Used 2006 Lexus IS 250 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Lexus IS 250 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific IS 250 model:

Fun car but driver seat is crippling
By Alexa

2006 Lexus IS 250 Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have had this car for 2 1/2 years. It is a beautiful car and mine did not have any quality problems. It is fun to drive though the acceleration and cornering could be better. I usually have 1 or 2 people in the car so the tiny back seat is not an issue. Few things to be aware of: The wheel well on the driver's side is narrow and has a protuberance that forces me to sit at an uncomfortable angle. I have a hip/SI joint problem that I think the car contributed to. Second thing: Warning lights are extremely annoying -- even for something trivial like a low tire. And the low tire warning goes off a lot for silly reasons like temperature changes -- and only the dealer can turn it off

Exterior design, electronics, nav system.

Use the nav system while driving. Cool it on the warning lights. Make routine service affordable ($80 for an oil change?!?) Get rid of bump in wheel well on driver's side. Fold down rear seats would make it nearly perfect.

40,000 Mile Review
By CBP

2006 Lexus IS 250 Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have driven my 2006 Lexus IS 250 for 40,100 miles. I purchased the vehicle new in 2005. The computer indicates the average gas mileage for 40,100 miles is 26.1 miles per gallon. Highway gas mileage is as high as 36 mpg when driving 65 mph. I have been using mid grade gasoline and the mileage and performance is the same as premium grade. I back off the accelerator when possible to increase the gas mileage. The car has the original brakes and tires. The front brakes need to be replaced but the tires still have at least 10,000 miles left on them. The car has been extremely reliable since a few initial glitches. No major repairs to anything.

The gas mileage is great if driven properly. I use the paddle shifters to down shift when slowing to save the brakes. The car is extremely reliable and comfortable. The OEM tires will probably last 50,000 miles. This car is the best Lexus for the money.

Lexus dealers are now offering an after market back up camera incorporated into the rear license plate frame for $600.00. The blind spot when backing up is an annoying weakness. What about a hybrid version?

So-So for a Lexus
By Lee

2006 Lexus IS 250 Sedan 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 6cyl 6A)

I leased this car after reading several comparisons with BMW, Audi, etc. My first impression was this is a gorgeous car. Previously had a RX300, so I was expecting Lexus, but the IS250 has been an underachiever. Car has been recalled 2x or seatbelt assembly and brakes. Headliner rattle is noticeable when sunroof is open while driving. My biggest gripe would be that on 2 occasions when attempting to enter and start the vehicle, the push button ignition would not start and I was stranded for hours. Dealer could not address my issue, because they were unable to duplicate the problem.

Auxiliary input in center console (for MP3 player). Exterior definitely draws attention and after 2 years bodystyle has withstood the test of time.

Improved electronics (i.e. door release and push button ignition). Brake dust excessive. Larger back seat, my 5 year old has no leg room back there.

Not what I expected
By JOEL

2006 Lexus IS 250 Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6A)

My wife's 2006 Lexus IS 250 with only 20k miles already needs, according to Lexus, over 19 new parts to make it run right. The front brakes, on the other hand, is my second problem. They squeak loudly and leave a heavy coating of dust on the front wheels after only a few miles after washing it. In the morning when the car is cold they seem to grab too quickly and cause jerky stopping. The quality of this car is not what I expected. When I contacted Lexus they told me they were going to fix the problem under the hood but not the brakes because it had too many miles on it.

The exterior visual. It is the only thing that is nice about this car.

Bring the quality back up to what the public expects.

After 2yrs. and 30K miles
By Toydriver

2006 Lexus IS 250 Sedan 4dr Sedan AWD (2.5L 6cyl 6A)

Great daily driver for northern climates. I love the AWD option. Goes through deep snow better than 90% of cars. Comfortable front seats (heated and air-cooled), wheel cntrls for blue tooth + stereo, hands-free Nav, and backup camera add to driving fun & convenience. Use "pwr" setting on tranny or paddle-shift for added performance; "snow-mode" for better control in slippery conditions. Ave. 25.8mpg combined city/hwy over 30K miles; and clocked 33mpg hwy on 500mi trips(very good for AWD car). Dash rattles fixed early on by dealer. Still waiting for wrnty fix to mirror vibration and rare "burnt oil" smell thought due faulty dipstick. Still good OEM tread and brake pads. Tires could be quieter

Comfy front seats, AWD, hands-free phone connection, reliability, "solid" feel.

Fix the rattles in the factory first ! Softer suspension for pot-holed roads. Routine mainenance costs too much. More "back seat" leg room, without changing front seats or front room. Better quality (quieter, smoother) OEM tires.