09/29/14 11:03 AM (PDT)

2008 Lexus IS 250 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have a 2008,bought it with 75k. I now have with 99k miles. The navigation system went out, 1800 dollar repair. You need the screen to control A/c radio etc. Touchscreen just stopped responding one day. For a luxury vehicle electronics should not break after 6 years. At 99k started to overheat, mechanic said there was a crack in the engine head. this vehicle was babied. If this was a kia or lower end car I could understand, but this is a more expensive vehicle because we expect better build quality. If your going to use the same quality standards as a Ford or Kia then don't expect top dollar for your products. The dealership told me the nav system is very common to break.

Best car I have ever owned
By tony3434 on 05/27/14 15:55 PM (PDT)

2008 Lexus IS 250 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6A)

My 5th car. This one has been by far the most reliable and pleasant to drive. Not one single issue. I wish the seats folded and that it had Bluetooth. Everything about this vehicle is solid. Tire issue but that can be avoided. Factory alignment will make the insides of your tires wear in half the time but there are shops out there that will align it so the wheels are not angled out as much. I average 27 mpg. Max has been 29mpg. If you really tone it down, 31 mpg hw. These figures are obtained by resetting the trip odometer and then dividing the number of gal it took to refill. I am not that tall so the car fits me great. 5 people in the car is a squeeze but not that bad.

2008 IS250 with manual transmission
By ardinos on 10/27/13 14:35 PM (PDT)

2008 Lexus IS 250 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

Very good torque throught the manual gears, especial 1 thru 4; holds turns very well; easy to handle/steer - good wheel feel; powerful breaking; and still quite, espec. when touring; AND signif. more power to the rear wheels than the automatic. But ... nothing like the MT in my 1994 Lexus ES300. I had many problems with IS manual trans. After buying IS250 as CPO with only 2k miles, all kinds of MT came up: the worst being the flywheel was warped and I could get the car to move away in 1st from a stop -smoothly and with no jerkiness. It was maddening; had to argue and convince Lexus to take it seriously. Finally, 13,000 mi later, they replaced flywheel, which showed hot spots throughout.

6-Speed Manual is Great
By jthoms22 on 10/02/11 21:05 PM (PDT)

2008 Lexus IS 250 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

Have seen some bad reviews of manual trans - I think it is excellent through the first four gears, with just 5th and 6th being a bit rope-a-dope to get there. And the manual really makes the engine come alive. Also, i am comparing to a 2008 328i BMW, and a 2004 Honda S2000 - Honda the best obviously, but I would say IS 250 trans better than 328i.

It's not a sports car, but it's a great car
By ocnelson on 03/31/11 10:02 AM (PDT)

2008 Lexus IS 250 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6A)

If you're looking for a sporty drive, go with the 350 or G37. If you're like me, the lead in your foot has been replaced by maturity, this is a great car for you. Bought this car 15k miles ago with 35k miles. It is my first "luxury" car but I've driven all the competition (bmw, g37, tl, c300) Comfortable, looks great, feels great, and the nav makes life easy. The interior is a tight fit so if you are using the back seat all the time for passengers, pass on this one. But if you only use it on occasion then the back seat will do. If you're sitting in the front you'll be comfortable, you'll be pleased with the look of the interior, and you'll find the touch screen easy to use.

Good all around
By crackerfarmboy on 03/17/11 13:07 PM (PDT)

2008 Lexus IS 250 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 6cyl 6A)

I've been reading all these reviews complaining about the ride quality. That's due to the Potenzas from the factory. I replaced mine with Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires and the ride quality is 1000 times better. Also, buy a car with low profile tires, they WILL get damaged...on any car. This car is getting close to three years old and gets driven hard about 80 miles per day. It doesn't have a single rattle, squeak, or any other flaw. It has been perfect since day one. The engine definately needs more power. This car has decent power, but for the $42K that is costs, it should a lot more. The interior comfort and design are outstanding.

IS250
By canderson3 on 03/06/11 06:46 AM (PST)

2008 Lexus IS 250 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have had this car for three years, and I love most everything about it. It's a great car, and I hope to drive it for a long time. My only complaint is the decreased visibility when backing up or changing lanes.

Good for me
By 3dog on 02/17/11 23:12 PM (PST)

2008 Lexus IS 250 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 6cyl 6A)

I've had this car since November of 07 (it's an 08). I, too, had problems with potholes the winter of 07-08 - sidewall damage on 2 tires which had to be replaced with less than 5000 miles on them. I promptly got a set of rims one size smaller with snow tires that were NOT low profile and I've had no problem since. The car handles great in the snow, pulling through the piles of snow our village plows against the end of the driveway. The ride is a little jittery on the expressway, sometimes seeming to find a harmonic convergence with the ridges on the road, but it is comfortable and quiet. I average 25 mpg on my daily drive, up to 31 mpg on long trips, slightly less with the snow tires.

2008 IS250 Valve Spring Problem
By sharon39 on 01/05/11 09:37 AM (PST)

2008 Lexus IS 250 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 6cyl 6A)

With the exception of horrible visibility especially when backing up and changing lanes I loved my IS. At about 30 thousand miles I started to experience a shutter when coming to a stop intermittently. I had it in the shop twice for the problem and they told me there were no error codes and it may have been bad gas. My car is now at 61 thousand miles and needs the valve springs replaced. This is the same problem that there was a recall for on the IS350 and a few other Lexus models a few months ago. I think they need to add the 250 to that recall.

Former Beemer has seen the light
By Rob on 11/10/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2008 Lexus IS 250 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6A)

I've had a few nice cars in my day and this one is my favorite. Grew up with Mercedes and had a few BMW's but this car by far is much more reliable and better overall in the same class. Spent about 10k less than my BMW 325i and it's a much better car even at BMW's price.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.