Used 2008 Lexus IS 250 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Lexus IS 250 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific IS 250 model:

Not Happy
By mujs33

2008 Lexus IS 250 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have owned 3 Lexus's my fist was a 2003 is300 i absolutely loved that car. This car however i don't care for as much. I have had many issues with this car, first the airbag harness cost me 2500 due to a airbag light, the second my rear passenger axle went bad "cost me 1000" now my exhaust has a leak and it's loud and the door trim is coming off and the window makes a loud noise and is slow when you roll it down. No more IS's for me unless it's the 300 again. The interior is smell im 6ft and it just not that comfortable. I like the way the interior looks but like i said unfortable. I have to push the seat all the way back and all the way down to get where i want and no head room.

awd, body style

the reliability this things a turd.

expect better from Lexus
By yogidog00

2008 Lexus IS 250 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have a 2008,bought it with 75k. I now have with 99k miles. The navigation system went out, 1800 dollar repair. You need the screen to control A/c radio etc. Touchscreen just stopped responding one day. For a luxury vehicle electronics should not break after 6 years. At 99k started to overheat, mechanic said there was a crack in the engine head. this vehicle was babied. If this was a kia or lower end car I could understand, but this is a more expensive vehicle because we expect better build quality. If your going to use the same quality standards as a Ford or Kia then don't expect top dollar for your products. The dealership told me the nav system is very common to break.

Comfortable, classy, good pick up

Better build quality, I shouldn't have to replace internal engine parts with less than 100k or have to replace a whole nav system just to operate the a/c and radio. Build things that last and we will pay top dollar for them.

Best car I have ever owned
By tony3434

2008 Lexus IS 250 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6A)

My 5th car. This one has been by far the most reliable and pleasant to drive. Not one single issue. I wish the seats folded and that it had Bluetooth. Everything about this vehicle is solid. Tire issue but that can be avoided. Factory alignment will make the insides of your tires wear in half the time but there are shops out there that will align it so the wheels are not angled out as much. I average 27 mpg. Max has been 29mpg. If you really tone it down, 31 mpg hw. These figures are obtained by resetting the trip odometer and then dividing the number of gal it took to refill. I am not that tall so the car fits me great. 5 people in the car is a squeeze but not that bad.

Durability. Handling. Acceleration. Stable in any weather condition. Decent trunk space. Looks great.

Fold down seats. 4 same wheel sizes so you can rotate tires.

2008 IS250 with manual transmission
By ardinos

2008 Lexus IS 250 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

Very good torque throught the manual gears, especial 1 thru 4; holds turns very well; easy to handle/steer - good wheel feel; powerful breaking; and still quite, espec. when touring; AND signif. more power to the rear wheels than the automatic. But ... nothing like the MT in my 1994 Lexus ES300. I had many problems with IS manual trans. After buying IS250 as CPO with only 2k miles, all kinds of MT came up: the worst being the flywheel was warped and I could get the car to move away in 1st from a stop -smoothly and with no jerkiness. It was maddening; had to argue and convince Lexus to take it seriously. Finally, 13,000 mi later, they replaced flywheel, which showed hot spots throughout.

Handling, especially through fast turns. This, including good torque coming out of the turns and great breaks going into the turns. Even with the mediocre man. transmission, it's fun to drive and spunky. Compared to the auto. trans. IS250 (which I drove as a loaner car), the extra power to the rear wheels provided by a man. transmission is clearly noticeable in performance - espec. accelerating out of turns or just straight ahead or coming "off the mark."

Lexus, please don't install a cheap transmission in an good car. (Note: I believe Lexus stopped making a model with manual transmission, starting in maybe 2012.)

6-Speed Manual is Great
By jthoms22

2008 Lexus IS 250 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

Have seen some bad reviews of manual trans - I think it is excellent through the first four gears, with just 5th and 6th being a bit rope-a-dope to get there. And the manual really makes the engine come alive. Also, i am comparing to a 2008 328i BMW, and a 2004 Honda S2000 - Honda the best obviously, but I would say IS 250 trans better than 328i.

Rev-happy engine, manual trans, very good handling, intuitive features and controls, very good ride, comfortable seats, good steering feel for most driving.

Handling and steering certainly could be dialed up a couple of degrees for really spirited driving. A few more horsepower, a slightly bigger back seat, and memory seats and mirrors in basic premium package.